• 30(current)
Live TV doesn't work on Openelec [tvheadend server]
Hi all,

Maybe this has already been solved...

I'm a bit of a noob but, for me at least, I've fixed it.

All i did was disable hardware acceleration for omxplayer in System>Settings>Video>Acceleration.

I'm using an Rpi2
Openelec
Kodi Helix

ps This is the first post I've ever made anywhere :-)
(2015-11-20, 14:42)PiBalding Wrote: ps This is the first post I've ever made anywhere :-)

A good first post was this, young Skywalker...
PiBalding Wrote:All i did was disable hardware acceleration for omxplayer in System>Settings>Video>Acceleration.

That's all very well until you want to play a video and then the RPI's CPU is hitting 90℅+ or even stuttering if it can't be handled without hardware acceleration.

So not really a fix I'm afraid.
I haven't had that problem. I've over clocked the Rpi2 to the Turbo setting using the openELEC config addon.
All my video and streaming plays smoothly.
(2015-11-28, 02:58)doveman2 Wrote:
PiBalding Wrote:All i did was disable hardware acceleration for omxplayer in System>Settings>Video>Acceleration.

That's all very well until you want to play a video and then the RPI's CPU is hitting 90℅+ or even stuttering if it can't be handled without hardware acceleration.

So not really a fix I'm afraid.

I haven't had that problem. I've over clocked the Rpi2 to the Turbo setting using the openELEC config addon.
All my video and streaming plays smoothly.
If you're in the UK and watching SD Live TV or in the US and watching SD or HD OTA TV you'll be watching MPEG2. If you haven't bought the additional MPEG2 licence from the Pi Store you won't be able to use hardware acceleration. The Pi and Pi 2 come with an H264 licence, but the MPEG2 licence is an optional extra. SD can be software decoded (though deinterlacing is not likely to be great) - but it's always advisable to use hardware decoding WITH the licence.
(2015-11-28, 20:22)noggin Wrote: If you're in the UK and watching SD Live TV or in the US and watching SD or HD OTA TV you'll be watching MPEG2. If you haven't bought the additional MPEG2 licence from the Pi Store you won't be able to use hardware acceleration. The Pi and Pi 2 come with an H264 licence, but the MPEG2 licence is an optional extra. SD can be software decoded (though deinterlacing is not likely to be great) - but it's always advisable to use hardware decoding WITH the licence.

Yes, I already have the MPEG2 licence. I just don't seem to be experiencing any problems.
The dvb-t usb rtl-sdr dongle is a cheap generic device using the Realtek 2832U chip, from eBay. The hdmi cable is a good one. I've turned off some features like rss and weather on the home page etc to get more speed out of the pi. The arial is a professionally installed setup that connect to an antenna on the roof of a three story block of flats. Perhaps there's some idiosyncrasies in my setup that conspire to make it work.

I'd be happy to answer any questions if it would help anyone, although you might need to guide me through how to find the info you need.
I meant it's likely to cause issues playing AVC/MP4 video files with hardware decoding disabled, not TV MPEG-2 files. Depends on the bitrate, etc of course but even if your files play OK with software decoding it's still a lot less efficient.

I have major problems with TVheadend anyway. Every time I go to use it my USB tuner is no longer detected and I have to power-cycle to fix it (reboot doesn't work), which might be a driver or OE problem but either way I can't use my RPi for TV. It's a KWorld dual tuner and I bought three of them (one for my brother's RPi, where he says TVheadend keeps uninstalling itself!) as they were listed as working with Linux certainly, maybe even the RPi specifically.
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live TV doesn't work on Openelec [tvheadend server]5