Req Audio passthrough
I have a beginner's question, so please excuse me. I am wanting to use a RaPi B+ as a media server/player. I would have an external HD plugged in, and I would run everything through HDMI to a Marantz AVR. I would want the AVR to do all of the audio (and possibly video) processing. Can the RaPi pass through a 192/24 flac file? I know it has no problems with 1080p .mkv files, so no worries there. I am reading mixed answers on the HiRes audio though. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
(2014-11-27, 20:03)wookierookie Wrote: I have a beginner's question, so please excuse me. I am wanting to use a RaPi B+ as a media server/player. I would have an external HD plugged in, and I would run everything through HDMI to a Marantz AVR. I would want the AVR to do all of the audio (and possibly video) processing. Can the RaPi pass through a 192/24 flac file? I know it has no problems with 1080p .mkv files, so no worries there. I am reading mixed answers on the HiRes audio though. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Stereo 192/24 is possible. Technically it is not passed through with flac (no receiver supports that) but it will be decoded to PCM by the Pi and output as PCM (so is bit exact).
Great...so when it is passed through as PCM,it will pass 192/24? Thanks for the reply. What are the issues I have reading about it won't handle anything over 48khz?
And can you explain what you mean by no receiver supports flac? In my example, I can plug a usb drive directly into my avr, and play flac. I understand the avr must convert to a pcm signal, but I was under the assumption that the receiver itself can read the flac file and do all converting/processing. I have a marantz SR5007 avr. Just curious what you meant.
Followup question. Is the Raspberry Pi B+ capable of passing an audio signal without processing at all? I have read less than stellar reviews on the audio quality of the board.
Quote:And can you explain what you mean by no receiver supports flac?

There is no standard to transport flac inside HDMI link.
Pi has to open flac and send PCM.
Config, video/audio player:
3T HDD <USB> Odroid N2+ / CoreElec <HDMI> Denon AVR-2313 <HDMI> LG TV 55UF860V
                                          <nfs wired> Linksys WRT32X router <USB> 4T HDD
(2014-11-30, 21:41)wookierookie Wrote: Followup question. Is the Raspberry Pi B+ capable of passing an audio signal without processing at all? I have read less than stellar reviews on the audio quality of the board.

That only applies to analogue. HDMI audio is bit perfect.
Perfect...thanks for the replies. So is there a setting to prevent the board from processing the audio, or does is automatically send it as passthrough?
Will re-iterate what others have already said. You can't pass through flac on hdmi.
Understood. But does the board automatically process the PCM audio, or sent it through as is by default?
What do you mean "process".
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Basically once it's converted to PCM, does it send it as it is, or apply any audio adjustments to the signal? The board has a DAC of some type...I don't want the DAC on the board to do anything to the signal, I'd rather my DAC on my AVR do it. Does that make sense?
(2014-12-01, 16:22)wookierookie Wrote: Basically once it's converted to PCM, does it send it as it is, or apply any audio adjustments to the signal? The board has a DAC of some type...I don't want the DAC on the board to do anything to the signal, I'd rather my DAC on my AVR do it. Does that make sense?

There is no DAC on the HDMI port. As long as (kodi) volume is set to maximum, you should get bit perfect audio samples arriving at receiver.
Thank you...answered my question perfectly....I assume the same applies to a video signal through the HDMI? No processing, just passed through?
No, the video is processed on the computer. You cannot pass, for example, h.264 video to a TV/Monitor via HDMI.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio passthrough0