Which version of Ubuntu to use for XBMC HTPC ?
You may want to mess with you TV settings

Also to check the hw acceleration is working its exactly on that screenshots 2/3 with the video info OSD line with D(Video:h264 (High), etc etc etc only screenshots are cut off on the part that matters.

To take a screenshot its the printscreen on keyboard or record button on mce remote.

uNi
Good Morning!

OK here is a better screen shot image:

Regarding the black borders and the TV settings, the TV is an entry level LG 42" LED HDTV. The aspect ratio in the TV settings is set to "Just Scan" this is the correct setting for my Windows Media Center PC. I also have this test Linux / XBMC PC connected.

If I change the aspect ratio to 16:9 the black borders become smaller i.e the XBMC UI becomes bigger but there are still black borders present all round. There is an option on the TV called "Cinema Zoom 1" if I pick this one then XBMC UI fills the full TV screen and it looks OK!
I am also seeing tearing on the playback of this 1080P MKV. tear lines appearing horizontally across the screen.
OK so its likely its a TV setting, idk again ATI things Im not person to ask, but wsnipex is familiar with ATI. Your probably missing the overscan settings in ATI and they can only be run-saved if X is not working.

As for the hw acceleration it is working see on that ---> dc:ff-h264-xvba <---- and your cpu usage is very low too so thats fine.

uNi
(2013-01-11, 12:37)uNiversal Wrote: OK so its likely its a TV setting, idk again ATI things Im not person to ask, but wsnipex is familiar with ATI. Your probably missing the overscan settings in ATI and they can only be run-saved if X is not working.

As for the hw acceleration it is working see on that ---> dc:ff-h264-xvba <---- and your cpu usage is very low too so thats fine.

uNi

OK cool, thanks for your help Uni. Hopefully wsnipex will chip in again. I have to say the help so far on the forum has been great, feels like the old Green Button forums! Big Grin
Code:
sudo service lightdm stop
sudo xbmc stop
sudo killall X
sudo amdconfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0
sudo reboot

the first 3 lines are to make sure X is stopped before the amdconfig command is run. if you still see any GUI or Xbmc running after them, something went wrong.
(2013-01-11, 13:12)wsnipex Wrote:
Code:
sudo xbmc stop
sudo killall X
sudo reboot

the first 3 lines are to make sure X is stopped before the amdconfig command is run. if you still see any GUI or Xbmc running after them, something went wrong.

Hi, is this to help with the tearing issue?

thanks
No - it disables Underscan (e.g. Black Border around the screen).
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2013-01-14, 21:58)fritsch Wrote: No - it disables Underscan (e.g. Black Border around the screen).

OK thanks will give it a try.
As a long term Ubuntu Linux user is would go for XBMCbuntu Eden. IF that does not work for you.

Start with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS update upgrade get base system working then install Eden. FRODO still a little unstable (see my other posts)

You can easily install a minimal Gnome desktop to the Server version leaving out the office ware.

Cheers
Spart

6 x Raspberry Pi Model B & B+ Pi2 & 3 Zotac Mag Ubuntu 14.04.1 - Ubuntu 14.04.1 Test Machine Kodi Nightly - RocketNAS 8TB Usable Raid 6 Ubuntu 14.04.1 RocketNAS Build
(2013-01-14, 22:28)sparticle Wrote: As a long term Ubuntu Linux user is would go for XBMCbuntu Eden. IF that does not work for you.

Start with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS update upgrade get base system working then install Eden. FRODO still a little unstable (see my other posts)

You can easily install a minimal Gnome desktop to the Server version leaving out the office ware.

Cheers
Spart

Hello

Thank you for your reply!

When is Frodo expected to be released as final ?

I am not planning on migrating from MCE to XBMC quickly, have lots of time to test and get things right before I go live with XBMC.

Concerning the topic:

In short:
- No Composite
- No pulseaudio (this is a xbmc problem - not a PA one)
- No nvidia driver > 304.xy
- Use wsnipex ppa for vaapi, vdpau and xvba
- If you want Hi10p (soon multithreaded) and other goodies go with Frodo

If you want it just to be working: Get yourself an OpenELEC installation and be happy :-)

Currently I would go with Ubuntu 12.04 minimal (old xserver has advantages) on all hardware (amd, nvidia), but on intel I would choose the latest and greatest as these OSS drivers benefit from xorg changes.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2013-01-11, 13:12)wsnipex Wrote:
Code:
sudo xbmc stop
sudo killall X
sudo reboot

Hi

Just tried this to get rid of the black borders all around the XBMC UI.

It says:

No layout section was found in the file: /etc/x11/xorg.conf
Please run aticonfig --intial first or modify your configuration file manually and run aticonfig again.
amdconfig parsing command-line failed.

To run the command I had to go in to the Grub menu at boot up and select Ubuntu Recovery mode then drop to command line with root.

Thanks
This Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard has onboard ATI HD 4200 graphics, also when playing a Blu-ray ISO if the audio stream is set as DTS-HD or DolbyDigital True HD then the video playback doesn't work and gets stuck / stuttering, if I change the audio track to AC3 Stereo for example the video then plays fine.

I currently have XVBA hardware decoding selected, I tried Vaapi as well.

Also through out the XBMC UI I have general issues with screen tearing - horizontal lines etc.

Thanks

EDIT: In fact I don't know why I even tried testing bit-streaming HD audio to the AVR on this machine, as its going in my daughters room and will only be connected to a HDTV. But if I can get rid of the black borders and maybe sort out the screen tearing I would be very happy.

Cheers
Looking in this folder /etc/x11/ I cant even see a xorg.conf file present, maybe that's the problem?

Guess I'll try running aticonfig --intial as it suggests.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which version of Ubuntu to use for XBMC HTPC ?0