• 75(current)
WIP Stereoscopic 3D support for half/full SBS, over/under, etc
Hi Guys

Been testing 3D playback for a while through all the different versions of Openelec since Gotham was released. I seem to have found a slight problem when displaying half over/under files on a passive tv. The image appears to be shitfted up by a few pixels which makes part of the top of the image appear on the bottom.

The film is Monsters University and is half o/u. My preferred mode is Over/Under and I have the display set to adjust refresh to match video.

My TV is an LG 55LM760T and is set to "Just Scan". The native resolution and resolution in XBMC is 1920x1080.

When I initially play back the file (before switching the TV to 3D mode) I can see that the top pixels seem to be cut off as below:

Here's a closer image of the top of the screen:

And this is a picture I took of the display in 3D mode:

As you can see the image appears to be slightly shifted up.

I did notice that when I change the resolution in XBMC to 1366x768 the issue goes away.

I've ran mediainfo on the file and uploaded the results to pastebin

http://pastebin.com/eYrkL0AV

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a problem with my setup can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks
@da-anda something I've wondered, why the use of the language monoscopic, stereoscopic, stereomode in the GUI, this has struck me as being very techie and not terms a novice would necessarily understand. Is there a particular reason why plain easy to understand by anyone 2D and 3D aren't used throughout the settings?

Personally I don't particular mind how it's done as I never use 3D, but it was something I noticed when doing the setting descriptions which seemed not very user friendly to me.
well, 2D and 3D would technically be just wrong. It's no real 3D in terms of computer game 3D but only stereoscopic. Marketing guys only used 3D to promote their products because it sounds more hype. But I'd be fine with changing the labels to simply 2D/3D. A compromise would be to use "stereoscopic 3D" instead of only "stereoscopic". But if you have suggestions on how to change particular labels, shoot and I'd be happy to PR those.
Was mainly curious as to the reasoning, I remember when first seeing stereoscopic in the gui and wondering what the hell it was at first before eventually realising ah this is to do with the new 3d support, but perhaps it was just me slow on the uptake.

It's not a big deal for me, just something I wondered if we could improve the language of, I would be interested in the thoughts of the users here as I don't want to meddle in an area I personally don't use.
@jjd-uk/da-anda
I'm using the stereoscopic mode i think since it was available in the nightlies so i'm used to it. For normal user's following the 3D hype i believe 3D/2D is more understandable but "Stereoscopic (3D)" should be a good compromise, then its equal/similar to "Monoscopic (2D)".
Fileservers:
Core i5 2500k, 16 GB RAM, Areca 1280ML 24x RAID Controller, 4x 2TB Samsung HDD, 6x 500 GB Samsung HDD, VM ESXi 4.1, Windows 7 x64
Synology Diskstation 2413+, 6x 6 TB WD RED, 6x 3 TB WD RED

My PC:
Intel Core i7 2600K, 16 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD, Geforce GTX660, Windows 7 x64

HTPC:
Zotac ZBOX ID91, 8 GB RAM, 64 GB Crucial M4 SSD, Windows 7 x64
(2014-08-17, 05:03)brownbear1984 Wrote: As you can see the image appears to be slightly shifted up.

I did notice that when I change the resolution in XBMC to 1366x768 the issue goes away.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a problem with my setup can anyone point me in the right direction.
Sorry, no idea, but this looks more like an issue with your setup. Which HW are you using - PI, dedicated HTPC? Which graphics card (in case of HTPC)
(2014-08-17, 22:08)da-anda Wrote:
(2014-08-17, 05:03)brownbear1984 Wrote: As you can see the image appears to be slightly shifted up.

Sorry, no idea, but this looks more like an issue with your setup. Which HW are you using - PI, dedicated HTPC? Which graphics card (in case of HTPC)

I'm running a dedicated HTPC which is running Intel I3-3225 which is Intel HD 4000 graphics I believe.
that's odd. You said you're LG is running in "just scan" mode? Please double check, because IIRC it's applying the image settings individually for each refresh rate (I had to adjust the picture modes for each refresh rate). Also, please check if you have some odd GUI calibration in Settings -> System -> Video -> Video Calibration. In the meantime I try to get some OE dev at hand and ask if this issues is somewhat familiar (maybe a driver issue)
(2014-08-17, 22:19)da-anda Wrote: that's odd. You said you're LG is running in "just scan" mode? Please double check, because IIRC it's applying the image settings individually for each refresh rate (I had to adjust the picture modes for each refresh rate). Also, please check if you have some odd GUI calibration in Settings -> System -> Video -> Video Calibration. In the meantime I try to get some OE dev at hand and ask if this issues is somewhat familiar (maybe a driver issue)

Tv is definitely in "Just Scan" mode, no overscan at all and here is my video playback settings

@da-anda
I see you're working on video playlists containing both 2D and 3D content. Just thought I would give you a heads up about a bug that's effecting such playlists; playlists with videos that have different view modes (zoom mode, 3d mode, etc). http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/15322
@brownbear1984 - I asked fritsch (OE dev) and he also thinks it could be driver related. But just to rule out some odd XBMC setting, could you please remote access your HTPC and temporarily rename the .xbmc folder so that you start with a clean install? Just to be sure. Sorry that I can't give any other suggestion.

@sialivi - sorry, that's beyond my skills I fear.
just tried and got the same again i'd say it's definitely not settings now.

Only stuff I changed from default was:-
Adjust Display refresh rate to match video - "Always"
Playback mode of Stereoscopic Videos - "Use Preferred"
Preferred Stereoscopic mode - "Over/Under"

and Audio device settings

ok guys, new test build for the improved 3D handling and playlist support: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/win3...aylist.exe
@nickr unfortunately I can only provide Windows, Android, OSX and iOS builds via Jenkins - Linux users will have to compile on their own (that's what linux is about, right? Wink )
(2014-08-18, 09:09)da-anda Wrote: Linux users will have to compile on their own (that's what linux is about, right? Wink )

LOL not always! I could counter that that's what a ppa is all about, right.

But I may now have a plan for this week's IT project. Where is your source located?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
well yes, there is PPA, but as a non-linux guy I have no idea on how to provide this stuff + it's probably not worth the effort. You could still wait for it to be merged and then use the unstable PPA, test and report bugfixes.

source is here: https://github.com/da-anda/xbmc/tree/3D-playlist (or PR5237 ).
  • 75(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stereoscopic 3D support for half/full SBS, over/under, etc11