• 7(current)
Win HOW-TO setup Boblight for Windows and Boblight XBMC
(2014-02-17, 21:47)uncleted Wrote: I switched the Lightpack driver to WinUSB using Zadig and commented out the libusb_detach_kernel_driver call from lightpack device code. It works for me now without crashing. Not sure if WinUSB is really required so I'll have a bit more of a play to find out.

Thanks for the update. When you find out if it works can you post instructions?
+1 on that! From what I can see boblight is the better way to run these things with xbmc than prismatik etc,.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Stackdump file as rrequested:

Code:
Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION at eip=0041D1A8
eax=00000000 ebx=00000000 ecx=0000000A edx=611DCB70 esi=800519A0 edi=FFFACC42
ebp=00000000 esp=FFFACC0C program=C:\boblightd\boblightd.exe, pid 2036, thread unknown (0x714)
cs=0023 ds=002B es=002B fs=0053 gs=002B ss=002B
Stack trace:
Frame     Function  Args
End of stack trace
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Ok I have repeated uncleted's work - I have a boblightd that appears to work and connect to the woodenshark usb based lightpack succesfully.

It loads my conf file ok, and then goes into it's loop of setup/closed/setup/closed etc waiting for input

XBMC appears to attach ok to this boblightd, says hello, sets various parameters etc.

BUT - no goddam lights come on at any point. (Plights work fine with primsatik).

My next step is to try running the thing with a Pi as a controller but I'd much rather just have boblightd running on my main windows pc and driving it directly....the Pi seems like a waste in this context.

@uncleted - did you get any lights going yet with your compile?
Hmm - ok, yes, it would seem replacing the driver vis zadig is required as well (to WinUSB).

I've done this and have it running, reacting to what's on screen! Well, connected to this box anyhow. Next step is to hook it up to the htpc properly....
Ok, got it all going quite well now. XBMC + boblight on one windows machine - working with all video playback, as expected - zero lag etc (my machine is documented in build notes in my sig below).

1. Install lightpack and test with Prismatik - use the on screen grabbers to show you if the lights are working and grabbing as they should. Get this right now as you won't be able to use prismatik later. This is just a basic test - I had to swap channels 3 and 5 as there are some lightpack issues with the early run and the channels being funky. I mounted to my 50" plasma using the 'andromeda' pattern - seems pretty good.

2. Then, you *must* use zadig (Google it) - to replace the driver for this device to WinUSB - you should now have a device in Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus *Devices* -> Lightpack

3. Download this zip https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1088...lightd.zip - which has boldightd.exe, boblight.conf for a USB woodenshark lightpack kit, and needed cygwin dlls.

4. Unzip all this to into a folder called c:\boblightd - you don't need to change anything.

...and at startup (before xbmc) run:

Code:
c:\boblightd\boblightd.exe -c c:\boblightd\boblight.conf -f

(-c tells it to use a specific config file as above, -f tells it to 'fork' meaning you can then run xbmc in the same sccript or whatever)

6. Install and configure the xbmc boblight service addon - you don't need to change any ports/addresses since you're running it locally on the standard port. I set it all to 'fast' mode initially so it reacts quickly.

IMPORTANT NOTE : THIS BOBLIGHTD DOES NOT SEEM TO WORK IF YOU PLUG THE LIGHTPACK INTO A USB3 PORT (well, for me anyway) - use USB 2!!

If you're having issues, run boblightd as above from the command line and see what it says.

Hope that helps get others going - seems to me Prismatik is buggy as hell and slow, this boblight approach is best for those of us just using XBMC - but this will mean Prismatik no longer detects your lightpack, so it's really an XBMC only solution.
Just for my own benefit of remembering later I fleshed out the above on my blog: http://xbmcstuff.bossanova808.net/2014/0...shark.html

Thanks to @uncleted - your message above was super useful!
(2014-02-24, 02:41)bossanova808 Wrote: Just for my own benefit of remembering later I fleshed out the above on my blog: http://xbmcstuff.bossanova808.net/2014/0...shark.html

Thanks to @uncleted - your message above was super useful!

I have followed your guide @bossanova808, but boblight have trouble connecting to the USB driver. Windows detect LightPack when I plug in the USB port. But boblightd continues to write: “'\\.\USB#VID_1D50&PID_6022#95230303231351D04131' was only detected in late pass (newly connected device?) - ignoring”.

My system is: ZBOXHD-ND22 with Windows 8.1 / 64bit
Any idea of how to fix it?
That's what I got with the lightpack in a usb3 port. Are you definitely using a usb2 port per the guide?
My HTPC having no usb 3, only usb 2 ports (ZBOXHD-ND22 specifications: http://www.zotacusa.com/specsheet/ZBOXHD-ND22-U.pdf) ?
I received my LightPack yesterday and I have tried everything in this thread nothing has worked yet.

I have removed the driver for WinUSB so Prismatik work again, and followed this thread's first post one more time.
Can still not connect to my LightPack:

"could not detect installation state of driver for '\\.\USB#VID_1D50&PID_6022#95230303231351D04131': [13] The data is invalid"

Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION at eip=610FAA45
eax=0000C9D1 ebx=0000C9D1 ecx=00000012 edx=DF0DF046 esi=0000C9D1 edi=FFEACC4A
ebp=FFEACBEC esp=FFEACAB4 program=C:\boblightd\boblightd.exe, pid 4368, thread unknown (0x1254)
cs=0023 ds=002B es=002B fs=0053 gs=002B ss=002B
Stack trace:
Frame Function Args
End of stack trace

Is there anyone who can help?
Hmm, don't think you'll get anywhere with the standard driver. Definitely needed WinUSB for me.

Not sure what you can do about your 'late pass' error but there's quite a lot on Google you could investigate...
Hi,
im pretty sure some 1 found the best settings for the boblight config creator
can some one please be so kind and write what i should use (with 50pcs of ws2801 pixels) in the options
- capture settings ?
- color settings ?

thank you
(2014-02-24, 18:26)rassv Wrote: I have followed your guide @bossanova808, but boblight have trouble connecting to the USB driver. Windows detect LightPack when I plug in the USB port. But boblightd continues to write: “'\\.\USB#VID_1D50&PID_6022#95230303231351D04131' was only detected in late pass (newly connected device?) - ignoring”.

My system is: ZBOXHD-ND22 with Windows 8.1 / 64bit
Any idea of how to fix it?

Had the same problem running it on my pc (Windows 8.1 / 64bit as well). I tried compiling boblight myself which seems to have fixed it though. The lights work but the colours aren't quite right for some reason, so I'll have a look into that tomorrow. Anyway, here is the copy of boblight that I compiled (as well as the cygwin dll's and bossanova808's conf file) if you want to give them a try: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a65t6ip4727it1b/boblightd.zip

Let me know how you go.
The conf is just a basic one - I think it's a bit over-saturated myself, and it seems to work with an andromeda pattern quite well, if you have mount differently you'd want to change it I think.

I have no real idea bout any of this, jsut hacked at it and got it working. No idea on the USB stuff really, but @uncleted seems to know a lot about it (see message on my blog) - so hopefully he gets some time to look at it!
TeKo
Some time ago I was able to get my LEDStream/Arduino working with boblight but to get it to work, I need to use a different number of channels and checksum than was calculated by your java based config created.

I have 23 leds on the left, 39 along the top and 23 along the right.

The config tool calculates
channels= 243
prefix= 41 64 61 00 50 05

For my configuration I need to use
channles =249
prefix = 41 64 61 00 54 01

MY configuration is working well but I am curious as to the reason for the difference. Perhaps the difference is contributing to the problems people are having..
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO setup Boblight for Windows and Boblight XBMC6