Next PVR + Windows Media Center on same PC
Question 
I've had my windows media center using 2 Ceton InfiniTV cards with 6 Xboxs as extenders setup for several years and it works great. But, it's getting kinda boring and I'd like to use another solution that integrates with XBMC. I have 0 linux knowledge otherwise HTS TVHeadend or MythTV seem like they are the best options. NextPVR seems to be the best windows solution that will support cable cards. Can I safely run Windows media center on my Windows 7 PC using my internal ceton cards and use NextPVR using a external HD Homerun Prime box? I'm not familiar with how the services/programs work. I have 2 separate drives setup for recording as well so everything would be dedicated for the most part for each program (each has their own hardware tuners and drive to record to).

I basically need to have the windows media center system running and stable to support the house through setting up this newer system and am hoping I can use 1 PC thats on 24/7 to take care of both programs.

thanks!
I had to laugh when I read that a house with 6 xbox360's is boring. it shouldn't an issue and I know one user who is doing this and I think he even uses the Ceton tuner with NextPVR from time to time. If you can afford the Prime that is much better approach.

Just because something is linux doesn't make it better and since you are using WMC successfully for the tuner backend NextPVR uses pretty much the same interface as WMC. For live tv and mpeg-ts playback XBMC will be the weakest link.

Martin
I meant boring as in the interface for tv, program guide, sluggishness of the extenders vs the xbmc interface overall. I got nextpvr installed, setup a few recordings, and so far seems ok compatibility wise. I can play live tv and recordings via nextpvr on xbmc rc3, one thing I'm missing is direct channel entry though. Maybe I'm missing something, but using constellation on my iPad and yatse on the nexus 10, I can't type channel numbers in manually. I then tried the original Xbox 360 remotes (white back-lit ones) and it does control xbmc through menus but still no direct channel entry. I will be doing more investigating on that and also making sure WMC is working still side by side with nextpvr.

One other thing I noticed is that NEWA will say recording failed sometimes while trying to create series recordings through the browser but thy do show up in the manage recordings menu-sometime properly, and sometimes on channel 1. Basic functionality is working though as far as nextpvr and xbmc goes atleast.
If you are trying to create a recurring recording in NEWA on a show that is currently airing you might be seeing quirk in NextPVR that doesn''t schedule the current show It only schedules future shows. Technically this message is correct.

Martin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Next PVR + Windows Media Center on same PC0