WIP Roboto Fonts for Skin, CAPS/Bold/Regular Multilanguage support.
This is not a promise that I will finish this, but all the characters I could identify that had a Capital glyph to Match the Lowercase glyph have been replaced with the Capital glyph.

I'm also adding language support into the 3 Roboto fonts, so would have Roboto-Bold Caps - Roboto Bold - Roboto Regular with more languages support.

The reason why I did this is three fold

1- There is no all caps Roboto font available for Main Menu (there is now Big Grin ),
2- Because the font currently in use is now 35 pixel and wider than vs 40 Roboto it looks squashed so I decided to edit the font to see the result and its quite good in English and French Dutch, Cyrillic, Greek etc.
3 -Hebrew, Japanese, Chinese etc doesnt exist in These fonts, It would be nice it did.

@ronie tried the first edits of Caps Font and they were a shameful fail, but now its looking fantastic now imo.

The Original font on Main Menu was Roboto-Bold now its DejaVuSansCondensed-Bold-Caps

Anyway because these fonts are available in Apache license 2.0 I guess its ok to make modifications as I understand, if this is not ok, please let me know..

Package contains the Roboto-Bold (source), the licence and notice and the modified Roboto-Bold-Caps.

Download:
Roboto-Bold-Caps Download here contains source and license Apache License, Version 2.0

How does it look.

To use in Confluence copy the font to:

Code:
/usr/share/xbmc/addons/skin.confluence/fonts/

Find:

Code:
/usr/share/xbmc/addons/skin.confluence/720p/Font.xml

Code:
            <name>font_MainMenu</name>
            <filename>DejaVuSans-Bold-Caps.ttf</filename>
            <size>35</size>

and replace with
Code:
            <name>font_MainMenu</name>
            <filename>Roboto-Bold-Caps.ttf</filename>
            <size>40</size>

Request for contribution to font:

To make this font more international and better glyph (character) support missing characters would be fanstastic, atm theres no Chinese/Japanese characters and idk how to add or speak/write these languages. So far I only edited a font a few times and idk how to add more characters or suppport, so if you can help great!.

Find a font Editor, I used FontCreator http://www.high-logic.com/ load the font make necessary changes, zip it up publish the file and paste link here...

uNi
Original Version 1,00001
Current Version 1,00011
Current Version Beta Hebrew support 1,00015

Known Problems

Missing amongst others the Japanese, Chinese, Arabic and other languages characters/glyphs/numerals/accents etc. This is the big one how to add this to font while making it all work and not break existing. Big Grin, Im lost here.

Fixes:

1. Fix Grave, Acute, Tilde and Circumflex show for e.g While displaying French buried in the characters area
  2. Add description to Font as being a derivative work from Roboto Bold to abide better to Licence.
  3. Fix remaining Greek characters to uppercase - Thank you to CutSickAss Wink
  4. Fix various characters accents grave ` and diaeresis, umlaut ¨ and more, in some characters that were buried into the glyph.
  5. Fix some Cyrillic characters like Д
  6. Fix Д character was a little taller than Caps size for some odd reason and wasnt quite so bold. now is.
  7. Fix Tbar to Caps as well, it was missed somehow.
Todo:
  1. All Caps in Greek
  2. All Accents for French and similar Languages with accents e.g. Hungarian, Portuguese, French and others
  3. Support For Arabic, Japanese, Chinese, others characters/glyphs/numerals/punctuation etc...
  4. Hebrew Support is in beta < Please provide feedback
Possible sources for missing Language support.
If you know any Font sources that can be used to add this support please post link to font, Some licence that allows derivatives/modification would be ideal.

http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/freefont/ Looking at the font FreeSansBold which contains Hebrew stuff. Freefont is GNU GPL and pack can be downloaded from here

Edit -- https://github.com/google/fonts/ has all latest revision roboto fonts for basing on this work,

Download link in first post. - Contains all updated files including source font file and licence text for Roboto-Bold as per licence requirements.

uNi
Here's the caps font, all Greek characters fixed.
Thanks you a bunch. I see you did sigma and chi etc

Quick question, the (accents) dieresis and tonos from upsilon, omega and omicron, any reason for that as they are part of the extended character set?
Im a little confused by that, since the normal letters exist without accents as well.

Thanks you in advance, and thank you for the contribution.

+

uNi
Yes, of course there are accents in the Greek capital letters as well, but it is customary that if all the letters in a word or phrase are uppercase, then accents should be avoided. The accents in Greek capital letters go to the left side of the letter, not on top of it, so all-capital words tend to look weird with accents. For example, here is the word "Multimedia" in Greek, in capital letters, with and without accent (you need unicode to view this): ΠΟΛΥΜΈΣΑ - ΠΟΛΥΜΕΣΑ

This may not seem too important, but trust me, when you have whole uppercase phrases, then it tends to get annoying. Dieresis is kept even in capital letters because: a) it changes the pronunciation of the letter, and therefore, the entire word, and b) is located on top of the letter, therefore does not look too lopsided.
Just a quick update, ALL characters are now doe in CAPS @ revision 1,00011 the font is XBMC ready.

Just need foreign language supports adding to Font, though atm Im finding this difficult to find a source font for each missing support and exactly how to add new characters mapping, glyph names etc exactly as source font.

The Hebrew one I found a font that has this and minimal work is required, but for other missing languages especially with fonts that have no licensing restrictions. Because the source font or source code needs to be included

Any ideas suggestions for fonts that can be used would be great.

Also suggestions for non bold folnts accepted because idea would be to increase all character support to all roboto fonts or the few that are used in XBMC at least.

Edit this font will likely resolve the IOS known issue in Frodo with using the <fontstyle>uppercase tag..

uNi
Hi !

I am also trying to get a solution for an Arial or Roboto based fontset (not CAPS) which has ALL the glyphs we need for languages Vietnamese, Chinese, Arabic, Ethiopian etc.)
The arial.ttf we have in the media/Fonts dir has most of the needed stuff. Only needs Chineese, Arabic, Ethiopian.

Can you help what software I could use to "merge" the different ttf files, I can find for these languages ?
I plan to merge the arial.ttf with the missing stuff from here: http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/freefont/

Thanks!
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Im using FontCreator http://www.high-logic.com/

i didnt know that arial.ttf was compatible licence wise with Apache or GNU/GPL I thought that arial is closed source hence why I haven't already done it.

Im having trouble finding a non-closed source font that can be used to copy the characters from.

I also wanted to complete other Roboto type sets including non caps but I wanted to do this one first.

Does that help?

uNi

Yes, thanks !
The holly grail would be if we had a Roboto based font, in CAPS and no CAPS version with all the needed symbolic language characters in.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
That's what I'm aiming at, trying to figure out where to get support from is the harder bit.

I found a Droid Sans Fallback (same Apache Licence 2.0) which has full Chinese Thai, Vietnamese... Hebrew can come from the Freefont, however arabic its another issue. and that sort of language support, Each done font can go into a Roboto Regular or Roboto Bold and Roboto Bold Caps but its all up in the air as I am trying to get a feel fro it and find the right font match for doner fonts.

I tried several free-ware font editors but as ronie will tell you It invariably had random characters disappearing and corrupting. With Fontcreator it all works.

Anyway Roboto Bold Caps is ready for now until I can transplant something else into it or start working on other font weights.

Ill post something tomorrow to be tested with Hebrew support for starters.

If you find any Doner fonts with GNU or Apache or open-license that fit the bill let me know.

Here's some more possible sources http://www.gnu.org/software/freefont/art...Fonts.html

It would help if someone that spoke these languages could perhaps give some insight... At a later stage. perhpas?

Boldog uj evet Wink
Thanks !

What I can do is write to our language groups up at Transifex if they have ideas, suggestions. Also to help us testing.

I'll let you know if I find out anything. Till that please post if you have anything.

Thanks, Cheers !
Ok on Download link inside package added Hebrew character support from DroidSansHebrew Bold the font is named temporary to mark this, the default caps is still in package.

Needs testing as idk if I done this right or not

Font to test

Roboto-Bold-Caps-Hebrew test

I realize now I need to work on the roboto regular and roboto bold at same time to add more languages support, since the bold caps is primarily geared for Main Menu. Hebrew works dont I dont know how complete it is though on main menu only atm.

uNi
Thanks. I ask the Hebrew group to test it.
Cheers
As soon as I can Ill add roboto regular with Hebrew and roboto bold with Hebrew and obviously non caps since caps is main menu only, which incidentally I wouldnt have a clew how cpas works in non Latin languages :p

uNi
Ok added roboto regular, bold-caps and bold in a folder named Hebrew test for Hebrew test.

Again idk if this is properly done as I dont know the languages or the program or this adding language support in general. hehe.

uNi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Roboto Fonts for Skin, CAPS/Bold/Regular Multilanguage support.0