TvService crash on channel change
Hello there,

I've installed the Frodo RC together with the MediaPortal service and the TvServiceXBMC plugin. From time to time, when I change channels, the service crashes before completing the operation. I then used WinDbg to see where the failure occurs. It turned out that VBICodec.ax causes a segfault. Further tracing in the TvService source revealed that his seems to happen in a call to IMediaControl::Stop() when the TV filter graph is stopped. My workaround is to disable the instantiation of the VBI filter which works for me now.

While this may seem to be a bug in the MediaPortal service or VBICodec itself, I'm posting this here since this only occurs in XBMC. If I use MediaPortal as the front end, TV works without any crashes. This may hint towards the TvServiceXBMC plugin whic may use the TVController in a way it doesn't expect to be used (maybe a rare race condition?). Any hints on how to debug this further?

Here are some specs that may be interesting:
Win7 32bit
TV Card: ASUS MyCinema PE-6200 (analog card w/ hw MPEG2 encoder)
MediaPortal 1.2.3
XBMC Frodo RC
Nvidia ION
Never heard of this problem before. Maybe it is related to analog tv. I'm only testing with DVB-T/C. I will see if I can reproduce it when using the analog tuner of my hybrid card.

Difference between the MediaPortal client and the XBMC client is currently that I'm calling a stop timeshift followed by a start timeshift on a channel switch instead of only a retune (without stopping the timeshift).
To get the same behavior as a MediaPortal client, you could enable the "Fast channel switching (don't stop timeshift)" option to see if this makes a difference.

Another option would be to run the TVServerXBMC plugin in standalone mode: disable the plugin and run the TVServerXBMC.exe version instead to see if it makes a difference.

Only further hint for debugging is the programmers hint to download the C# TVServerXBMC sources from my github account and use MS VC# express 2008/2010 to debug the extension.
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
Thanks for the reply! I forgot to mention that I already used the .exe version of the XBMC bridge but the behavior is the exact same. The "TimeshiftChannel" command fails with a socket write error which is caused by the TvService crash, so the StopTimeshift is the cause. Enabling the fast channel switch option indeed solved the problem for me.

Imho a stop-then-start shouldn't be a problem for the TvService so I should probably cross post this to the MediaPortal forum so that they can halp me find the race (or whatever bug this is) in TvService.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TvService crash on channel change0