1080i deinterlacing
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for advice as to which processor / gpu combinations are able to use advanced deinterlacing techniques for 1080i streams. I'm adding a second box to my network and will be using the live tv feature from the latest RC builds.

My main movie watching box is based on an Intel NUC platform and is working very well for all progressive format video but the bob deinterlacing looks awful.

From the reading I have done it looks like the ION range are underpowered for 1080i but can't find a minimum spec that can.

Ideally I would like to use a nettop type device rather than a larger case.

Can anyone comment on the capabilities of the AMD E450 for this type of situation?

I have searched the forums but can't find an answer to my query
From memory I think the nVidia 430 was well regarded for being able to handle Temporal/Spatial 2x de-interlacing on 1080i content in Linux. 2x is important to me as I watch lots of native interlaced 50i content, so want 50Hz rather than 25Hz motion.

I bought a 430 and have been quite happy with it. (Went for a passive full-height card)
Agreed.. nvidia seems to be the best bet for 1080i. ION1 is not so good, but ION2 or a discete nvidia card (GT610 fanless works very nicely) will do the job.
Firrst of all thanks to everyone for you suggestions.

Point #1:
The NUC should be powerful enough to software de-interlace your videos. I think XBMC supports Yadif, which may be good enough for your needs.

With the current setup the only options I get for deinterlacing are bob and inverse bob. Am I missing somthing in the settings that will allow this to be enabled?

Point #2
Another option is to let XBMC field-sync your 1080i streams with your TV. This lets the TV's internal de-interlacer do the leg work. Some TV's support vector-adaptive (i.e. fancy) de-interlacing, so it might be worth a try.

I have been looking for this option but the only available display modes from the settings are progessive. This would be an ideal option as I can then just move the NUC to the other room when I want to use it. Any pointers on how to make this work would be very much appreciated.

Point #3
I agree that nVidia, ion 2 or above, will be your best bet for hardware de-interlacing. As said by another poster, I believe the GT430 is the cheapest way to get the highest quality de-interlacing available.

Can anyone confirm that the ION2 is able to handle Temporal/Spatial 2x de-interlacing on 1080i content in Linux?
This might be useful if you look at nVidia : http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/my...296#536296
The vector options aren't showing because your processor/igpu doesn't (not even close) support it. Vector adaptive decoding requires a fairly robust GPU.
Main HTPC:
Intel e4600 + AMD HD5450 + Antec NSK2480B case + 4gb ddr2 + Earthwatts 430 + 1.5tb Seagate 7200 + XBMC Rapier Qualar Mod Skin + Win7
Office HTPC/Ripper/Server:
AMD x4 635 + GT220 + Antec 300 case + 4gbddr3 + OCZ ModXStream 500 psu + 3x2tb WD green drives + Win7

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080i deinterlacing0