• 5(current)
XBOX 360 Media Remote on XBMCbuntu
+1 David for going for it Big Grin

Sounds like Chris has hit the nail on the head, but, just for David.P (and because I'm fed up with talking without the right book!) I'm going to shove OpenElec on a USB stick and have a play with it on my lappy,
Nod
OK, so I have done that and hit upon a snag grrr, namely
Code:
Backing up and creating /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
2230.sh: line 1015: can't create /etc/lirc/hardware.conf: Read-only file system
Error Creating File.....Something went wrong
OpenELEC:~ #
This could be because I'm running it from a USB stick, but I do have it in my mind that most of the OpenElec OS is read only.

David.P I need you to find out if the /etc/lirc/ directory is writable on your machine. So, ssh in and then
cd /etc/lirc <enter>
mkdir test

If you don't get an error then its writable. If you do then I think a complete build of the OpenElec system may be necessary to change those two files.
Undecided

Anyway, most of what is needed seems to be there anyway, since the XBOX remote works "out of the box" already in Openelec.

I'd just like to start over customizing the buttons.

I guess I'll have to digg into those Lircmap.xml and Keyboard.xml files manually again.

Problem is, I forgot how to do it, and I'm afraid I break everything (for example keyboard customization).

If I only need to change a few button functions on the remote, do I change Lircmap.xml or Keyboard.xml...............?

Well I guess I need to make sure that all buttons of the remote are listed in Lircmap.xml, and then I can assign every xbmc function (context dependent) to any button in Keyboard.xml -- correct?

Btw., can I see and edit lircd.conf also using a samba connection? I can't seem to find this file anywhere in what SMB shows me:
Regards David.P
--
going to sleep - local time 10:40pm
Close. Its remote.xml you need to alter, bearing in mind your mappings start in Lircmap.xml. Just to remind you, Lircmap.xml maps your remote buttons as seen by your hardware to XBMC_Buttons. remote,xml then maps those XBMC_Buttons to xbmc functions.
OK thanks eagle. I'll do that then. Hopefully, all buttons that are present on the remote are already accounted for in lircd.conf, as obviously prepared by some nice programmer @Openelec.

Sorry for posing the last question again, only for understanding:
(2013-11-01, 23:45)David.P Wrote: Btw., can I see and edit lircd.conf also using a samba connection?
Sorry for posing the last question again, only for understanding:
(2013-11-01, 23:45)David.P Wrote: Btw., can I see and edit lircd.conf also using a samba connection?

No. Its not in a shared directory so you can't see it, and in any case, you already know it lives in a readonly part of your OS Wink
Thanks! Nod

Yeah, "it lives" Blush
Does anyone know the name of the "TV" button on the XBOX remote:

..for Lircmap.xml?

It doesn't seem to be this one:
<mytv>KEY_TUNER</mytv>

...or is it?
(2013-11-07, 20:44)David.P Wrote: Does anyone know the name of the "TV" button on the XBOX remote:

..for Lircmap.xml?

It doesn't seem to be this one:
<mytv>KEY_TUNER</mytv>

...or is it?

The TV button sends no signal and toggles Xbox 360 / TV mode
Thanks FishOil! So will it break (or change) any remote functionality (with regard to XBMC) if I press the TV button (accidentally)?
(2013-11-08, 08:42)David.P Wrote: Thanks FishOil! So will it break (or change) any remote functionality (with regard to XBMC) if I press the TV button (accidentally)?

It wont break it.
But if you programmed a code according to the original instructions with the remote it will also control the channel and volume on your TV.
If you didnt program a code and you press the TV button it wont do anything different.
(2013-11-09, 03:36)FishOil Wrote: But if you programmed a code according to the original instructions with the remote it will also control the channel and volume on your TV.

Great, thank you. This reminds me that I probably could have RTFM Blush

Please, one more question regarding Keyboard.xml (formerly Keymap.xml).

I have a wireless keyboard (RF not Bluetooth) which works perfectly with Openelec/XBMC.

When I press the key "e" on the keyboard, I get the EPG window in XBMC which is great.

However, there is no such thing as

Code:
<e>EPG [or something]</e>

... in the keyboard.xml file. The entire file does contain lots of things like <s> (shutdown), <p> (pause), <x> (stop/exit), <m> (menu) and so on, but not a single occurrence of <e> or <E> or </e> or </E>.

Thus, how does XBMC know that it is supposed to show the EPG window when I press "e" on the keyboard?

I'm asking because I'd like to also assign a key on the remote to the same EPG command that "e" on the keyboard obviously is assigned to.

This is what my Keyboard.xml file looks like:
I don't intend to hijack the thread, but aren't the XBOX remotes IR? So for any of these to work, you must have an IR receiver plugged into your HTPC?

If not, how does the machine receive the signal? and If so- what IR receiver do you use that is cheap? I was going to use my PS3 remote, but with FishOil's script, it may be a lot easier to get it working.

**also- isn't that a stop button next to pause (left), both under the xbox button?
The Arctic MC001 has an in-built IR receiver, which however has a terrible range with the XBOX remote. I'd also like to know whether another IR receiver could be hooked to this Openelec system.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBOX 360 Media Remote on XBMCbuntu3