Animated (Cinemagraph) posters in skins
Recently came across this via Reddit and would like to use it as my poster art for the movie with the top spinning. Is this achievable?

Cheers,

Jason.
Trying to help clean up the afterbirth :laugh:
Just came here to post this - hoping that there may be a way. Would be awesome to incorporate cinemagraph support.
+1 for this, would be awesome but I guess may be issues / not possible as they are prob animated gifs and xbmc uses jpg
2001: A Space Odyssey

http://i.imgur.com/AVhfCm4.gif
thegamesdb.net - An open video games database.
scottbrant.net - Blog
I too saw that, and today this:

Hopefully someone can help, I think it would be great to have many posters like this. I remember an older one I saw too here:

This is not possible atm. The wiki had something in it that gifs would be / had been possible.
But i never got one to work. Tried all settings.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
Correct, XBMC does not support caching .gifs. With the new texture cache stuff it would be theoretically possible. What would need doing:

1. Support for .gif extension of local art. Search for "jpg" and "png" should find most of these in the source - IIRC CVideoThumbLoader::GetLocalArt() and CFileItem::FindLocalArt() are the main ones, along with some others for seasons and actors in CVideoInfoScanner. With this the local .gifs will be cached as .jpg's, so you should see the first frame at least.

2. Support caching these .gif files. This will be a bit trickier, as we currently rely on the ability to write an image to disk from a texture in memory (i.e. encode to whatever format we need). I'm not sure if CxImage supports this very well - the wrapper around it certainly doesn't. I'm not sure whether it will be possible to bypass this process and skip the encoding step in favour of a direct copy. It may be - this would be done in CTextureCacheJob if so.

I doubt any of the team will bother working on this, so it'd be up to someone else to work on it. As always, they'll be provided pointers around the codebase.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for the response Jonathan.
Trying to help clean up the afterbirth :laugh:
Photo 
Hi Jonathan
I started a thread last year promoting the idea of cinemagraph. I firmly believe that it or looped mp4's are the next evolution in menu, poster and fanart presentation. you are using CxImage, a small and limited app where it is so easy to create cinemagraphs in photoshop cs5/6. If you look at the number of views on this thread and my earlier one, it would seem that there is a lot of interest. The number of contributors to this format is exploding on the net. It really does offer the possibility of emulating animated menus like Bluray and DVD's. You say that the XBMC team won't bother working on this, even despite the interest? Can you imagine how good these would look?

I personally cannot, those look horrible.
Well sir I can only hope that if I ever get the opportunity to comment on any creative endeavor of yours that I respond with "not my cup of tea but others might like it". In any event these were only offered as quick mock-ups. Here are a couple of screen shots of 'real' projects in the hope this eventually gets off the ground:

While I wouldn't use it on all movies I think if done right it would look amazing!
Main HTPC/Server, Ubuntu 18.04, Leia 18.0
ASUS Chromebox, Ubuntu 18.04, Leia 18.0, Aeon Nox 5: SiLVO Mod
What about:

Thinking about VideoDB-Mode:
- extracting Cover with gifextractor
- using multiimage (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=115013)
- in videoDB-mode using something like <imagepath>$INFO[ListItem.Path,,cover]</imagepath>
- adding an ID to get a basic cover-image as a fallback and some visible-tags should do the job
http://www.xbmcnerds.com - german xbmc community
I like it. With subtlety and good taste, it could improve the way XBMC looks. Any news on implementation?
+1, interested in this as well, for movie posters and primarily as in pan2's examples as background.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Animated (Cinemagraph) posters in skins1