• 19(current)
Change channel really slow
hi margro,

first of all your build (prebuild 13.2)works fantastic on my windows 8.1 notebook.
I'm using vu+ pvr addon with my vu+ duo solo2 and channel switching times are between 1-2 sec.
Thats awesome!

problem is my main htpc in my living room.
It's an i3 running latest stable generic openelec build 5.0.2.
when i use the same pvr addon and the same pvr server i get switching times around 10-12 sec.
it doesn't matter if fta channels or scrambled channels or SD or HD channels.

do you know a way how i can get the same channel switching times i get using your build, but running openelec ?

thanks in advance.
The channel switching patches are included in Kodi and therefore also in OpenElec, so I don't know why it is so much slower with OpenElec.
Did you also try Kodi on your 8.1 notebook? I'm wondering whether it is an OpenElec or a more general Kodi issue...
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
I've tested Kodi 14.2 beta1 on my notebook also and channel switching is just slightly slower than your optimized build (2-3sec), but much faster than in openelec.

i've also created a thread in openelec forum here:

http://openelec.tv/forum/71-pvr-live-tv/...g-vu-addon

MasterSKY has answered following post:

"I have the same Problem with Raspberry Pi 2 QuadCore 1GB and Openelelc 5.0.3. Channel Switching takes 10 Seconds or longer.
With Raspberry Pi 1 SingleCore 512MB and Openelec 4.2.1 Channel Switching and Starting takes 1,5-3 seconds.

Vu+/Enigma2 1.9.20 Plugin must be buggy"

so i guess you are trying to say it's an openelec issue, right ?

is there any chance that you will create an optimized build in openelec also ?
I cannot make an optimized OpenElec because the optimizations are already included (just double-checked their github sources).
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
(2015-02-22, 19:22)QLink Wrote: MasterSKY has answered following post:

"I have the same Problem with Raspberry Pi 2 QuadCore 1GB and Openelelc 5.0.3. Channel Switching takes 10 Seconds or longer.
With Raspberry Pi 1 SingleCore 512MB and Openelec 4.2.1 Channel Switching and Starting takes 1,5-3 seconds.

I'm just writing to confirm that. Rpi 1 and openelec 4.2.1 works fine, while 5.0.8 and 5.95 still have the slow iptv zapping bug.
Hi guys i have a good notice, after mouths that i use ghotam and raspPi b+ i have the solution of the problem to slowly switch cahnnel Smile

I test it with Kodi 15 and RaspPi 2 and now i switch the channel in 1-2 sec max oleeeeeeee

i try with OSMC and the kodi 15 with that firm (2015.08-1 a09e11ec4d34dc992e9869997b69e570)
and now the trick of the century U.U

when in IPTV simple client insert the .m3u link at the last parte of the link you switch
this part ....m3u&output=mpegts

with ....m3u&output=hls

This solution is possible for ONLY KODI 15 (PC, tablet, smartphone) Smile i try all kodi for all platforms

and in this way all its perfect, all guys try it and reply me Wink
(2015-12-05, 23:34)Arkam Wrote: Hi guys i have a good notice, after mouths that i use ghotam and raspPi b+ i have the solution of the problem to slowly switch cahnnel Smile

I test it with Kodi 15 and RaspPi 2 and now i switch the channel in 1-2 sec max oleeeeeeee

i try with OSMC and the kodi 15 with that firm (2015.08-1 a09e11ec4d34dc992e9869997b69e570)
and now the trick of the century U.U

when in IPTV simple client insert the .m3u link at the last parte of the link you switch
this part ....m3u&output=mpegts

with ....m3u&output=hls

This solution is possible for ONLY KODI 15 (PC, tablet, smartphone) Smile i try all kodi for all platforms

and in this way all its perfect, all guys try it and reply me Wink

Hello,
I use on windows 7 and Kodi 15.2 version and channel change is realy fast. I have a Philips Android TV 2015 and Kodi 15.2 installed, but channel switching is really slow 12-15sec. On the same TV i have VLC and LazyIPTV. LazyIPTV uses VLC as Player and the channel switching is 2-4 sec, Where did you change setings m3u&output=mpegts to hls ??

Best regards
you cant downlaod the file .m3u but copy and paste the link that the iptv service give you and load it by remote and change the last part

....m3u&output=mpegts

with ....m3u&output=hls
thanks.
I tried it and it's working. Now, channel switching is 4 sec from 15 sec.
I still have the problem in Kodi 16.1 that certain streams open very slowly (timeout of about 10 seconds, before they start buffering!).
Streams ending with .m3u8 open very fast.....but some other streams open very slow.
As far as I read hear I have to change MPEGTS to HLS (so replace for example .ts by .m3u8....and yes this works!).
But how do I do that with the following type of streams? (I edited the names of the streams, since I am not sure if I am supposed to post streams here)

"http://streams.streammedia.org:80/live?channelId=1&uid=2&deviceUser=xxx&devicePass=xxx"

OR

"http://streams.streammedia.com:80/live?channelId=195&uid=2144&deviceSn=xxxx"

Can I force Kodi somehow to open this as a HLS stream ? Or is there another workaround for this type of streams ?
At the moment they open very slowly in Kodi 16.1 (10 seconds delay...before Kodi starts buffering). On other IPTV players they work fine, and they also work fine on Kodi 17

Any suggestions ??
(2014-04-08, 20:31)margro Wrote: @tungmeister: No. My pull request with the channel switch speed improvement is basically rejected (although not yet closed...). Elupus did already add a different change that already speeds up the channel switches, so he does not want this change added in its current state.
My changes still make the channel switching a bit faster even after Elupus' improvements but in order to get it accepted he wants a different implementation: either by fixing ffmpeg or by adding a separare live TV demuxer.
I'm not going to rewrite it, simply because I don't have time to dive into this.
Kodi channel switching still painfully slow. Will decision be made to improve it somehow (fixing ffmpeg, separare live TV demuxer, whatever..) or this situation will last forever?
If it's slow for you, then there's something wrong at your end!!! Maybe it's the channel switch delay: Settings/TV/Playback (wiki)

Edit: Do you have MediaPortal after all or what is your pvr backend?
I'm using the latest version of libreelec(libreelec-Kripton 8.2.5) for my Wetekhub.But still channel switching delay is 7 seconds  Sad
Any feedback on this issue would be greatly appreciated..
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Change channel really slow2