1st HTPC Build
Hey guys,

So I've been going all across the internet looking to see what it is I truly need for my first HTPC build and well, after all that research I think I am more confused then informed. I am bouncing around ideas of certain items but cannot decide which is best for me.
I have seen a lot of talk on the Intel i3 2105, 3225, and the AMD A6's but don't have a clue on what to buy.

What I know for sure is the following...
- Run XBMC
- Use SSD as boot drive with Win7 and add internal/external 1-2TB hard drive
- I want to be able to play 1080P files/BluRays, bitstream audio, and have the capability of 3D playback in the future, and maybe even use it as my DVR down the road as well.
- Leaning towards a mini-ITX case
- Energy efficient which I know most of these builds are (we're constantly streaming Netflix or watching movies). I'm normally using my PS3.

Any specific suggestions would help greatly. I want to get this thing going!! Big Grin

Thanks. Forum is awesome btw!
I believe I have decided to go with the following so far...
- Intel i3-3225
- Smaller SSD for boot drive (not sure which one)
- Caviar Green 3TB

Suggestions for Mobos? Ram?
Will this be able to run 3D at 1080P with bitstream audio? I'm hoping to copy over my BluRay collection in ISO form as well. Would I need a separate graphics card?
Will I get away with buying a case+PSU combo or need to buy a separate PSU?
This is what I have so far...changed a few things..

- Intel i7 3770k
- AS Rock Z77E-ITX
- MI-008 Case
- 8GB Ram
- 32GB SSD
- 3TB HDD
- BluRay drive
(2012-12-30, 04:03)BizznessTime Wrote: This is what I have so far...changed a few things..

- Intel i7 3770k
- AS Rock Z77E-ITX
- MI-008 Case
- 8GB Ram
- 32GB SSD
- 3TB HDD
- BluRay drive
You selected very expensive and powerful CPU and mobo. I'm recommending this "Silverstone Tek SG06B" case instead. It have better cooling vents.....

For SSD, I'm recommending at least 64GB- Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-12-30, 06:56)bluray Wrote:
(2012-12-30, 04:03)BizznessTime Wrote: This is what I have so far...changed a few things..

- Intel i7 3770k
- AS Rock Z77E-ITX
- MI-008 Case
- 8GB Ram
- 32GB SSD
- 3TB HDD
- BluRay drive
You selected very expensive and powerful CPU and mobo. I'm recommending this "Silverstone Tek SG06B" case instead. It have better cooling vents.....

Thanks for the reply bluray!

As for the CPU...I got a great deal on it and couldn't pass it up!

I am totally willing to go with a different mobo as long as it does bitstream audio, can handle 3D playback, and is mini ITX.
Any reason you recommended a bigger SSD?

I have not built a PC since my AMD build with a Socket 939 mobo haha so I am way behind on all this.

Thanks again for your time.
(2012-12-30, 07:16)BizznessTime Wrote:
(2012-12-30, 06:56)bluray Wrote:

- Intel i7 3770k
- AS Rock Z77E-ITX
- MI-008 Case
- 8GB Ram
- 32GB SSD
- 3TB HDD
- BluRay drive

Thanks for the reply bluray!

As for the CPU...I got a great deal on it and couldn't pass it up!

I am totally willing to go with a different mobo as long as it does bitstream audio, can handle 3D playback, and is mini ITX.
Any reason you recommended a bigger SSD?

I have not built a PC since my AMD build with a Socket 939 mobo haha so I am way behind on all this.

Thanks again for your time.
The mobo in your list is fine, but I'm suggesting replacing the case and SSD. I used to have MI-008 case with a very low power E350M1 mobo, and it was running hot. The powerful Intel i7 will be running hotter in it. The 32GB SSD might be too small to support Windows updated these days. The 64GB SSD is the best choice for it....

Good point bluray. For the extra $20-$30 I'll probably upgrade it to a 64GB SSD.

Any recommendation for a micro-ATX mobo for the i7 I'm going with?
Was thinking about maybe this AS Rock PRO4-M. Any thoughts? I'm not really interested in overclocking.
Originally I was gonna go with mini-itx but if heat is a concern and I'll end up going with a bigger case anyway...might as well not pay the extra $ for the smaller size, slim drive, etc. Right?
Again, I really wanna be able to stream in 1080, 3D, and have bitstream audio. For now I'll probably recycle an old ATX mid tower case I have and eventually buy this guy
(2013-01-02, 07:20)BizznessTime Wrote: Was thinking about maybe this AS Rock PRO4-M. Any thoughts? I'm not really interested in overclocking.
You'll be fine with this mobo....

Ordered the following so far...

Intel Core i7 3770
Crucial 64GB SSD
8GB Corsair Vengeance

Still trying to decide on a MOBO
Take a look at the P8H77-I or GA-H77N-WIFI. You don't have an unlocked CPU so you don't need the overclocking abilities of the Z77.
Oops...I actually have the i7 3770K but overclocking is not really a huge concern.

So far I've been looking at these...

MicroATX
ASRock H77 Pro4-M ~90
GIGABYTE GA-H77M-D3H ~95
ASUS P8H77-M/CSM ~110

miniITX
ASRock H77M-ITX ~100
ASUS P8H77-I ~100

Originally I was looking to have a smaller PC so I could fit it in my audio tower but bluray informed me that overheating may be a concern so I've been looking at microATX mobos for the most part.
I use the ASUS P8H77-M/CSM mother board and it works fine with an I3 processor. I used the ATI 5400 video card

HTPC Specs

ATI HD5400
I3 processor (not sure of the version)
ASUS P8H77-M/CSM mother board
4gb ram
160 standard hard drive (I don't see why you would want spend extra money on a ssd.) once the computer is loaded most of your hard drive activity from that point on is going to be over the LAN.
Blu-ray drive (reader)
Windows 8
XBMC Frodo RC3

I would go with a power supply that has the hybrid fan system. Most of the time your HTPC will not be pulling much power so I would assume you want your HTPC to be as quiet as possible. That way you don't hear the power supply fan all the time. If done right the only fan you need running in for the CPU.

That is what I have done and the power supply fan never comes on, the most you see it move is a twitch here and there (the power supply is a 750 watt supply). That is not the original I purchased for it, it was actually a hand me down from a gaming machine I upgraded. But I would have to say I wish I put it in the machine when I first built it. First thing is are going to say 750watts that is a lot for a HTPC, true, but with that said you are not pushing the supply therefore it is not heating up and needing to run the fan to cool down, so the effect you get is a quieter HTPC.

Unless you are using it for a gaming machine, it doesn't take much to run HD video and audio.

So far no problems at all.
Living Room: i3 • WIN 8 x64 • 160GB Standard hard drive (soon a SSD) • HD 5400 • Rapier (easily customizable) • Imon Enclosure
Server: Dell PowerEdge 310 • media storage (20TB) • LSI HW raid • 15 hd bay enclosure (raid6)
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1303449
I'm in a similar quandry.... wondering if the intel ivybridge graphicsHD4000 is capable of providing ultimate playback quality (ie: up-scaling, removal of variouse types of noise etc.)?
If not I will be adding somthing of the radeon line on top of the ivybridge CPU.
I am heavy into the quality of media playback and am about to start an HTPC build.

Not concerned about the money at this point, I can worry about that later when it's time to build Wink

I have searched high and low and can't find a definitive answer as to yes/ no, or why? Just seems a bit subjective Sad
(2013-01-10, 02:35)nathansperf Wrote: I'm in a similar quandry.... wondering if the intel ivybridge graphicsHD4000 is capable of providing ultimate playback quality (ie: up-scaling, removal of variouse types of noise etc.)?

the Intel HD 4000 will playback the HD video. I have that on my laptop and it work really well.
Living Room: i3 • WIN 8 x64 • 160GB Standard hard drive (soon a SSD) • HD 5400 • Rapier (easily customizable) • Imon Enclosure
Server: Dell PowerEdge 310 • media storage (20TB) • LSI HW raid • 15 hd bay enclosure (raid6)
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1303449
(2013-01-09, 23:35)ANNIHILATOR001 Wrote: I use the ASUS P8H77-M/CSM mother board and it works fine with an I3 processor. I used the ATI 5400 video card

HTPC Specs

ATI HD5400
I3 processor (not sure of the version)
ASUS P8H77-M/CSM mother board
4gb ram
160 standard hard drive (I don't see why you would want spend extra money on a ssd.) once the computer is loaded most of your hard drive activity from that point on is going to be over the LAN.
Blu-ray drive (reader)
Windows 8
XBMC Frodo RC3

I would go with a power supply that has the hybrid fan system. Most of the time your HTPC will not be pulling much power so I would assume you want your HTPC to be as quiet as possible. That way you don't hear the power supply fan all the time. If done right the only fan you need running in for the CPU.

That is what I have done and the power supply fan never comes on, the most you see it move is a twitch here and there (the power supply is a 750 watt supply). That is not the original I purchased for it, it was actually a hand me down from a gaming machine I upgraded. But I would have to say I wish I put it in the machine when I first built it. First thing is are going to say 750watts that is a lot for a HTPC, true, but with that said you are not pushing the supply therefore it is not heating up and needing to run the fan to cool down, so the effect you get is a quieter HTPC.

Unless you are using it for a gaming machine, it doesn't take much to run HD video and audio.

So far no problems at all.

Do you know if that motherboard supports 3D without an additional video card? I don't really plan on doing any hardcore gaming so I'm trying to go with as minimal hardware as possible. Checked the Asus website but the manual doesnt specify which HDMI version it has. Did find that it supports "Supports Intel® Tru 3D"...is that what I'm looking for?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1st HTPC Build1