OS X SQL not updated from Mac, is updated from ATV2
Decided to get my devices in sync via the HOW-TO but have run in to an odd issue and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

I have a mac mini based htpc (that also hosts the mysql server) and an appleTV2 (environment and relevant logs below). The ATV2 accesses and updates the SQL db just fine, however the mac mini (where the db is hosted) does not. I see ACCESS DENIED in the htpc xbmc logs, but for the life of me can't figure out where the permission error is, as the ATV2 works. The advancedsettings.xml are identical on both.

Any ideas?

Environment:

Mac mini:
OSX 10.8
12.0-Frodo RC1 12/11/12
MySQL 5.5.28
xbmc.log - PasteBin

ATV2
12.0-Frodo RC1 12/11/12
xbmc.log - PasteBin Stuff of interest is around 02:45 (Left the long list of setup items in as I wasn't sure of their importance so it's a bit big)

AdvancedSettings.xml
Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <videodatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>192.168.1.50</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
    </videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>192.168.1.50</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
    </musicdatabase>
</advancedsettings>

MySQL DBs:
Code:
mysql> SHOW DATABASES;
+--------------------+
| Database           |
+--------------------+
| information_schema |
| MyMusic32          |
| MyVideos75         |
| mysql              |
| performance_schema |
| test               |
+--------------------+
6 rows in set (0.01 sec)

I'd be grateful for any ideas.
you need to allow the user 'xbmc'@'htpc.matrix' the correct rights (thats the issue with mysql - users are not unique - you need to add a user for every host he wants to connect to - you could also use 'xbmc'@* or so which would allow connection from every host).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks for the quick reply Memphiz!

If i understand you correctly, I need to GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'xbmc'@*; is that about it? I gave that a shot and no joy. Sad

This is my first interaction with MySQL so please pardon my ignorance. The way I understand the wiki, I created a mysql user "xbmc", and gave that user rights to everything in the db. Then XBMC hits the sql server port with that username. You're saying each XBMC box is its own version of the 'xbmc' user (courtesy of individual hostname) and requires consideration? If that's correct, does the ATV2 work because it connected first and took the original 'xbmc' user somehow?
Just looked into the mysql help - it has to be

'xbmc'@'%'

You should remove all other xbmc users from the mysql db

use mysql;
select * from users;

this shows you the users of your mysql server.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Thanks for the pointer Memphiz. I found the wildcard section in the mysql manual thanks to your help. However, i wasn't able to get the 'xbmc'@'%'; working. I was able to use your first thought and create the explicit xbmc at that host and all works well now. Thanks!

I'll have to peel back the mysql documentation later on to clean things up a bit, but for now, it works!
yeah you have to remove all xbmc users and only add one with the wildcard host...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SQL not updated from Mac, is updated from ATV20