• 29(current)
WIP Stereoscopic 3D support for half/full SBS, over/under, etc
(2013-07-05, 08:38)giaur Wrote:
(2013-07-05, 07:19)nickr Wrote: Also the resolution will be decreased, more quality loss.

No resolution loss for passive tvs and half over under. Note that passive display has 1920x540 resolution in 3d mode (540 even/odd lines) , so higher movie resolution will not make any difference. If your tv is passive 3d, half over under with high bitrate should look like the same as bluray 3d or with only small quality loss (because of re-encoding, not resolution).
That's true. But Active 3D TV's (shutter glasses) is Full HD 3D for each eye. So converting full 3D HD to SBS or TAB (OAU) means resolution loss as well as quality loss. Even on my humble 46inch Sammy the resolution drop is noticable - dare I say but SBS looks almost like SD quality.

Conversion is out for me.

Really was looking forward to keeping all my collection on the server.
Ah well, we'll just have to keep the physical discs around for a little longer (hopefully not too long).

Keeping faith.
(2013-07-05, 18:36)macnb Wrote:
(2013-07-05, 08:38)giaur Wrote:
(2013-07-05, 07:19)nickr Wrote: Also the resolution will be decreased, more quality loss.

No resolution loss for passive tvs and half over under. Note that passive display has 1920x540 resolution in 3d mode (540 even/odd lines) , so higher movie resolution will not make any difference. If your tv is passive 3d, half over under with high bitrate should look like the same as bluray 3d or with only small quality loss (because of re-encoding, not resolution).
That's true. But Active 3D TV's (shutter glasses) is Full HD 3D for each eye. So converting full 3D HD to SBS or TAB (OAU) means resolution loss as well as quality loss. Even on my humble 46inch Sammy the resolution drop is noticable - dare I say but SBS looks almost like SD quality.

Ah well, we'll just have to keep the physical discs around for a little longer (hopefully not too long).

Keeping faith.

SBS and OU = full resolution.
HSBS and HOU = half resolution.

SBS looking like SD can only be something on your side... Im watching everything on a passive 55" and it looks closer to 1080p than SD or 720p.

I would bet you that you cant see the difference between for example a full OU rip in full bitrate to the source.
(2013-07-06, 01:35)TeKo Wrote:
(2013-07-05, 18:36)macnb Wrote:
(2013-07-05, 08:38)giaur Wrote: No resolution loss for passive tvs and half over under. Note that passive display has 1920x540 resolution in 3d mode (540 even/odd lines) , so higher movie resolution will not make any difference. If your tv is passive 3d, half over under with high bitrate should look like the same as bluray 3d or with only small quality loss (because of re-encoding, not resolution).

Keeping faith.

SBS looking like SD can only be something on your side... Im watching everything on a passive 55" and it looks closer to 1080p than SD or 720p.

I would bet you that you cant see the difference between for example a full OU rip in full bitrate to the source.

Dont you still need a passive set for full SBS? Or not? Not many passive 3d souts out there as far as i know.

Frame packing MVC is still ideal imo. Some might not care, but some of us do. With frame packing version its also cool you can switch between 3d and 2d version to watch what you want, a highly convenient feature not available for SBS OU.

Also as far as I know not many are doing full sbs and full OU successfully. And unless I am wrong wouldnt there still be quality loss.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=113646
(2013-07-06, 20:57)Ghostdivision Wrote:
(2013-07-06, 01:35)TeKo Wrote:
(2013-07-05, 18:36)macnb Wrote: That's true. But Active 3D TV's (shutter glasses) is Full HD 3D for each eye. So converting full 3D HD to SBS or TAB (OAU) means resolution loss as well as quality loss. Even on my humble 46inch Sammy the resolution drop is noticable - dare I say but SBS looks almost like SD quality.

Keeping faith.

Dont you still need a passive set for full SBS? Or not? Not many passive 3d souts out there as far as i know.

Frame packing MVC is still ideal imo. Some might not care, but some of us do. With frame packing version its also cool you can switch between 3d and 2d version to watch what you want, a highly convenient feature not available for SBS OU.

Also as far as I know not many are doing full sbs and full OU successfully. And unless I am wrong wouldnt there still be quality loss.

I dont really understand the first part.

You can watch 3D SBS and OU in 2D.

Im not saying framepacked 3D wouldnt be great, its just that ppl here make it look like XBMC is unuseable for 3D and converted files are unwatchable cause of quality loss.
Its just not true.
(2013-07-06, 21:22)TeKo Wrote:
(2013-07-06, 20:57)Ghostdivision Wrote:
(2013-07-06, 01:35)TeKo Wrote: SBS and OU = full resolution.

Dont you still need a passive set for full SBS? Or not? Not many passive 3d outs out there as far as i know.

I dont really understand the first part.

You can watch 3D SBS and OU in 2D.

Im not saying framepacked 3D wouldnt be great, its just that ppl here make it look like XBMC is unuseable for 3D and converted files are unwatchable cause of quality loss.
Its just not true.

That was suppose to say to take advantage of full over under and sbs dont you need a passive 3d set? Not many 3d sets out there as far as i know, except LG and vizio. And dont you still loose vertical resolution?

Your right its not bad by any means and many wont mind and many probably dont mind SBS over under method, but like you said, many also would like and prefer frame packing. Its really up to the user i guess, I would rather just use the disc and watch in full frame packed resolution then if xbmc cant support it, others might not notice a difference at all and be perfectly happy with the other options.
having a passive display you won't notice the vertical resolution loss of a HOU movie compared to frame packed or OU because the passive display is always using half height regardless of source material. Even frame packed source will be shown with half height which equals HOU. So at least for passive displays missing frame packed format doesn't matter much if you have HOU files. For all active 3D displays it ofc matters and there might be a visible quality loss. Personally I don't care at all - anything looking somewhat better than DVD is fine for me - I even don't mind watching HSBS on my passive display which additionally has half horizontal resolution - still looking good from the distance I'm watching.
(2013-07-08, 10:41)da-anda Wrote: having a passive display you won't notice the vertical resolution loss of a HOU movie compared to frame packed or OU because the passive display is always using half height regardless of source material. Even frame packed source will be shown with half height which equals HOU. So at least for passive displays missing frame packed format doesn't matter much if you have HOU files. For all active 3D displays it ofc matters and there might be a visible quality loss. Personally I don't care at all - anything looking somewhat better than DVD is fine for me - I even don't mind watching HSBS on my passive display which additionally has half horizontal resolution - still looking good from the distance I'm watching.

Yea i know alot of people who dont mind it all, I even know people who buy hdtvs and then only buy dvd's, some are definitely less picky then others, myself however and some others I also know spend more then an average person on there video equipment and tv sets, reducing quality on my active 3d set would defeat the purpose for me anyway since i spent extra money on a better tv with active 3d.
Active 3D is more problematic than passive. Shutter glasses also are not good for your eyes, passive are always better. It's also unnecessairly complicated and expensvie. Personally, I can see huge difference between hsbs and hou on my passive screen but hou is enough for me.

(2013-07-08, 10:41)da-anda Wrote: Personally I don't care at all - anything looking somewhat better than DVD is fine for me - I even don't mind watching HSBS on my passive display

DVD is 720x576, HSBS is 960x540, it looks like dvd, not really better.
(2013-07-09, 01:03)giaur Wrote:
(2013-07-08, 10:41)da-anda Wrote: Personally I don't care at all - anything looking somewhat better than DVD is fine for me - I even don't mind watching HSBS on my passive display

DVD is 720x576, HSBS is 960x540, it looks like dvd, not really better.
h264 usually has stilll more details and less artifacts, even if resolution is about the same. But so what - it's only 3D and for 90% of the 3D movies it's only a marketing gag anyways and really not worth it. I only watch selected movies in 3D (mostly animated ones) and enjoy the rest in full glory ordinary 1080p.

btw - please don't start a passive vs active discussion - there are pros and cons for both sides and everybody has to decide for his own.
What's more it is pretty irrelevant to the discussion, which is about development of 3D features in XBMC.

Would be really nice to see MVC support, it'd be a real coup actually, give the lack of cross platform players that support MVC.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-07-09, 08:50)nickr Wrote: Would be really nice to see MVC support, it'd be a real coup actually, give the lack of cross platform players that support MVC.
Totally agree. MVC support would be a game changer for XBMC.
But in itself it is why MVC support is being held back (perhaps).
Just imagine what would happen to Cyberlink, Arcsoft, et al.
They will probably not let it happen as it threatens their lively hood.
Mvc as far as I know is not supported by ffmpeg. Xbmc uses ffmpeg so today mvc is not possible. Also I can't find any information about mvc support for ffmpeg - they don't even think about adding support for this. I think this is main reason.
So is 3d iso supported or is that full 3d?
no 3D bluray support ATM - or well, you only see the left eye for those
ok thx
  • 29(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stereoscopic 3D support for half/full SBS, over/under, etc11