SQL Setup
Well, it didn't work. I copied the advancedsettings.xml from this computer to my livingroom HTPC and put it in place and launched XBMC. No movies, no TV shows. Do I need to start over and do it the way Ned said? I thought that scrape was a one time thing but apparently not because now I have no sources on my main HTPC.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
don't forget sources.xml
Are you sure sources is necessary? I thought that was the whole point of SQL. My sources.xml file is a couple months old.
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
That's the way i have it setup and it works flawlessly (with sources.xml)

Synology 2411+ (media and mysql)
Synology 1511+ (audio)
QNAP TS-419P (more media)

2 HTPCs, 2 laptops and 3 desktops... all connecting to the mysql on the first NAS (to access content across all 3 NASs)
you don't really have to have sources.xml on all the machines. (although I do because then I can manage the library from any of my clients.

But wait a sec... on the first machine you setup and pointed to your mysql server did you import your library so that library db is actually on the mysql server?
Remember that scraping and whatnot is no different. You are just changing the location of where the library database is. Instead of each xbmc client have a local database, you are now just having all the machines point to the same database.
no, I didn't do any export or import. On the computer I set it up with, copied the advancedsettings.xml file where it goes and launched XBMC. It should no sources in the main menu but movies and tv shows in the videos folder. I had to right click on them each redefine them as tv shows or movies and let the computer re-scrape them. I assumed that the scraping went to the SQL server? I ripped and added a new movie to my shared folder on my NAS. I thought my clients would just see it, but I still had to "update library" on my living room HTPC in order for it to be seen. I just loaded XBMC on my office computer and it already sees the movie, so I am guessing that at least 1 machine needs to scan for new media in order for it to be displayed in XBMC. I thought maybe SQL server would do that automatically when it detected a new file. I guess not though...
I use one machine to add content to mysql, none of my other machines are setup to do that. All the modifying and so on is all done from that same main desktop. I don't need to "update library" on any of the other machines, content is available to them right away as soon as its added to mysql

mysql will not add anything automatically. Its a database and nothing more. Scripts, apps, programs are what are for adding and removing content (XBMC will take care of that for one, assuming you set one of them to scan for new content...which is how I have it setup)
OK that kind of makes sense. That's why after updating on my living room HTPC I can already see the movie on my other PC's right? Once 1 PC adds media, it's in SQL and immediately added to XBMC? I wonder if there's some automated way I can do that on my computer I used to rip my blu ray movies...
(2013-01-17, 03:37)patseguin Wrote: OK that kind of makes sense. That's why after updating on my living room HTPC I can already see the movie on my other PC's right? Once 1 PC adds media, it's in SQL and immediately added to XBMC? I wonder if there's some automated way I can do that on my computer I used to rip my blu ray movies...

It's "added" to all of them because they are all pointing to the same database, so yes, they all will see the same thing.
Well, I guess it's not working or something. I was watching a movie (Taken 2) in the living room and stopped it and went to bed. I got up this morning and decided to play it on XBMC here and it just started from the beginning, no resume. I do have the advanced settings on this computer and yes all 3 are Frodo RC3. A major reason for doing this was so I would have a centralized database and the ability to resume in any room. I'm assuming something is not set up right? Should I maybe do it like Ned said where before adding the advancedsettings, I export my library, add it, then import the library back in?

BTW, I am using the default Confluence skin on all 3 so I don't see any reason why resume wouldn't work.
(2013-01-17, 15:58)patseguin Wrote: Well, I guess it's not working or something. I was watching a movie (Taken 2) in the living room and stopped it and went to bed. I got up this morning and decided to play it on XBMC here and it just started from the beginning, no resume. I do have the advanced settings on this computer and yes all 3 are Frodo RC3. A major reason for doing this was so I would have a centralized database and the ability to resume in any room. I'm assuming something is not set up right? Should I maybe do it like Ned said where before adding the advancedsettings, I export my library, add it, then import the library back in?

BTW, I am using the default Confluence skin on all 3 so I don't see any reason why resume wouldn't work.

Did you actually press stop? I know if I pause and then switch off my PC downstairs (or just switch off while it's playing) with the intent to watch the rest of it upstairs, the position isn't saved. You have to literally press stop for the resume position to be saved.
Yes, I did. I'll try it again when I get home to make sure. Since newly added movies are appearing on all systems, I am guessing that something is set up right. If I'm not able to resume something I'm watching then all I can think of is to wipe out the DB on the NAS and start over.
OK so I paused a movie in the living room and came to the computer room and it plays from the beginning. I pressed STOP and came to the computer room and it asked me to resume. I guess it is working after all!

When I got home from work I turned on the living room HTPC to a black screen. Apparently it had crashed and that must be why the resume didn't work last night. After the hard reboot, my movies and tv shows menu items were gone. I closed XBMC and reopened it and they were back.
Glad to hear you got it working Smile
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SQL Setup0