Critical SAMBA/SMB bug 9/10 - 10/10 CVS!
xbmc builds from 2005-09-09 -> 2005-09-10 contains a critical bug that could ruin your music collection when accessing over smb. don't use it!

it's been fixed in cvs as 2005-09-10 21:07 cet..

issue only affects people who have enabled write access to their music share. files would be truncated as their tag information was being read.

/elupus

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(elupus @ sep. 10 2005,21:16 Wrote:xbmc builds from 2005-09-09 -> 2005-09-10 contains a critical bug that could ruin your music collection when accessing over smb. don't use it!

it's been fixed in cvs as 2005-09-10 21:07 cet..

issue only affects people who have enabled write access to their music share. files would be truncated as their tag information was being read.

/elupus
i there a way to repair the file's? 90 % of my collection is destroyed, before i revert to my latest backup (14-12-04) i would like to know this.
i'm sorry no.. the files have been truncated Sad.

/elupus
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

(elupus @ sep. 11 2005,15:06 Wrote:i'm sorry no.. the files have been truncated Sad.

/elupus
well, shit happens after copying back the backup i will stay with some albums that have empty files, those i will need to get again. i guess some of my new files are on my ipod but not everything.

unfortunately i had write access enabled on the share, but file deletions were of in the xbmc settings. sometimes i enable it to delete bad files or albums with errors. i guess this is the risk of compiling xbmc myself.

i hope there are not to many people experiencing the same as i!

my m4a file's where untouched, only mp3's where destroyed i'm glad i do make backups!
sorry....but i like that xbmc use all my archives (music,videos,etc) in xbox hd and samba like read only.
what options should i change?
handle archives?? what this means?
i just put "allow file deletion" to off
should i set to off "handle archives"?
thanks!
just don't use any build from 9/10-10/10.

ts
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

no garantee but you can try using a software program such as 'ontrack easyrecovery datarecovery' to attemt recovery of any lost files on your windows computer
well that was one way to free up 60gb of hhd space Image

my girlfriends going to kill me......... shes just finished copying hundreds of lps to mp3s. took about 3 months :lol:

anyone got somewhere i can hang out for a couple of months :lol:

snappz
(dead man walking)
XFX nFORCE 630I, ASUS EN9400gt (512m), Antec Fusion V2 case, E6850 @ 3Ghz, 2GB 800mhz Ram.
Sony KDL52X3100. Integra DTR10.5.
any recovery software should work fine actually.. no data has been written over the files, so they are just truncated.. so even if filenames are lost id3 tags should be intact and can be used to recreate filenames.

(snappz @ sep. 12 2005,11:12 Wrote:well that was one way to free up 60gb of hhd space Image

my girlfriends going to kill me......... shes just finished copying hundreds of lps to mp3s. took about 3 months :lol:

anyone got somewhere i can hang out for a couple of months :lol:

snappz
(dead man walking)
http://www.active-undelete.com/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Critical SAMBA/SMB bug 9/10 - 10/10 CVS!0