• 50(current)
WIP Stereoscopic 3D support for half/full SBS, over/under, etc
(2013-12-26, 19:54)lapino Wrote: Hi guys

Been trying out the latest monthly build with some HSBS and FSBS files. It 'works' but not as it should. For example, when I play a HalfSBS file XBMX seems to 'see' it's a 3D file and asks me in which format to play it. When I choose 'same as movie' I get a 3D picture, but it seems the picture is squashed vertically by 50%. This is also apparent when I choose '2D', then the movie plays fine but it's just 50% of its original size vertically. When I play a movie in 2D and/or 3D, subtitles seem to be duplicated left/right too. Tested with the latest nightly build, same issue.

Strange thing is, this is on my Mac Mini running Win7. When I use the same monthly build on OSX, it works fine.

Any idea what might be causing this?

edit: seems it's not exaclty ok on osx too, so I suppose some encoding difference? This is the differences I see using mediainfo (left file=wrong, right file=plays fine). I see a difference in the values "original display aspect ratio", "bits/(pixel*frame)". I suppose it's the latter that is the culprit? How do I fix this?
please check with mkvtoolnix (header editor) what the "display/output resolution" of the borked MKV is. It should be 1080p, if it's not it'll be rendered borked.
Dear Team XBMC, Happy New Year!

First, I want to stress big Thank You for your work to integrate Stereoscopic functionality into XBMC.
Second, I have been playing around with xbmc-13.0-Gotham_alpha10.exe build on Win7 64bit and I have a duty to report my key observations around Stereoscopic mode. Apologies if some of these were already reported or fixed in more recent nightly builds.

1. Switching between different mode movies:
Scenario 1: You Start playing 3DTAB or 3DSBS movie - XBMC will turn into proper Stereoscopic mode. When you Stop playing this movie - XBMC will turn back to Stereoscopic mode: none. Then, you start Playing regular 2D movie next - it will be in regular none stereoscopic mode. Behavior: GOOD/Expected
Scenario 2: You Start playing 3DTAB or 3DSBS movie - XBMC will turn into proper Stereoscopic mode. Then, you go back to the list of movies and Start regular 2D movie, without previously stopping 3D movie. XBMC will not attempt to change Stereoscopic mode back to None and you end up watching 2D movie in one of the Stereoscopic modes. Only once you Stop playing movie - XBMC will switch back to none stereo mode. Behavior: BAD/Unexpected
Looks like implementation is dependent on solely OnPlay and OnStop events, however if you switch between the movies - you have multiple OnPlay events with no OnStop event between the movie switch.

2. Stereoscopic mode change events:
I have not seen any event is generated when Stereoscopic mode is changed. I would like to detect when XBMC is changing Stereoscopic mode and I believe generating event would be preferable implementation. This is my feature request. Thank you

3. Switching TV to 3D mode:
I have Samsung TV UN55ES7500. Yes, "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" turns my TV into 3D mode, however input signal changes from 60p (my usual) to 24p or 23p (frame packed). It is great that is works, but my HTPC performance is downgraded in this mode significantly. Movie playback is slow, XBMC menu navigation is slow. I suspect this has to do with frame packing overkill. So turning 3D mode on TV this way is not acceptable for me from performance perspective.
This is not the case when I keep 60p on the output and simply switch TV into 3DTAB or 3DSBS mode.

Due to this, I have developed prototype Python script to turn my Samsung TV into 3DTAB or 3DSBS mode or back to None by sending sequence of remote keys via LAN. Same way iOS/Android remote apps by Samsung does. Since I cannot yet detect Stereoscopic mode change, I have to attempt to detect the mode by matching 3DTAB and 3DSBS strings in currently playing movie file name. This is a hack - I better just have a notification with Stereoscopic mode and leave detection for XBMC only.
My solution is currently based on Event Ghost and I plan to release it to public soon. Ideally it should be just XBMC plugin in future, but it's a learning curve for me.
Pros: Works on 60p mode instead of 24p mode; No performance degradation; Works on PCs that cannot switch to frame packed 3D mode;
Cons: TV specific; TV has to be connected to LAN; You can see 3D switch menu on TV itself during key press sequence (like you see when manually switching with your remote)
#1 - I think this is also the same problem that is happening with videos in a playlist - http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14746

#2 - I think this would be a wonderful addition Smile
Is there a not so secret recipe to the file naming to get XBMC/Gotham to recognise this and bring up the 3D selection menu when the media is launched?
I've been using 'XBMC 3D (2013) 1080p SBS.ext' or names to that effect, and it seemed to work fine but it might have been luck as i'd say its got a 20-30% success rate for all 3D content. My TV recognises its a 3D signal so it switches, but XBMC is still on 2D mode.

I dont know if this is the fault of the media file, an issue with how im renaming them and im just getting lucky with some files, or whether XBMC uses something else, flags within the file that tell it its 3D... havent a clue.

This goes for OU and SBS, full or half. Anything it would seem, its all a pain in the bum Big Grin

edit - In using Alpha10 Win32, and using on WS2012-R2 if it helps
Xbmc relies on the file naming to identify 3d. Read through this very thread for details.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
The pre-defined name conventions are:

stereoscopicflagssbs - "3DSBS|3D.SBS|HSBS|H.SBS|H-SBS| SBS |FULL-SBS|FULL.SBS|FULLSBS|FSBS|HALF-SBS";
stereoscopicflagstab - "3DTAB|3D.TAB|HTAB|H.TAB|3DOU|3D.OU|3D.HOU| HOU | OU |HALF-TAB"

You can add your own naming convention in advancedsettings.xml.
I think that 3, being so device specific, is more likely to be incorporated via addons than included in core XBMC functionality. Coupled with 2, it would be very viable.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-01, 05:02)baijuxavior Wrote: The pre-defined name conventions are:

stereoscopicflagssbs - "3DSBS|3D.SBS|HSBS|H.SBS|H-SBS| SBS |FULL-SBS|FULL.SBS|FULLSBS|FSBS|HALF-SBS";
stereoscopicflagstab - "3DTAB|3D.TAB|HTAB|H.TAB|3DOU|3D.OU|3D.HOU| HOU | OU |HALF-TAB"

You can add your own naming convention in advancedsettings.xml.

Thanks for that, particularly for pointing out that i can add my own.
Im using 'Half-SBS' & 'Half-OU' so im just wondering whether XBMC is being extremely fussy about case-sensitivity. I noticed earlier when i changed the filename (part of the films title from m to M) that XBMC fired it up seconds later without a care in the world. Yet a lot of my files arent bringing up the 3D selection menu, the TV kicks in seconds later but we're back to pre-Gotham issues then, essentially no support for 3D.

I'll try the xml file, but maybe its just better to go with a recognised name format and spend an hour in file manager and an sql editor re-routing all the 3D library files & paths to their approved address.
I'm pretty sure it is case sensitive, at least on the part that needs to match.
The other thing to make sure that the Stereoscopic mode flag is set in the case of MKV files.
(2014-01-01, 19:31)giftie Wrote: The other thing to make sure that the Stereoscopic mode flag is set in the case of MKV files.
I've picked up mkvmerge and it seems i can open a mkv file and add it, but it looks like its a 2-3min job when i tell it to start muxing, not terrible but I was hoping it'd be much simpler/quicker - in, edit, save, onto the next file etc.
To go through all each file and set it, add it to the queue and move on to the next file, then let it go through them in an hour or so wouldnt be too bad i suppose, its not using the CPU so i could even RDP into my server and do it there, saving on network traffic and speeding up write times.

Now its finished, its given me a mk3d file, renaming it to mkv is fine, but XBMC doesnt even show the file when i look in the folder (regular source file/folder view). Im guessing this is something advancedsettings.xml could fix, but does anyone know if this particular file format will be added to the official build of Gotham?
Im reluctant to changing something in advancedsettings.xml simply because i'd rather not have modified settings files unless its unavoidable (keymaps etc)

If it'll be added, then i'll make the modification knowing it'd be added sometime and i'd stick with the mk3d format, but if its not then i might as well just change the output file so it stays as mkv, but mk3d is another nice means with which to identify it as 3D content.
(2014-01-02, 05:47)PaulC2K Wrote:
(2014-01-01, 19:31)giftie Wrote: The other thing to make sure that the Stereoscopic mode flag is set in the case of MKV files.
I've picked up mkvmerge and it seems i can open a mkv file and add it, but it looks like its a 2-3min job when i tell it to start muxing, not terrible but I was hoping it'd be much simpler/quicker - in, edit, save, onto the next file etc.
To go through all each file and set it, add it to the queue and move on to the next file, then let it go through them in an hour or so wouldnt be too bad i suppose, its not using the CPU so i could even RDP into my server and do it there, saving on network traffic and speeding up write times.

Actually, you should be able to do this with the header editor without having to remux the file.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Header editor is easy to use, it is just like editing mp3 tags. Values to use for stereoscopic mode are:

Stereo-3D video mode (0: mono, 1: side by side (left eye is first), 2: top-bottom (right eye is first), 3: top-bottom (left eye is first), 4: checkboard (right is first), 5: checkboard (left is first), 6: row interleaved (right is first), 7: row interleaved (left is first), 8: column interleaved (right is first), 9: column interleaved (left is first), 10: anaglyph (cyan/red), 11: side by side (right eye is first), 12: anaglyph (green/magenta), 13 both eyes laced in one Block (left eye is first), 14 both eyes laced in one Block (right eye is first)) .
Is header editor part of mkvmerge?
(2013-12-31, 18:30)pavel.kuzub Wrote: 1. Switching between different mode movies:
Scenario 2: You Start playing 3DTAB or 3DSBS movie - XBMC will turn into proper Stereoscopic mode. Then, you go back to the list of movies and Start regular 2D movie, without previously stopping 3D movie. XBMC will not attempt to change Stereoscopic mode back to None and you end up watching 2D movie in one of the Stereoscopic modes. Only once you Stop playing movie - XBMC will switch back to none stereo mode. Behavior: BAD/Unexpected
Looks like implementation is dependent on solely OnPlay and OnStop events, however if you switch between the movies - you have multiple OnPlay events with no OnStop event between the movie switch.
Yes, you're right that XBMC currently relies on the onPlay/stop events of DVDplayer. Will have a look.

Quote:2. Stereoscopic mode change events:
I have not seen any event is generated when Stereoscopic mode is changed. I would like to detect when XBMC is changing Stereoscopic mode and I believe generating event would be preferable implementation. This is my feature request. Thank you
The stereomode XBMC is currently running in is stored in a setting and you can watch for it's change event (if it's exposed already via JSON or alike, not sure)

Quote:3. Switching TV to 3D mode:
I have Samsung TV UN55ES7500. Yes, "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" turns my TV into 3D mode, however input signal changes from 60p (my usual) to 24p or 23p (frame packed). It is great that is works, but my HTPC performance is downgraded in this mode significantly. Movie playback is slow, XBMC menu navigation is slow. I suspect this has to do with frame packing overkill. So turning 3D mode on TV this way is not acceptable for me from performance perspective.
This is not the case when I keep 60p on the output and simply switch TV into 3DTAB or 3DSBS mode.
well, it feels slower because it's rendering with 24fps and not 60fps, so XBMC seems to be slower but it's just a lower frame rate, your HTPC is not busier than with 60p/fps (in contrary it should use less CPU, depending on the performance of your HTPC). XBMC is not yet using frame packed format or alike as we can't (there is no cross plattform solution for this, nor is there any common API for this i.e. on Windows so we'd have to mess with vendor specific libraries)
  • 50(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stereoscopic 3D support for half/full SBS, over/under, etc11