• 4(current)
XBOX 360 Media Remote on XBMCbuntu
I can give it a go, but bear in mind that I'm not running Openelec so there is a possibility that some of the commands or paths may be slightly different.

Watch this space, as they say!!

In the meantime, you can check if the paths are correct by SSH'ing to your media centre (putty is fine for this) and typing ls /etc/lirc/lircd.conf. ls = LiSt. If the file exists, ls will respond by repeating the /etc/lirc/lircd.conf, if it doesn't you will get a "Cannot access /etc/lirc/lircd.conf : No such file or directory" error. Hopefully you won't get an error and lirc will be installed and living where it should.

The only other path to check, and again I can't see it being any different, is the path to the userdata directory for XBMC. ls /home/<your-user-name>/.xbmc/userdata should list some directories and files for you. Note the . before xbmc. This marks the xbmc directory as hidden.

Right, I'll go make some notes, but really, I think you should now be able to check that files exist, record your remote, copy the resultant file into the correct place and make a remote.xml file and copy that. I'm 99% certain that copy/paste should work in the putty window with nano running but i can't test that right now.
Thanks very much Eagle, I'll do as you say, and additionally keep watching this forum space!

Best Regards
David.P
(2013-10-17, 12:18)David.P Wrote: Thanks very much Eagle, I'll do as you say, and additionally keep watching this forum space!

Best Regards
David.P

IIRC you are using one of the two xbox remotes listed in this thread, right?
Just run the script that I wrote in this thread and be done with it in 20 seconds. Tongue
Then you can tweak it from there if you want.
(2013-10-17, 16:06)FishOil Wrote: Just run the script that I wrote in this thread and be done with it in 20 seconds. Tongue

I believe that is correct FishOil, and that David.P's remote works reasonably well, but that he originally wanted to 'tweak' it a bit. I have exactly the same remote for the HTPC in the bedroom, and this one for my AV Amp with XBMC mapped on the DVR settings. All works seamlessly as I can control the TV, amp and XBMC all with the one remote. Couldn't be doing with using a keyboard, that just seems......wrong !!!
(2013-10-17, 16:06)FishOil Wrote: Just run the script that I wrote in this thread and be done with it in 20 seconds. Tongue

(2013-01-05, 09:01)FishOil Wrote: This is a bash script and it must be run as root.

http://pastebin.com/TWuBCtJR Click the download button at the top of the page

when asked type in the name of your xbmc user

It will create 4 files and back them up if they already exist.

/etc/lirc/hardware.conf
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf
/home/"$user"/.xbmc/userdata/Lircmap.xml
/home/"$user"/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/remote.xml

reboot and this wonderful remote should be working

Guys,

I'm sorry... Unfortunately I have no idea how to "run a bash script as root" Rolleyes
Even less so if I ought do do that via Putty/SSH, on Openelec Tongue

Maybe it is only a few straightforward steps, but honestly, I have absolutely no clue where and how to start...

HuhHuhHuh
(2013-10-18, 19:07)David.P Wrote:

(2013-01-05, 09:01)FishOil Wrote: This is a bash script and it must be run as root.

http://pastebin.com/TWuBCtJR Click the download button at the top of the page

when asked type in the name of your xbmc user

It will create 4 files and back them up if they already exist.

/etc/lirc/hardware.conf
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf

reboot and this wonderful remote should be working

Guys,

I'm sorry... Unfortunately I have no idea how to "run a bash script as root" Rolleyes
Even less so if I ought do do that via Putty/SSH, on Openelec Tongue

Maybe it is only a few straightforward steps, but honestly, I have absolutely no clue where and how to start...
sudo ./XBMC-Media-Remote.sh[/code]
HuhHuhHuh

I reposted the script here http://crunchbanglinux.org/pastebin/2230
Pastebin stuck a bunch of carriage returns in the paste.

ssh into the xbmc computer and type

Code:
curl http://crunchbanglinux.org/pastebin/?dl=2230 -o XBMC-Media-Remote.sh
Code:
chmod +x ./XBMC-Media-Remote.sh
Code:
sudo ./XBMC-Media-Remote.sh

When someone asks you to type a command with sudo you should trust them and know what you are doing.
Feel free to have someone look the script over if you dont feel comfortable running it.
(2013-10-19, 04:32)FishOil Wrote: ssh into the xbmc computer and type

Code:
curl http://crunchbanglinux.org/pastebin/?dl=2230 -o XBMC-Media-Remote.sh
Code:
chmod +x ./XBMC-Media-Remote.sh
Code:
sudo ./XBMC-Media-Remote.sh

Thank you very much FishOil! This is the type of instructions that help me most -- being an almost complete Linux Noob. It would probably have taken me several half days to find out how to do that.

Will try and report back asap.

Regards David.P
Guys!

"sudo not found"!

What happened Huh
Please help Blush

Regards David.P
(2013-10-30, 21:39)David.P Wrote: Guys!

"sudo not found"!

What happened Huh
Please help Blush

Regards David.P

You are already logged in as root. No need for sudo. Simply omit the word sudo
FishOil! Thanks!

That looks amazing.

In order not to break anything I stopped here, because I don't know the XBMC username in Openelec (OE boots directly into XBMC).

Can I look up my username somewhere in Openelec?

After this prompt, what will happen? Will I have to press buttons on my remote, or are these already contained in the script?

Thanks heaps again,
Regards David.P
(2013-10-31, 22:50)David.P Wrote: FishOil! Thanks!

That looks amazing.

In order not to break anything I stopped here, because I don't know the XBMC username in Openelec (OE boots directly into XBMC).

Can I look up my username somewhere in Openelec?

After this prompt, what will happen? Will I have to press buttons on my remote, or are these already contained in the script?

Thanks heaps again,
Regards David.P

Just try xbmc. If its not right it will offer suggestions based on the usernames in /home/* and let you make an educated selection.
You wont have to do anything else and it will be done in 10 seconds.

If you want to look for yourself execute this command.
Code:
ls /home

From the looks of your prompt it might be OpenELEC

Remember Linux is case sensitive.

Edit:

Honestly, I have no idea what kind of wacky things the OpenELEC developer has done. From what little reading I have done on OpenELEC its looks pretty messed up and non standard to me.
If the script fails I wont be able to help you restore.
Personally, from the quick look I've had around, I'd go with root as the username.

You could try typing 'top' into the terminal after you have SSH'd in and xbmc is running. You will get something along these lines
Code:
Tasks: 246 total,   1 running, 244 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie
%Cpu(s):  5.1 us,  2.2 sy,  0.2 ni, 91.1 id,  0.8 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.6 si,  0.0 st
KiB Mem:   4048564 total,  3888692 used,   159872 free,   169476 buffers
KiB Swap:  4192252 total,   380364 used,  3811888 free,  1465288 cached

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S  %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND          
19485 xbmc      20   0 2534m 391m  46m S  13.6  9.9  43:46.14 xbmc.bin          
1328 root      20   0  313m 142m  18m S   5.6  3.6 126:01.18 Xorg              
31274 xbmc      20   0 1529m  97m  18m S   5.3  2.5  43:06.85 compiz            
11353 xbmc      20   0  594m  20m  11m S   4.6  0.5   0:33.29 gnome-terminal    
9375 xbmc      20   0 1022m 141m  34m S   2.0  3.6  28:17.51 qbittorrent      
2690 xbmc      20   0 1464m  75m  15m S   1.0  1.9  96:09.28 cairo-dock        
   14 root      20   0     0    0    0 S   0.3  0.0   3:12.98 ksoftirqd/1

This line is the important one 19485 xbmc 20 0 2534m 391m 46m S 13.6 9.9 43:46.14 xbmc.bin
It tells you that ProcessID 19485 was started by user xbmc and that the command was xbmc.bin (the XBMC executable).

I'm expecting that your second column (under USER) will all be root. If that is the case, then type in root when the script asks. If not, type in whatever it says in the second column in the line that lists xbmc.bin as the command. You do not have to worry about any of the numbers or any of the other lines.
Top will continue to run until your hold down the CTRL key and press C at which time you will be back at the command prompt.

BTW, only by actually trying this stuff will you know what works and what doesn't. The worst case scenario is that you break something and have to re-install OE. This may sound harsh but you will only learn by doing things. I understand your reticence to a point, but you are not running a command on a life support system or anything thats actually that important.
OK thanks guys.

This is what I get now Confused

I have tried "root", "xbmc" and "openelec" in all sorts of upper/lower case variations.

"Top" gives me this (all other lines have "root" as user and have been deleted below)
Code:
PID  PPID USER     STAT   VSZ %VSZ CPU %CPU COMMAND
  545     1 avahi    S    13356  0.6   2  0.0 avahi-daemon: running [OpenELEC.lo
  891     1 root     R    2642m131.6   2 10.2 /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /var/run/lirc/lircd
  250     1 dbus     S    11072  0.5   3  0.0 dbus-daemon --system

Is there anyting else I can do?

Could I create these files
(2013-01-05, 09:01)FishOil Wrote: /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf
...manually from the script text, using a samba connection?

Regards David.P
OpenElec's root user has /storage set as its home directory, so theoretically you would create

Code:
/storage/.xbmc/userdata/Lircmap.xml
/storage/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/remote.xml

the other two files should be fine.

Chris
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBOX 360 Media Remote on XBMCbuntu3