Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding
(2014-03-04, 23:51)superfreak79 Wrote: I apologize in advance for not reading all 80 pages for this answer.

The problem is strange behaviours and lost settings after reboot. Issues I've seen include: sdcard not mounted; custom remote.conf stopped working; XBMC addons reset to stock; lost Android home screen background; fan art not displaying in XBMC; and having preinstalled apps show up after uninstalling them.

My setup is a generic ATV1200 box that has been flashed with the Geniatech firmware. This box is literally identical to the ATV1200 except it has a layer of proprietary software that I can't access (that's all I'm going to say about the original box and firmware Smile). So I flashed the two Geniatech firmware files from 20130805: 1) SPI and 2) STVMX.

After initial boot-up, I have root (thanks Geniatech) and uninstalled the bloat apps. I reconfigure Android to my liking and setup addons/menus in XBMC. I even remapped the remote to work with Geniatech firmware. Things are going very good for my box... until I reset or power off for a period of time.

I unplugged the box last night and let it sit until this afternoon. Now when I power it up again, the preinstalled apps are coming back again and my XBMC setup is jacked. I even lost the modified remote.conf file (double bummer). The android home screen and wallpaper is still there - but sometimes it isn't. There was another time that my sdcard wasn't mounted after reboot and so I couldnt have any changes to sdcard. That was weird and apps were automatically saving to external sdcard.

I did some reading about the sdcard mount issue and found others using Android who said it could be that cache or partitions need to be wiped post firmware installation. So I now flash firmware and then do wipe/reset from recovery before initial Android boot up. That seems to have solved the sdcard mount problem (I think).

Has anyone seen similar behaviour from other AMLOGIC 8726-MX boxes? Is there an explanation for why this might be occurring? How can I fix these problems?

Thanks in advance and my apologies for double-post across two discussion boards.

I import my 8726-MX units from Geniatech. I had very few problems with 500+ units. While their customer service needs work, the products solid. I have only experienced losing guisettings.xml a few times and I put these things through hardcore testing. I concluded that this only happened when launching XBMC immediatedly after the unit boots. XBMC launches before the xml is read, then writes a new file over the good one on the next exit. Easy solution is to give the unit 5 more seconds to mount and no problem. If it does happen, minimize XBMC, navigate to xml and save it or rename it before wiped out. You can't compare two unit with similar specs from two different manufacturers especially when one's a knock off or clone. These things are already coming from China. Buying from a manufacturer that may have cut a few corners on low quality memory or other other components could lead to lots of problems.

These 3 things should virtually eliminate file loss. 1. Backup your settings. 2. Wait 10 seconds after boot to launch XBMC. 3. Don't turn the box off unless you have to. Put it in stand by.

Hope that helps.

Messages In This Thread
ATV1200 not responding.... - by bluemeane - 2013-07-05, 17:52
YUV and CVBS simultaneously? - by Marsbar - 2013-09-18, 21:33
Halting videos with latest fw - by robvh - 2013-09-18, 23:24
RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - by htpcforall - 2014-03-07, 23:51
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding17