Update Library on Startup Failing (Frodo)
Hello,

Apologies if this has already been covered in another thread but I have searched extensively and don't appear to be able to locate an answer. Prior to Frodo my video and music library would update automatically upon start (due to the option in settings). However, since upgrading to the RC of Frodo, this doesn't appear to work.

There are only 6 items in my log that relate to the library which are warnings, informing me that the directory on my SMB server has not been found and therefore the scan is skipping.

The directory does exist, and going through the directory in files mode works fine.

I appreciate I've not uploaded my full log at this stage as I thought I would ask if anyone else has experienced this issue first.

Many Thanks!
Jon
Hello,

Hoping someone can jump in an offer some advice and thoughts. I'm still having problems with my updating library at start-up functionality with the latest FR2 build.

To summarize, my file server is an SMB file server and has not changed between XBMC 11 and XBMC 12. Historically the update library at start-up functionality worked without problem (in V11) however since upgrading the function doesn't appear to work.

What's strange is that as soon as XBMC has started, if I initialize a manual update of the library it works fine without error, its just at start-up this functionality seems to fail.

A debug log (level 3) shows the following:

--- [ snip ] ---

13:24:53 T:1048 NOTICE: CApplication::UpdateLibraries - Starting video library startup scan
13:24:53 T:1048 NOTICE: CApplication::UpdateLibraries - Starting music library startup scan
13:24:53 T:1524 NOTICE: Thread CVideoInfoScanner start, auto delete: false
13:24:53 T:1048 DEBUG: ADDON: Starting service addons.
13:24:53 T:1048 NOTICE: initialize done
13:24:53 T:1048 NOTICE: Running the application...
13:24:53 T:1048 DEBUG: CApplication::ExecuteXBMCAction : Translating ReplaceWindow(Home)
13:24:53 T:1048 DEBUG: CApplication::ExecuteXBMCAction : To ReplaceWindow(Home)
13:24:53 T:3764 NOTICE: Thread CMusicInfoScanner start, auto delete: false
13:24:53 T:1048 DEBUG: Activating window ID: 10000
13:24:53 T:3764 DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnScanStarted from xbmc
13:24:53 T:3764 DEBUG: GOT ANNOUNCEMENT, type: 32, from xbmc, message OnScanStarted
13:24:53 T:1048 DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (Startup.xml) ------
13:24:53 T:1048 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (Home.xml) ------
13:24:53 T:1048 INFO: Loading skin file: Home.xml, load type: KEEP_IN_MEMORY
13:24:53 T:3232 NOTICE: Thread Jobworker start, auto delete: true
13:24:53 T:3232 DEBUG: CRecentlyAddedJob::UpdateMusic() - Running RecentlyAdded home screen update
13:24:53 T:1048 DEBUG: XBPython:Tonguerocess - no profile autoexec.py (C:\Program Files\XBMC\portable_data\userdata\autoexec.py) found, skipping
13:24:53 T:1048 DEBUG: CNetwork::NetworkMessage - Starting network services
13:24:53 T:1048 NOTICE: ES: Starting event server
13:24:53 T:1048 INFO: JSONRPC Server: Successfully initialized
13:24:53 T:3956 NOTICE: Thread CEventServer start, auto delete: false
13:24:53 T:1048 DEBUG: CLastfmScrobbler: Clearing session.
13:24:53 T:3956 NOTICE: ES: Starting UDP Event server on 0.0.0.0:9777
13:24:53 T:1048 DEBUG: CLibrefmScrobbler: Clearing session.
13:24:53 T:2748 NOTICE: Thread CTCPServer start, auto delete: false
13:24:53 T:1048 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogExtendedProgressBar.xml) ------
13:24:53 T:3956 NOTICE: UDP: Listening on port 9777
13:24:53 T:3764 DEBUG: MUSIC_INFO::CMusicInfoScanner:Tonguerocess - Starting scan
13:24:53 T:1524 NOTICE: VideoInfoScanner: Starting scan ..
13:24:53 T:1524 DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnScanStarted from xbmc
13:24:53 T:1524 DEBUG: GOT ANNOUNCEMENT, type: 16, from xbmc, message OnScanStarted
13:24:53 T:3816 NOTICE: Thread CMusicInfoScanner start, auto delete: false
13:24:53 T:3816 DEBUG: Thread CMusicInfoScanner 3816 terminating
13:24:53 T:3764 DEBUG: MUSIC_INFO::CMusicInfoScanner:Tonguerocess - Finished scan
13:24:53 T:3764 NOTICE: My Music: Scanning for music info using worker thread, operation took 00:00
13:24:53 T:3764 DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnScanFinished from xbmc
13:24:53 T:3764 DEBUG: GOT ANNOUNCEMENT, type: 32, from xbmc, message OnScanFinished
13:24:53 T:1524 WARNING: VIDEO::CVideoInfoScanner:Tonguerocess directory 'smb://192.168.150.1/media/Videos/Movies/' does not exist - skipping scan and clean.
13:24:53 T:3764 DEBUG: Thread CMusicInfoScanner 3764 terminating
13:24:53 T:1524 WARNING: VIDEO::CVideoInfoScanner:Tonguerocess directory 'smb://xbmc:[email protected]/media/Videos/Movies/General Movies/' does not exist - skipping scan and clean.
13:24:53 T:1524 WARNING: VIDEO::CVideoInfoScanner:Tonguerocess directory 'smb://xbmc:[email protected]/media/Videos/Movies/Kids Movies/' does not exist - skipping scan and clean.
13:24:53 T:1524 WARNING: VIDEO::CVideoInfoScanner:Tonguerocess directory 'smb://xbmc:[email protected]/media/Videos/Movies/Misc Movies/' does not exist - skipping scan and clean.
13:24:53 T:1524 WARNING: VIDEO::CVideoInfoScanner:Tonguerocess directory 'smb://xbmc:[email protected]/media/Videos/Television/Television Shows/' does not exist - skipping scan and clean.
13:24:53 T:3232 DEBUG: GetRecentlyAddedAlbumSongs() query: SELECT songview.* FROM (SELECT idAlbum FROM albumview ORDER BY idAlbum DESC LIMIT 10) AS recentalbums JOIN songview ON songview.idAlbum=recentalbums.idAlbum
13:24:53 T:1524 WARNING: VIDEO::CVideoInfoScanner:Tonguerocess directory 'smb://xbmc:[email protected]/media/Videos/Television/Television Shows/24/' does not exist - skipping scan and clean.
13:24:53 T:3232 DEBUG: CMusicDatabase::GetRecentlyAddedAlbums query: select * from albumview where strAlbum != '' order by idAlbum desc limit 10
13:24:53 T:3232 DEBUG: CRecentlyAddedJob::UpdateVideos() - Running RecentlyAdded home screen update
13:24:53 T:3700 DEBUG: CRemoteControl::Connect - failed to connect
13:24:53 T:3700 INFO: CRemoteControl:Tonguerocess - failed to connect to irss, will keep retrying every 5 seconds
13:24:53 T:1524 NOTICE: CVideoDatabase::CleanDatabase: Starting videodatabase cleanup ..
13:24:53 T:1524 DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnCleanStarted from xbmc

--- [ snip ] ---

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered...

Regards,
Jon
You need to delay xbmc startup to allow networking to load first, in Linux a sleep command works. In Windows if you make a .bat file to use as your xbmc launch target you just need to add a delay before the run xbmc command
Code:
NETSH Diag Ping Loopback
"C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe"
will give about a 5 second delay, add another NETSH for 10 seconds.....
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
Thanks for your reply, it is appreciated.

Unfortunately networking is up and running when XBMC starts. I do currently have a script that runs prior to XBMC which copies some files and resources before starting the application binary, and this script runs fine. The script also accesses data from the same NAS unit so I know the PC can "talk" to the NAS fine.

Also, this is not just at boot but at app start. The machine can be up for a while for example (and used) before XBMC is started and the same problem exists. The issue appears to be related to performing a scan at XBMC start-up, not necessarily machine start-up.

Again, thanks for your efforts, appreciate your input.

Regards,
Jon
Maybe you can try using the Advanced WOL add-on, which not only can send WOL packets to wakeup your NAS, but also ping it and wait for a response to ensure it's available before updating the library (you would use AWOL's update library on startup function rather than XBMC's). This ensures a library update job isn't launched until a positive connection with the NAS is established.
Hi Artrafael,

Thanks for your response and suggestion, again it is appreciated!

The issue is definitely not related to my NAS, which is awake and responsive. I already run a script before the XBMC binary launches which copies various XML files such as rssfeeds.xml from the NAS and this works.

Also, as stated, version 11 of XBMC doesn't have this issue (have re-verified this) with exactly the same network / hardware / OS setup so this issue has definitely been introduced into v12 for me.

I can both read and write to the NAS as XBMC is launching and the problem still exists - it seems to be specific to the library scanning functionality during the start-up phase of the XBMC application.

I was hoping that someone else was experiencing the issue hence my forum post, I guess not which is slightly disappointing and concerning.

However, again, thanks for your suggestions and help.

Best regards,
Jon

(2012-12-25, 02:16)b69ca Wrote: it seems to be specific to the library scanning functionality during the start-up phase of the XBMC application.

That's why I'm suggesting maybe using Advanced WOL's update library on startup option and disabling the similar option in XBMC's system settings. This will delay the execution of the library update job in XBMC's startup process and may make a difference. It shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes to install, configure and test this add-on for this purpose. And, if it doesn't help with the problem, it's just another minute to uninstall it with no harm done to your XBMC installation.
Ah ok, sorry I misunderstood your post. Yes, this makes sense and would at least give me the update functionality outside of XBMC. Let me try / do that for now.

Thanks again!
Jon
Hi b69ca,

I see a similar issue, in my case the fault appeared to be Windows 8 login related. In particular if your using a 'Microsoft Account', rather than a local windows
one.

It seemed to cause a delay of up 20 seconds from the start menu loading up to the shares being 'available' on the network.

Switching to a standard local windows login cured the problem in my case.

Hi,

Thanks for your response, as with all of the others, it is appreciated.

In my case, I'm using a local account, the same one as I used with V11 of XBMC. When I roll back to V11, the update on startup functionality works flawlessly, its just with v12 that the issue occurs, and with the same account.

I think I'm at the point where I need to log a bug ticket as I've tried all different things non XBMC related now to no avail.

Thanks again, happy new year!
Jon
I have this issue as well. RC3 WinVista x86...
I have tried exiting xbmc and then reloading it without restarting computer.
I also have multiple profiles so XBMC should have had time to start fixing its network before I choose a profile.

I see that this starts after a profile is chosen, which is kinda logical as I have different libraries.

It seem to give a warning on all folders

http://pastebin.com/dTUEQ9Zq
Hello guys. I experience the same problem after updating XBMC on my ATV2 (4.4.4).

But i also noticed that my movies/series won't get marked as watched.
Even if i see the menu and choose "mark as watched" it doesn't change anything.

So maybe we have to look at the database and rights or something like that? Maybe the database didn't get updated in the right way..

I am just shooting some possibilities and hoping somebody will post the answer to this problem Big Grin
I've noticed, that I can't even fix my movie library by manually scanning for new content /unless/ I've entered the shares once through file mode. Seems to be a Samba-login issue in my case (login data is correct, as the same share work in file mode), which did not occur on Eden.
I have the same problem.

Im running XBMC (12.0 Git:20130127-fb595f2), Platform: Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, build 7601. Built on Jan 28 2013 (compiler 1600), the latest release, i have no problem at all with XBMC 11 when update my directory, I have tried DAV, DAVS, SMB, NFS, FTP. Always the same error: directory ......... does not exist - skipping scan.

Here i my log:

16:22:05 T:1728 NOTICE: VideoInfoScanner: Starting scan ..
16:22:05 T:1728 WARNING: VIDEO::CVideoInfoScanner:Tonguerocess directory 'dav://xxx:[email protected]/Film/' does not exist - skipping scan.
16:22:05 T:1728 NOTICE: VideoInfoScanner: Finished scan. Scanning for video info took 00:00
16:22:05 T:4576 NOTICE: Thread Jobworker start, auto delete: true
16:22:05 T:3116 NOTICE: Thread Background Loader start, auto delete: false

Anybody have a solution?
Same with me. The problem are here.

I thought this is a bug and there's no issues or active tickets has been submited.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Update Library on Startup Failing (Frodo)0