• 7(current)
Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding
(2013-01-22, 01:22)dCrypt Wrote: I am still shocked with the HUUUGE performance hit enabling 1080p for the graphical interface, which was around 7fps with a 100% CPU use. And I am just still wondering whether the videos play @720p or @1080p with the scale enabled. Anyone?

There is a reason why the GUI is rendered at 720p even when the display is 1080p.
I'm still having issues with render output resolution, aspect ratio, scaling, etc on the ATV1200. And part of the problem is /sys/class/video/axis - setting the permissions is only done for the current session. Once its shut down and loaded back up, permissions are reset back to normal which is due to init.rc I believe, though after editing that, its still setting them to 0664. Essentially a lot of the video's look like they're being zoomed or scaled to be "full screen", stretching the vertical dimensions removing the black bars at the top and bottom. Even changing the render style, all of them are wrong. And if I set it to "original" for a 1080p video, I just get a fullscreen of maybe 1/4 of the actual video as its zoomed in that much. Kind of like XBMC is rendering with the assumption that video output is 720p when its infact 1080p. If I change android to 720p it seems to match a bit better but the video is still being stretched to fullscreen.

I've also tested the Stagefright test build on the MK808B (proper) which is working great for the most part (the odd movie or 2 has line of 3-4 pixels of corruptions horizontally through it and with 1080p still stuttering a bit), and noticed its rendering correctly the aspect ratio's though not at the correct resolution as far as I could tell. Which leads me to the issue being with ATV1200 (firmware) and not the android build of XBMC. Also noticed the video settings (pressing M) only has a handful of settings that can be changed as opposed to on the MK808B - though one is using the latest stagefright test build while the other is using Xios build.

Are there any other system files (apart from axis) that might be worth checking that XBMC needs permissions to in regards to aspect and everything? Its the only flaw I'm currently experiencing which is leading me to still use MX Player to be able to watch a full, proper video without being cropped, zoomed, or scaled.
Thanks!

Edit:
Also fixed my 3TB drive issue. Even though the ATV1200 can read NTFS drives, I needed to install Paragon NTFS/HFS+ drive mounter (I assume for its ntfs-3g cability). The other NTFS drive mounting apps mounted the drive just as Android would, but had the same issue - could see the root directories and 10 of the files on the drive but not the rest. Came to this conclusion after mounting the HDD to a Macbook Air (10.6.8) and it had the same issue until I installed ntfs-3g drivers.
(2013-01-22, 04:06)davilla Wrote:
(2013-01-22, 01:22)dCrypt Wrote: I am still shocked with the HUUUGE performance hit enabling 1080p for the graphical interface, which was around 7fps with a 100% CPU use. And I am just still wondering whether the videos play @720p or @1080p with the scale enabled. Anyone?

There is a reason why the GUI is rendered at 720p even when the display is 1080p.

And the reason is ..... ¿?

The only reason I can figure out is the lack of performance.
(2013-01-22, 09:01)dCrypt Wrote:
(2013-01-22, 04:06)davilla Wrote:

Almost ALL arm devices just don't have the GPU ponies to render GLES in 1080p at decent frame rates. Facts of life, the wild thing is the raspberry PI can do this Smile Go figure.

Hi all.....

I have just purchased one of these in the hope to replace my playonHD mini media player with a XMBC.

But i have just had a panic, i have checked over most codec's, etc but forgot to check that it will play 3d SBS rips. Im assuming it does but after a bit of googling, i can't find any confirmation.

I have only just been introuced to XMBC and I am amazed by it and its features (plugins), i hope ive made the correct purchase.

Reading through these posts tells me that its a new piece of kit but is receiving quiet quick firmware updates. Which is good.

Thanks

Pete
(2013-01-22, 17:39)davilla Wrote:
(2013-01-22, 04:06)davilla Wrote: There is a reason why the GUI is rendered at 720p even when the display is 1080p.

Almost ALL arm devices just don't have the GPU ponies to render GLES in 1080p at decent frame rates. Facts of life, the wild thing is the raspberry PI can do this Smile Go figure.

That's cos they know what they are doing..... many here don't

(2013-01-22, 17:39)davilla Wrote:
(2013-01-22, 04:06)davilla Wrote: There is a reason why the GUI is rendered at 720p even when the display is 1080p.

I feared it. I guess you mean rendering the menus, etc. At least, they HW decode and render video in 1080p, don't they? How many "ponies" does it take? Dual core GPU? Quad core GPU?
Rendering the GUI in 720p is no big deal, most all GUIs skins are 720p anyway. So no real big deal, it's more a specmenship thing.

HW decoders decode at what ever the video rez they are given. That is scaled (or not) to the DISPLAY resolution.

As to how may ponies does it take, it all depends how good their code is done. There is no hard and fast rule.

Also, remember a 40 inch 1080p display looks the same as a 720p display at 8 feet away. Your eyes can't physically tell the difference.
Their code is second to none, when you have a man of this calibre behind a project you shouldn't be surprised that such a low powered device is so capable. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eben_Upton

We have to remember, with the advent of these low powered devices code needs to be well written... It's back to the days of the BBC micro almost..... there are no spare ponies to rely on. Also remember the Pi was never intended to be used as a multimedia device but something cheap to teach kids how to code. The foundation is a charity and emanates from Cambridge universities.
Hello SRLE,

could you please help me?

I'm trying to decide between buying a MINIX NEO X5 or a ATV1200. The main problem with the Minix box is that its CPU (RK3066) does not support 5.1 channel over SPDIF port. Very frustrating.

Could you please tell me if the ATV1200 box is able to handle surround and dts sound over S/PDIF ?

Thanks very much!

Ed

(2013-01-02, 01:20)srle Wrote: UPDATE (18.01.2013): Latest firmware -20130115, and latest Pivos apk -010813 work perfectly together. I can recommend the box to anyone now - the only thing missing is NFS support for the kernel.
The bottom line:
- Android is not Linux - Linux is way, way better Smile
- If You want XBMC, and price is not an issue, buy a box that works with Linux builds
- If You want XBMC, and price is an issue - go with the somewhat slower but much cheaper Raspberry Pi
- If You want this box and no other - well read this tutorial
- If the optical/coax audio out does not get fixed in future builds then there is hardly any reason to go with this, and not with some cheaper box with analog audio out

Hope this helps

(2013-01-23, 19:57)lordsnowbr Wrote: Hello SRLE,

could you please help me?

I'm trying to decide between buying a MINIX NEO X5 or a ATV1200. The main problem with the Minix box is that its CPU (RK3066) does not support 5.1 channel over SPDIF port. Very frustrating.

Could you please tell me if the ATV1200 box is able to handle surround and dts sound over S/PDIF ?

Thanks very much!

Ed

(2013-01-02, 01:20)srle Wrote: UPDATE (18.01.2013): Latest firmware -20130115, and latest Pivos apk -010813 work perfectly together. I can recommend the box to anyone now - the only thing missing is NFS support for the kernel.
The bottom line:
- Android is not Linux - Linux is way, way better Smile
- If You want XBMC, and price is not an issue, buy a box that works with Linux builds
- If You want XBMC, and price is an issue - go with the somewhat slower but much cheaper Raspberry Pi
- If the optical/coax audio out does not get fixed in future builds then there is hardly any reason to go with this, and not with some cheaper box with analog audio out

Hope this helps

It does with latest firmware and pivos xbmc apk, I can confirm first hand that dts,ac3 work over spdif
Wink 
Thansk very much my friend!
Now I now what to buy! lets dig for the best price

Thanks again!

Ed

(2013-01-23, 20:36)srle Wrote: It does with latest firmware and pivos xbmc apk, I can confirm first hand that dts,ac3 work over spdif

so to conclude?

It seems to me that the ATV1200 is the fastest android box on the market.

Also it seems that it is now working great with xbmc since the most recent firmware that was released mid jan on the 15th. ("firmware" is effectively a term that in this context means 'android version released by the manufacturer specifically for this device')

The two biggest contributors to this thread that seem very tech savvy and knowledeable are "srle" and "xardos". One has xbmc working perfectly (slre) and one has xbmc working perfectly except for one major issue (the sound fails after ten or twenty minutes of every video).

So in conclusion buying this box is just like every other android box ie it is a gamble to see if you are a lucky customer or an unlucky one?

Is that a fair conclusion, can anyone please correct me if they thing I have got something wrong.

I'm just trying to clarify because it's sometimes difficult to absorb all the information in technical threads like this.
srle, i noticed your "bottom line" comments in the firt post on this thread.

Have these changed now since the performance of the box has improved since then?

Just wondered because it seems a bit harsh in the new context of xbmc working a lot better recently.

"The bottom line:
- Android is not Linux - Linux is way, way better
- If the optical/coax audio out does not get fixed in future builds then there is hardly any reason to go with this, and not with some cheaper box with analog audio out"
Geniatech improved/solved alot in the latest firmware Wink:

Quote:Changed log based on 20120918 firmware version:
1.Solved multiple characters problem of remote control.
2.Solved 2.4G remote control can not be detected sometimes.
3.Solved Mute problem.
4.Solved Mac address display bug.
5.You will get audio when you click” listen to an example “in setting->language&inout->Text-to-speech output.
6.Solved black screen problem while play mpeg audio files.
7.Solved some apps can not display as full screen.
8.Solved boot wizard can not be finished problem.
9.Solved IR remote control can not call soft keyboard in Browser.
10.”Help“ function is working in WiFi menu.
11.Support Spanish subtitles.
12.Optimised mkv, mov video playback.
13.Solved CVBS can not be switched to YUV bug.
14.Solved installation failed problem while installing apps in Google play store.
15.Solved no recovery screen on CVBS mode.
16.Deleted the black bar while exit online video playback with full screen.
17.Adding screenshots feature.
18.Adding volume +/- icon on the screen.
19.Adding “HDMI auto output mode” option in Setting->Display, the box will detect and display with the highest resolution to match your TV automatically.
20.Adding USB storage option in setting->storage.
21.Support VPN.
22.Press Zoom in /out button on remote control to Zoom in/ out the screen in angry birds.
23.You can locate the current position with Google Maps when Wi-Fi network is working.
24.Support live streaming playback.
25.Ethernet will be connected first when you turn on WiFi and Ehternet at the same time.
26.Support Skype video and audio call with external USB camera, confirmed Logitech c270, c370, c510, c200. If the VID PID of your camera is VID_0c45, PID_62f1, or VID_046D, PID_0825(Connect USB camera to PC, open Device Manager, find and double click the device, choose Hardware id), it should be supported on Geniatech box.
27.Support external USB Bluetooth dongle.
28.Pre-loaded Geniatech DLNA ( MediaCenter) app. You can install the other DLNA app (such as iMediashare ) on android phone/tablet to share files between android phone/tablet and box.
29.Adding Airplay function. Push local & online Video, Music and Picture from IOS devices (such as iPad, iPhone) to play on Geniatech box.
30.Support KR300FM remote control ( Audio input works ok, we are still working on audio output ) of Geanitech. You can enjoy audio call with KR300FM on Skype.
31. Enjoy 3G network when you connect external 3G dongle to Geniatech box, we tested and confirmed several models, such as ZTE MF110. If you have other models, please have a try.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding17