• 21(current)
libstagefright - Experimental hardware video decoding builds
I posted the link CruNcher hoping forum members less knowledgeable would take a look and see what a difficult job the devs have reverse engineering drivers for our devices. Without the support of the chip manufacturers it can be a very long drawn out process.

It would really help if users of xbmc could lobby via email chip makers to help them understand that it can be a win, win situation if they were to release the tools required to enable their device to work to their full potential.

As an example, in a thread running in the 'hardwear' section http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=150153 this device is doomed..... If the devs such as devilla had access to the info he needed he could easily solve the issues it has... instead they just want to leech for free.

I'm hoping Rockchip are more forthcoming as I believe the RK3066 could be a great device to run xbmc on.

So folk get emailing if you want support for your device... give the devs the tools they need.
hardware accelleration seems to be working on my mk809 with the latest test buid, however SD content does not work (from icefilms) it plays all garbled and causes the system to lockup or xbmc to crash.
I'll create an updated build with the latest tweaks.

For rk3066, this one will blacklist the crashing videos, I. E. Non-mod16 height.
Thanks koying
(2013-02-19, 09:26)Koying Wrote: For rk3066, this one will blacklist the crashing videos, I. E. Non-mod16 height.
Do you think file which is not mod16 can be HW decoded with SW rendering instead of banning them totally? I suppose this is similar mode which uses MX Player named as HW (no stability problems). HW+ is same what right now XBMC uses and leads to same instability issues with 1080p files.
Thx for your hard work!
(2013-02-19, 14:20)ExSport Wrote: Do you think file which is not mod16 can be HW decoded with SW rendering instead of banning them totally?
No. It's the decoder that crashes the system, not the renderer.
Note that only the HW decoding will be blacklisted, ofc. XBMC will fallback to SW decoding, which is ok for SD.
OK thx. Then how it is possible that pure HW mode in MXPlayer is problem free but is able to use HW which is much faster than SW?
HW+ mode has same symptoms as XBMCConfused
I took the idea from CruNcher about these decoder/renderer thoughtsCool
No Idea what the HW mode of MX is. I assume dedicated players per SoC, like our amlplayer for Pivos and omxplayer for Rpi...
HW+ is probably libstagefright.
From the MX Player faq.

What are the differences between H/W and H/W+?

H/W decoder plays video(s) using stock media framework whereas H/W+ decoder plays video using MX Player's own media framework. In general, H/W+ decoder can play more videos than H/W decoder. However, some devices may not support H/W+ yet and some videos may not be played properly.
The new build is up
Howdy,

Just wondering if there is anything I as an end user with a fair bit of Network Admin experience can do to contribute to the development of this project?

Cheers!
Tried the new build. I have tested a few HD streams and they work fine but SD streams do not play properly at all, all i get is audio, subs, and garbled picture.
Hi Koying, nice job on your new build Smile blu ray 1080p MKV rips play fine, so do SD MKV rips.... loaded your new RK3066 build to my UG802 and rips stream from my Qnap wireless via smb great. Compared with a custom nightly on my MK802-III which won't play my blu ray rips.... so nice job.

Regards
Peter
Latest build is working very well for most videos in my library on ODROID-U2. SD stuttering is gone, and HD rendering is smooth as butter for 720p and plays almost flawlessly for 1080p as well (get occasional aliasing every 5-10 seconds on a couple large 33GB BR files). But overall I would dare to say rendering rivals or bests performance I get out of MX Player!
I do have one video in my library that I had run through handbrake that is crashing XMBC, I've can send Logcat and dmesg output if you like to take a look, funny thing is XMBC now plays the original video so well I can delete the handbrake version I had created Rofl
(2013-02-19, 21:36)psycon Wrote: Tried the new build. I have tested a few HD streams and they work fine but SD streams do not play properly at all, all i get is audio, subs, and garbled picture.
Please state your device.
You might have done so previously, but I don't feel like searching the 37 pages of the thread ;-)
  • 21(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
libstagefright - Experimental hardware video decoding builds10