Question regarding "Idle Scanning"
Lightbulb 
Hi Devs,

i just would like to know if the "idle scanning"-option forces HTS to scan the channels/muxes non-stop, or in intervals. If it is in intervals, is it possible to set the interval? maybe scan 1 time every 24 hours?

I wonder, if in combination with this, and the "Close device handle when idle"-option, my DVB-C - USB-Stick will stop wasting energy and coold down again.

for info: my system is running 24/7 because its also providing some other services, which should be available 24/7. I don't know how much energy is wasted with this stick, but it gets pretty warm, even when nobody watches TV.

greetings pyro
*push*
I have no idea for what "idle scanning" is generally used for .. I added all muxes that I need, detected the services and anything works fine - I've never activated idle scanning - and don't miss anything .. Huh
HTPC Specs: Silverstone GD05B Case, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, i5-3470S, GT1030, 8 GB RAM , 2 TB HDD, iHOS104 BluRay Drive, TT DVBS2-1600, Sony PS3 BD Remote control
PS3 BD Remote Control Daemon for Kodi/Linux
UNCHAINED Demo Group
I guess its for EPG and detecting new muxes + channels, don't know other reasons. thats why I would like to set it once every 24 hours to scan all channels. that would be more than enough, instead of non-stop scanning.
how often do you have new muxes / services ?? If there should be a new service, you can add it manually if you want to - I added every single mux by myself 'cause I didn't want 1000 se*-commercial-channels automatically added to my services list ;-)

EPG isn't affected by that, works here without "idle scanning" ..

Greetz

LastCoder
HTPC Specs: Silverstone GD05B Case, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, i5-3470S, GT1030, 8 GB RAM , 2 TB HDD, iHOS104 BluRay Drive, TT DVBS2-1600, Sony PS3 BD Remote control
UNCHAINED Demo Group
That's the point! Is MY english so bad? I do NOT want it to scan non-stop! I want it more like you LastCode, but not completely deactivated.

Quote: EPG isn't affected by that, works here without "idle scanning" ..
Thats not right IN MY CASE, I receive EPG only from the DVB-C-Transportstream. That is the reason why I would let is scan all my activated channels/muxes ONCE every 24 hours.
Just a thought - and I don't know if the config files are re-read unless you restart tvheadend, so this could be a non-starter - but you could manually switch idle scanning on and off with a cron job that edits the relevant config file. Yes, it's a clumsy workaround, but if tvheadend spots the change then it'd be an easy sed job... /home/hts/.hts/tvheadend/dvbadapters/<adaptername>...
(2013-01-28, 16:00)Pyromaniac Wrote: That's the point! Is MY english so bad? I do NOT want it to scan non-stop! I want it more like you LastCode, but not completely deactivated.

Quote: EPG isn't affected by that, works here without "idle scanning" ..
Thats not right IN MY CASE, I receive EPG only from the DVB-C-Transportstream. That is the reason why I would let is scan all my activated channels/muxes ONCE every 24 hours.

Nope, I understood what you meant Big Grin So you want (not permanent) idle-scanning since you think it's necessary for EPG .. hm .. I've no idea if that is right; I get my EPG over DVB-S streams and don't need idle scanning for that Huh

Hope Adam or someone else could tell if that's right .. if idle-scanning wouldn't be necessary for EPG you would deactivate it, wouldn't you, or do you see another reason it could by useful ?

Greetz

LastCoder
UNCHAINED Demo Group
Idle scanning is not required for ota epg, those are handled differently (though related code path).

Mainly its there to continually monitor network state, new stuff, quality that sort of thing.

You can disable if you don't care about that. But you can't say scan every so often. That would need new code.

Adam
alright then, thank you for the answer Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question regarding "Idle Scanning"0