Solved Ripped CD won't add to music library
Hi,
I want to put my cd collection on xbmc. Ripping audio cd's works fine, the cd is recognised each time and the id3 tags are filled in nicely. The generated filenames are carrying the current track name and artist. So far so good. Now when I want to add these files to my Music database nothing happens, a quick scan seems to launch but when I check the library in library view nothing is added to the library. Meaning I can only access the files in file-mode not in library mode.
However I do have some other MP3 files and sometimes they do add. I compared the id3 tags with files working and files not working but there's no big difference. Sometimes the working MP3's have even less info (year missing or other metadata). What could be the reason? I should think that if during the ripping the cd is recognised and the id3 tags are filled in the created MP3's, the MP3 should also be recognised and added when content is being scanned to the library.
I'm using XBMC Frodo RC1, aeon nox skin. Scrape, scan and other settings are set to the default values, also tried other combinations of settings other album/artist scrapers, scrapers disabled, scan disabled... nothing seems to help.

Regards,
Boein
Where do you rip the cd's to? Is that location in your music source?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add...he_library
I stored them on a central location, but even after copying them to the directory with the other mp3 s they do not appear in the library. But I also searched a bit and maybe found the problem. XBMC seems to prefer id3V2 when it comes to tagging, xbmc also seems to look for the album/artist - tag. If you rip audio cd's using the utility in xbmc this creates id3V1 tags and the album/artist tag seems to be missing. I checked this with utilities that can show the ID3 tags in an mp3. After manualy filling in the album/artist tag, the song is recognised and added to the library.
This is very weird, because if you look closer to the tags xbmc ripping tool is creating, it creates artist, album, year, title of the song.. etc but no album/artist, i"m wondering why? This is just my observation and I might be wrong but if i'm right, is it possible to modify sth so the ripping tool also creates the album/artist tag, it should be possible because the tags, album and artist, are already there but seperated. If this setting is not possible is there a script that can scan my files and add the album/artist tag automaticaly?

regards
boein
That was a bug and was fixed in RC3 if you use a nightly build it wont be an issue anymore.

PR https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/2020

Commit https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/ede5...9b8b43e5d8

uNI
Excellent, thanks for sharing. I'll do the update to RC3 and give some feedback.

Regards,
Boein
Ok, I updated frodo to RC3 ripped a CD, scanned it to the music library but still nothing added. Again checked the tags and "album/artist" tag is still empty. However the Artist and Album seperated fields are filled in. Do I have to add something extra to make it work, maybe an extra setting in xbmc or lameHuh

Regards,
Boein
See this bug report and post your info there http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/13876

If bug isnt really fixed you need to post your information in there so it can be confirmed or not.

Idk about any settings.

uNi
The fix didn't make RC3 - it was the first commit after that. A nightly will show that it's fixed.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for the info. Is there a preferred build I should use, where can I find that and how to install it?
I'm beginning to get familiar with ubuntu, xbmc installing and upgrading but installing nightly builds is totally new for me.

regards,
Boein
Hi,
I managed to install the latest nightly build. using these commands
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:nathan-renniewaldock/xbmc-nightly
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

upgrade ok but after reboot, no more sound. When I looked in XBMC system - sound all my audio-devices were gone and replaced by "pulseaudio". Never saw that one before?

I managed to revert bacht to the previous xbmc build using

sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:nathan-renniewaldock/xbmc-nightly
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

After this, sound was again ok, but the build was again RC3 and all fixes are gone.

Is it possible to fix the audio using after installing the latest nightly? Another question, I guess the ripping thing is 1 small part from a complete nightly build maybe it's possible to copy only that part and copy this fixed part over a stable build? But which part have to be copied, anybody ideas.

regards,
Boein

Use another ppa, like xvba or xbmc/unstable.

uNi
where can I find these, I tried xbmc/unstable ppa but it tells me I already have the latest release? for xvba i'm not sure how to install, where to find it...

https://launchpad.net/~wsnipex/+archive/xbmc-nightly

or

Top link my signature has a 01/24/2013 build

uNi
THanks uNi,

I installed the nightly and the audio still works. But most import, the produced MP3's from the ripping tool now seem to have the proper tags as they add nicely into the music database :-) So problem fixed, thank you very much.

Regards,
boein
Your welcome Wink

Feel free to edit main post and mark solved by selecting it from drop-down next to subject line

+1

uNi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ripped CD won't add to music library0