Audio in the latest nightly of Frodo
They had it working beautifully, big improvment over Eden, didn't have to set custom audio devices or anything, just worked.. Now Passtrough audio device can't be set and all video with Dolby or DTS plays fast volume is low unusable. Its only been broken for us since early December.
A couple other things: nothing really changed in AE in that timeframe - the reference in the first post to the fresh pull of AE is nonsense.

And its been about two years development and is only really getting wide exposure now....
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2013-01-05, 22:06)DDDamian Wrote: A couple other things: nothing really changed in AE in that timeframe - the reference in the first post to the fresh pull of AE is nonsense.

And its been about two years development and is only really getting wide exposure now....

Can you shed any light on why the Passthrough audio devise can't be changed for Default (Pulseaudio) to the other options that worked well prior the Frodo going Beta.
(2013-01-05, 22:01)uNiversal Wrote: This is only a observation.

AudioEngine is relatively new (4 years development or so?) and if I had two decades of experience as a developer I would know 4 years is not enough on a opensource project to get anything working as beutifully as AE is atm, bugs and all. Never mind the fact nothing is ever bug free.
I'm not talking about some obscure bit of side functionality: I'm talking about core functionality for a media player.
Quote:Put your money where your mouth is and contribute something. I cant code but I do my best to contribute to XBMC any way possible.
I am. I'm using it, aren't I? I've helped several people over their skepticism to get XBMC installed and working on their own machines, yet it is breakage like this—not in the middle of a development cycle, but at the release candidate stage!!—that reinforces that skepticism. You don't introduce new features at this stage: if you don't want to release the old code, then back the whole thing out of RC and hold off the Frodo release for another two months while the bugs are being worked out. But you don't mark alpha-quality code with critical bugs in core functionality as "release candidate". Again, I fail to see how this viewpoint is at all controversial.
(2013-01-05, 22:09)mudwater Wrote:
(2013-01-05, 22:06)DDDamian Wrote: A couple other things: nothing really changed in AE in that timeframe - the reference in the first post to the fresh pull of AE is nonsense.

Can you shed any light on why the Passthrough audio devise can't be changed for Default (Pulseaudio) to the other options that worked well prior the Frodo going Beta.

Do you mean in Eden (as opposed to Frodo alpha's)?

The "default" device will be re-added at some point, but doesn't change anything - whatever device is used it has to be setup correctly.

@squarooticus - again, not sure that anything changed in that timeframe to cause what you're seeing. You seem to have pinpointed a commit after which things changed - can you shed a little more light?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
All I hope for is that the issue is seriously looked at and the the non-developers stop providing misleading hacks and fixes for something that is broken. A proper Frodo RC that can be installed on 12.10LTS for the average user that works. Like before the Beta and RC releases.
(2013-01-05, 22:17)DDDamian Wrote: @squarooticus - again, not sure that anything changed in that timeframe to cause what you're seeing. You seem to have pinpointed a commit after which things changed - can you shed a little more light?
I couldn't figure it out either (backing out to git changes on the 27th and then on the 20th did not improve the situation, so something else must have changed). I'm working on getting the system going with the latest ISO as we speak. If I can get the audio on the fresh install working, I can try to figure out what the differences between that and my old install are. (I have two partitions, so whenever I need to reinstall I just install over the other partition and copy over what I need.)

(2013-01-05, 22:18)mudwater Wrote: All I hope for is that the issue is seriously looked at and the the non-developers stop providing misleading hacks and fixes for something that is broken. A proper Frodo RC that can be installed on 12.10LTS for the average user that works. Like before the Beta and RC releases.
I agree. I had no problems when I first upgraded to Frodo a few months ago. Probably because it was closer to being Eden, but still... it felt like a more polished Eden, which was just what I wanted.
Finally someone who agrees that it worked well before.
(2013-01-05, 22:30)uNiversal Wrote: Image

Like i said, non-dev sharing more intelligent and helpful insight.
Audio works flawlessly on a fresh install. Pardon me while I tear my hair out.

I think I may just have to accept installing this thing from scratch every time I want to upgrade, because I'm not sure I will be able to figure out where the breakage is.
I upgrade XBMC everyother day, compiling from GIT on Linux

Works fine here.

uNi
(2013-01-05, 22:39)uNiversal Wrote: I upgrade XBMC everyother day, compiling from GIT on Linux

Works fine here.
Believe me when I say I'm happy for you. And honestly, I upgrade it on my desktop machine all the time (though, admittedly, not to 20130103) and have no problems under even more extreme conditions. But for some reason my HTPC on upgrades is like Chad Pennington breaking a shoulder when you look at him funny.
(2013-01-05, 22:39)uNiversal Wrote: I upgrade XBMC everyother day, compiling from GIT on Linux

Works fine here.

uNi

What is your Passthrough audio device set to?
(2013-01-05, 22:44)mudwater Wrote:

Works fine here.

uNi

What is your Passthrough audio device set to?

FWIW, this made no difference in my case. No matter what the passthrough device was set to (though it should have been set to "HDA NVidia, HDMI 0"), I got no passthrough audio. Reinstall, and bam! Everything works with the defaults, which are now "ALSA:default" for PCM audio and "ALSA:hdmi_formatted" for passthrough.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio in the latest nightly of Frodo0