Linux No HDMI audio in XBMC
Clearly something is going on, though I cant test your scenarios for two reasons, one I dont have ATI and second I dont have Full desktop with XBMC installs, my HTPC is dedicated to XBMC and my desktop does have mint installed as a dual boot but I cant duplicate sound issues because XBMC is not started automatically and my monitor doesnt have sound and speakers are analog.

uNi

I had read that it is important to put "radeon.audio=1" into the grub config and I have confirmed this is happening. Despite this when XBMC "autostarts" the audio output devices are not the same as when I manually start.

Thanks for your help, I have something more concrete to continue investigating at least. And I have a work around for now.
Hi Bradman334,

Your issue sounds similar to the problem I was having.

Frodo kept defaulting to using Pulseaudio after reboot or suspend. Fix for me was to uninstall pulseaudio and libasound2-plugins as suggested by wsnipex. Smile

Unless of course you absolutely need pulseaudio for other things?

Thread below:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=148103
pulseaudio is needed by the Desktop he uses in mint however libasound2-plugins is needed by nothing.

uNi
Thanks auszig, your issue sounds very much the same as mine. Thanks for the link to your thread, I'll be trying out the solutions tonight.

Did you try the nightly build that wsnipex recommended or did you just stick with the solution of uninstalling pulseaudio and libasound2-plugins?
@bradman334

See the message I posted just something to bare in mind.

uNi
(2012-12-18, 02:32)uNiversal Wrote: @bradman334

See the message I posted just something to bare in mind.

uNi

Thanks uNi.

My likely approach will be to remove libasound2-plugins first. If that doesn't work I'll likely try nightly build of xbmc that was suggested in the other thread. Failing that I guess I'll try temporarily removing pulseaudio (but I want to do some more research on that first to see if it will have any adverse effects in gnome).

You will, Pulseaudio is dependant on many desktop things. You remove one many will crumble with it.

This is why I have a HTPC without window managers just XBMC no pulseaudio and many other packages that only get in the way.

Big Grin Ill keep and eye on this for curiosity only.

uNi
I use my HTPC for other functions, i.e. Skype, which is why I have it running on Mint. Hopefully I can find a solution that allows me to keep pulseaudio installed.
Dual booting for when you need something else and one just for XBMC is simplest. or continue doing the workaround.

Your problem with pulseaudio is old now and noone come up with any solutions so far, I could point you to two fistfulls of nothing but frsutration on users that are stuck.

uNi
Thanks uNi, point taken. I've already spent too much time and energy trying to sort this out (and reading through others frustrations in trying to do the same or similar!).

Dual boot is now on the list as a potential solution, thanks.
From what I have read some people have successfully removed pulseaudio on both Ubuntu and Linux Mint entirely and used alsa instead for skype etc.

I haven't tried on my XBMC box yet, but I am going to try getting alsa working for the Ubuntu desktop (although I don't really need it at the moment).
I have read that too auszig, it seems many have tried with varying degrees of success (in addressing whatever issue they were having with pulseaudio). I've got nothing to lose on the machine so I don't mind giving it a go if it comes to it.
An update from some further testing.

When I run XBMC manually the audio option "HDA ATI, HDMI" exists and with it audio works perfectly.

When XBMC auto starts there is no HDMI option. This includes initial boot of the HTPC as well as exiting XBMC, logging out of the Mint session and allowing XBMC to auto start from there (it automatically logs in as the XBMC user and runs XBMC). What would be different between a manual and auto start of XBMC such that the auto start does not have the HDMI option? Could it be a timing issue? I can turn on debugging and post logs if that is helpful.
I just updated to Frodo RC2 and even though I still don't have the "HDA ATI, HDMI" audio device when auto starting (it defaults to Playback through PulseAudio) the audio is working with that setting! It seems a little strange to me but its working so I am not complaining.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No HDMI audio in XBMC0