Android Hardware Decoding
Frodo RC2
GeniaTech 510B EnjoyTV (sorry Davilla)
Spec is Cortex A9 Amlogic 8726-M3 Chipset + Mali400 GPU

I wondered why I wasn't seeing the hardware acceleration radio button in System>Settings>Playback. I remember from the old ATV1 days this was the case if you didn't have CrystalHD card. I expected my android box to support hardware acceleration. XBMC won't currently play any HD content so I wanted to check the setting but couldn't find it. Have I missed something?

p.s. Apropos of nothing I plugged a bluetooth dongle into this box and enabled bluetooth in the Android settings screen and i paired a keyboard no problem.

p.p.s. other than the HD xbmc seems to be working really well. Speed I would say pretty much on a par with ATV2...that's my impression. Thanks Team XBMC. Great work.
You should really read the Android FAQ: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...ecific_FAQ

As mentioned in the stickied post up topSmile

Short answer is, hardware acceleration is very, very limited right now. They are working on it.
Builds from Team XBMC don't have any hardware decoding enabled at the moment, even for AMLogic devices. I think it's because there it's a method (yet) for XBMC to choose the correct player (or something), so when making a "universal" Android build we just have software decoding for now. I'm not entirely sure if this is correct, though, so maybe a Team dev can correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll see if I can find an unofficial build to list on the FAQ for generic AMLogic devices to try. Obviously, this will be easier in the future.
Hi Ned. Thanks for the answer. Of course I had read the sticky but misinterpreted the "limited" bit and "similar in spec to the Pivos". I think I read what I wanted that to meanSmile

An unofficial build to kick the tyres on would be great.
I've been through the unofficial build list for Android (the two listed in the Wiki) as well as a couple others posted but everything I have found suggests that hardware support outside of a very narrow set of devices (aka Pivos) is lacking everywhere at the moment.
(2012-12-23, 03:39)ixian Wrote: I've been through the unofficial build list for Android (the two listed in the Wiki) as well as a couple others posted but everything I have found suggests that hardware support outside of a very narrow set of devices (aka Pivos) is lacking everywhere at the moment.

This is correct. Only devices with AMLogic chipsets have hardware decoding, and not all of them (I don't know off hand which AML chipsets they would need to be). Getting hardware decoding to work on more hardware is under very active development, and will eventually come.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware Decoding0