Frame drops with hardware decoding enabled
I too have the same problem as you lawbaer useing a new mac mini i7 2.6ghz when using any frodo build the movie will start playing but after say 40mins the movie goes very slow and I lose sound and the only way to resolve this is to restart the movie again and fast forward to the part where the problem occured I went back to eden and the problem is gone Huh I will run again and post a log as soon as I can

Raines44
The problem I mentioned (stuttering with VDADecoder enabled or shader renderers enabled) has not been solved.

The other problem you guys are mentioning (stuttering after 40 min or just over an hour) is talked about here. No solution yet over there either, I'm afraid.
looks like ML 10.8.2 is just broke, 1st we redo VDADecoder to fix the 'green line' issues, then we get frame drops, now you say shaders are also causing frame drops with sw decoding. Hell, we could go back to green line code and forget VDADecoder for ML 10.8.x for now.
The odd thing is that nothing is logged in my case, yet the frame drops do appear in the overlay (counts up at roughly one per second).

I'm OK with what it's doing now (shaders disabled and vdadecoder enabled -- CPU stays around 20-40% and only a handful of frames dropped over the course of a movie), but I suspect it will generate a lot of complaints if 12.0 releases like this.

Is there anything you'd like me to try? Any logging perhaps you can add that might help narrow it down?

If it comes down to it and you need to go back to the "green line code", I'd honestly prefer that over this.. the line never really bothered me much anyway and my wife only noticed it about a week before you fixed it lol. Frame drops are definitely a lot more bothersome, visually (to me, anyway).
davilla could we make the 2 rendermethods for osx selectable? (either the speedy rgba rendering with greenline and the yuv2rgba rendering with the stutter)?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2013-01-09, 21:43)davilla Wrote: looks like ML 10.8.2 is just broke, 1st we redo VDADecoder to fix the 'green line' issues, then we get frame drops, now you say shaders are also causing frame drops with sw decoding. Hell, we could go back to green line code and forget VDADecoder for ML 10.8.x for now.

So Frodo RC3 is running just fine under SL and Lion? Or is it really just 10.8.2?

If I have the coice between a little green line and stutter, I might just stick with Eden which is running perfectly fine ;-)
Actually that's a good point... if ML is the culprit, why does Eden not exhibit these issues when also running on ML?
(2013-01-10, 18:29)jingai Wrote: Actually that's a good point... if ML is the culprit, why does Eden not exhibit these issues when also running on ML?

Maybe you should do a diff of the code base between Eden and now. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of commits.
I understand that.. I was just pointing out that a change in XBMC is what broke it on ML, otherwise wouldn't Eden display the same problem?
And I'm just pointing our that there are literally hundreds and hundreds of of things that might have changed.
Hi all -

Just like to say I'm on Lion (10.7.5) and am seeing the same - Eden was fine, moved to Frodo and saw the Frame Drop straight away turned off Hardware decoding and playback is fine. So it would seem that it's not a ML / Frodo specific issue, more just a Frodo issue.

Andy.

--EDIT-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry - Actually turned Hardware Decoding BACK ON and playback is fine. Apologies for any confusion caused!
I am not experiencing any frame drops when using hardware video decoding on 10.8.2.
Ned, are you using an Intel HD 3000 GPU?

If it's just me... what else do you think I can check?
Ok so... It also works (no frame drops) if I disable refresh rate switching (to output 24Hz).
I am not experiencing them either on 10.8.2 (RC3) - confirmed using the overlay info. I'm not using an intel GPU, perhaps this is the same for Ned? I did get the green line issue though when this popped up a little while back.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frame drops with hardware decoding enabled0