Solved Why would a specific machine not display movies?
There must be something I overlooked, but I hit the wall on that one. Been trying to figure out for hours.

I have 3 machines running XBMC Eden and connected trough a (newly configured) mySql database on the same server that hosts my movie, image & music files.
Since this evening, the most recent machine won't display movies.

It does connect to the web, weather is updating, rss feeds as well. Fanart are displayed. It even lists the numbers of movies I have in the database, but can't display any of them, and doing a search won't lead to anything.

If I add a movie and request a database search, it will find that movie and the other machine will see it, but it still won't display anything in the movie list. Or the TV show list. or the music video list.
but the music list works OK.

The other machines all list the movies correctly.

Now, I know I have been playing with the configuration of that machine, trying to bring it to par with the other ones.
Is there anything in the config that could prevent it from displaying movies?
I tried to change the monitor resolution, to change the skin, to reload XBMC several times. I don't think it has anything to do with the database, I am under the impression it removes movies it feels won't play? The log files doesn't seem to show anything special; it seems identical to another machine's xbmc log...

That machine runs Eden on Windows 7 and a PC-to-TV card via S-Video on a CRT television (in the basement)
I did play a whole movie for a test no later than yesterday and had no issue.
There must be something I did to prevent movie display.

Under what condition will a movie not show in a list?
Well, I figured out how to prevent it from happening, but I don't quite understand.

Apparently, if I set an admin password (to prevent people to access settings) it won't display movies.

Which does not make any sense being that the upstairs living room XBMC box has that option and works like a charm.

is there something I don't quite understand here??
It sounds like a permissions issue on the system that can't play the files. Are you able to access and play those server-hosted files on Windows (without XBMC running)?
The system can play the files. The problem isn't with windows rights management.

Seeing the list of movies dissapear in XBMC if I use the XBMC settings of adding an admin password - which I use to prevent the kids from altering the configuration of the XBMC box.
debug log (wiki) needed
(2013-01-17, 17:24)Marsupial Wrote: Seeing the list of movies dissapear in XBMC if I use the XBMC settings of adding an admin password - which I use to prevent the kids from altering the configuration of the XBMC box.

OK, you're referring to the XBMC master lock and perhaps setting up profiles. If you had set up a profile that uses *separate* media source from the master/default profile, then you won't see the movies when you switch to this new profile. What you may want to do for your kids' profile is to have it share media sources with the master profile and use "Lock preferences" to prevent their profile from accessing certain options and settings pages.

Ned: I didn't know there was more than a single log level, or even a distinction between the log I already see, and the debug log. Thanks for brigning it to my attention with the log request you just did!

Artrafael, I don't use profiles...
I get a lot of debug messages about missing matching sources.
I didn't enter the various sources on this box, it uses the mysql database. Can it be that without the master password it agrees with the SQL db, but when you enter the password it complains??

here's one example. There's lot of chatter in the log, too big to put in the post, but no errors to speak of. Anything I should focus on when I paste it?
Code:
no matching source found for [smb://SERVERBOX/MOVIEdepot/ISOs/2010/]
Post the log to a site like http://xbmclogs.com and then post the url here.
Well I found it. As I anticipated, it has to do with sources.

If you have an mySQL database for your XBMC machines, and setup a new box, it will "see the networked content" without you adding sources, as long as you connect properly to the SQL database. (advancedsettings.xml)
Even with no local "media source" added.
Kind of a neat quick and dirty way of setting your boxes.

Now... if you protect your settings by adding a password, the content will be "known" but not "accessible". Even if you don't lock anything, but just set the administrator's password. You know, when you actually lock say the movie section, it will ask you a password to actually access it. And you can't know the number of movies without accessing to the list of movies. But at this point, we read "movies: 200" but going to the movie section (with no mention of password) leads to an empty list.

From there, if you actually add the sources to the networked path of your movies (without even scanning them) you'll have access to the movies.

Is it just me or it makes no sense?
It's probably just a combination that no one really tested with, both password protected sources and MySQL. It's also another reason why the Team wants to find a replacement for MySQL to share libraries easier, since there's all this added complication to the current method.
Well, I am not password protecting the sources. Locking the settings however makes a lot of sense, particularly with kids.

Its not like there's any real issues really, but I wanted to post the "solution" to that "issue" somewhere; while there doesn't seem to be lots of people that use those two combined, the next one to fall on that trap might will hopefully find this thread and be done with it.

Thanks a lot for the support, Ned.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why would a specific machine not display movies?0