Solved AC3/DTS via HDMI again
Hi,

my setup consists of a Toshiba 46XV365D connected through HDMI to a Pioneer VSX-920-K. The A/V receiver is hooked up to a PS3. I'm running Playstation Media Server in my network.

I have now added an HTPC based on the Asus AT5IONT-I board running Ubuntu 12.10 and the Ubuntu package of XBMC. This is also connected to the Pioneer through HDMI. Both video and audio are working fine.

When I configure XBMC to pass AC3 and DTS through to the A/V receiver I get no sound at all. When playing the same files through the PS3, sound is played fine and the receiver shows it's getting AC3 or DTS, respectively.
Telling XBMC the receiver wasn't capable of AC3 and DTS, I get stereo sound as expected.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

TIA.
Welcome to forums

I presume you running Eden and is such case upgrade to Frodo via xvba ppa (see my signature)

A screenshot of XBMC audio settings and make sure your using a current video driver would help as well.

uNi
Hi,

yes, I'm running Eden. Looking through the recent threads in here I'd like to stay with Eden for the time being until Frodo has matured another bit if possible.

I'm running the current stable NVidia driver:

Code:
$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ii  nvidia-current-updates                    304.51-0ubuntu1                           amd64        NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library
ii  nvidia-settings-updates                   304.51-0ubuntu2                           amd64        Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver

audio options:

Both your output device and passthough device are incorrect.

Try

Custom: plughw:1,3

for both

There's like 2 million threads on how to setup this properly

You get the plughw 1,3 from the output result of aplay -l

Sorry but am not going to repat what been already said by 2 other million people.

uNi
Do an aplay -l and actually confirm that HDMI is indeed 0,3
Its an ION so it probably is.

uNi
(2012-12-22, 19:28)uNiversal Wrote: Its an ION so it probably is.

uNi

I confirmed it's plughw:1,7 for me using aplay (got silence on plughw:1,3) but setting XBMC to this gave me the dreaded initialisation error.
Turning off the menu sounds worked, I now get sound in videos, no menu sounds, of course.
That goes to show you you should post all information possible on your query posts or get guesses or nothing at all.

ppl providing help (for free) should not have to beg for information from a user specially if question has already been covered to ad nauseam

Obviously the ultimate /etc/asound.conf for Eden for nav sounds is likely to be

Code:
pcm.!default {

type plug
   slave {
       pcm "hdmi"
   }

}

again covered to ad nauseam

uNi
(2012-12-22, 20:46)uNiversal Wrote:
Code:
pcm.!default {

type plug
   slave {
       pcm "hdmi"
   }

}

Created /etc/asound.conf with this content (there was no asound.conf previously) and still the same. Either menu sounds and failed to initialise for videos or no menu sounds and videos work fine.

I can live without menu sounds.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AC3/DTS via HDMI again0