WIP MTO: a completely-automatic symlink-based torrent organiser (in Ruby)
Hi all,

I wrote MTO to solve the problems that I experienced trying to get torrents into XBMC without ongoing manual intervention. MTO is my attempt at filling the need for a "fully-automatic" media organiser that operates between your BitTorrent client and your media centre (XBMC!) or even just you when you use a file browser.

Some of the advantages that I see in MTO are:
  • It leaves original torrents untouched, creating symlinks at the destination.
  • It is very flexible about naming schemes: very few false positives and false negatives.
  • It works nicely on unfinished multi-file torrents, and can complete its work as more files are downloaded.
  • It orphaned symlinks if you delete a torrent, change the naming policy, etc.
  • It can run on a single torrent (e.g. as a Transmission torrent completion script).
  • It can run on all the torrents in your downloads folder (e.g. as an hourly scheduled task).
  • It uses regular expressions to extract usable information from every component of a file's path.
  • It is structured around the easily-understood TorrentChild class, which should easily allow anyone familiar with Ruby to extend its capabilities.

You can grab a copy of MTO here: https://github.com/elliotnunn/mto

Please, if you have the time, give it a whirl on your torrent downloads folder. It is perfectly harmless (just cd to the program's directory before you run it). I'd love to hear how it goes, and I especially hope that you find it useful!

Code:
./mto.rb /path/to/downloads/*

Best,

Elliot.

Update: User Nasp kindly points out that some OSes will need Ruby installed. On Debian-based distributions this can be achieved with:

Code:
apt-get install ruby
Nice, very usefull script.

the package ruby is necessary. "sudo apt-get install ruby"

Humm, i need a script like this, but to tried on OpenELEC
(2013-01-12, 23:33)Nasp Wrote: Nice, very usefull script.

the package ruby is necessary. "sudo apt-get install ruby"

Humm, i need a script like this, but to tried on OpenELEC

Thanks, Nasp. Did you give it a go? I will edit my post to point out that Ruby is required, thanks. To be clear -- would this be helpful on your OpenELEC box?

Cheers!
I need to compile Ruby with OpenELEC first Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MTO: a completely-automatic symlink-based torrent organiser (in Ruby)0