Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding
Nonsense on the stereo only part. XBMC will output multichannel PCM on HDMI or passthrough AC3, DTS, AAC etc. SPDIF can only handle 2 channels of PCM, but it can still pass AC3, DTS, AAC (which are compressed and encoded)..

Also ATV1200 will output 1080p, but unless a specific 1080p android kernel from Geniatech is used, it will be upscaled from 720p. If I recall correctly, 1080p with this kernel only works smoothly on the inbuilt media player, not with XBMC although someone can correct me here. There is no 1080p Linux version that I am aware of.

There are lots of goodies including that 1080p kernel are in Biatsch's dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1r3anv4hfubi5wr/Ss2bD31f9Q

BTW, I have 2 ATV1200s. One is running Gotham 13.0 on Android 4.1.2 using the Geniatech August firmware. I have no problems with this other than my remotes (IR and RF) are prone to skipping keypresses and repeating wildly and XBMC will revert to a default skin setting every once and a while (fixed by copying guisetings.xml to advancedsettings.xml). 1080p streaming over wireless-n and DD/DTS over HDMI is flawless. I am not sure if this is actually the best Android f/w currently available, but I suspect it is.

The other box is running the XDA developers MX Linux v1.0 which has a cut of Frodo known as 12.4. My remotes work fine on Linux (other than RF remote has no key repeat). XBMC works fine too, but I wouldn't claim it's better than Gotham on Android and quite a few xbmc options seem to have been stripped out. I've only had this box a couple of days, but I suspect it is freezing on me overnight as I have had to press the front panel power button to get it to respond. I believe this version overclocks the CPU and GPU which may cause heat and stability problems. I haven't tried any of the other Linux versions (Geniatech or Jynx), but I'm looking forward to a new MX Linux release with Gotham.

Bottom line is I would be content with XBMC on Android on the ATV1200 if I didn't have the problems I do with remote controls/keyboards, but no one else is complaining so it must only be me! Looking forward to the promised new Geniatech f/w with Android 4.2 and Linux with Gotham. (There is a Jynx gotham beta linux cut but DD/DTS passthrough does not work).

Messages In This Thread
ATV1200 not responding.... - by bluemeane - 2013-07-05, 17:52
YUV and CVBS simultaneously? - by Marsbar - 2013-09-18, 21:33
Halting videos with latest fw - by robvh - 2013-09-18, 23:24
RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - by bobones - 2014-05-16, 15:25
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding17