Solved Change the name of a home tab
I have used xbmc for years but never modified it in anyway so please be gentle with me.

I want to rename 2 of my unused home screen tabs to anime movies and anime series. How do I go about doing this?
You can go into the skin settings and, under "Home window", you can hide the unused/unneeded main menu items. Under "Custom Home", you can add custom favorites or playlists to your main menu for your anime items.
Thanks for your speedy reply artrafael.

I've already hidden the ones I don't use.

Making a custom playlist or manually adding favourites seems a bit fiddly to me. What I really wanted to do was similar to how the standard movies and tv show tabs work. Also if I do this will the content still show in the tv show and movie tabs

I thought that if there was a way to rename the weather tab for example I could just point it to the folder where the relevant files were stored and set the scrapper.
Depending on how you have your anime content organized, you may be able to simply create smart_playlists (wiki) to filter and display these items. Since they are "smart" playlists, you don't need to update them every time you add or remove anime content; they will automatically display whatever content currently exists that meet your criteria for "anime", as defined in your smart playlists. This should avoid your "fiddly" concern.

In turn, your smart playlists can be assigned to custom menu items that are displayed on the main menu. If your anime content is already in your video library, it will remain visible under Movies and TV shows. The smart playlists/custom menu items simply allow you quick access to this particular type of content from the main menu.
Cool, that sounds doable.

I have my content arranged in separate folders (ie all the movies in 1 folder all my tv shows in another), so how do i go about creating a smart playlist with that in mind?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but like I said I've never modded anything before
Start by reading the wiki article on smart playlists (link in previous post). Hopefully, you have you anime content identfiied somehow, such as by genre in the library or by specific (sub)folder name(s) so that an appropriate filter can be specified in the smart playlist.
prolly best will be to use a smart playlist rule along the lines "path" contains "anime" (i'm assuming your anime is in a folder called anime)
(2013-01-24, 01:30)artrafael Wrote: Start by reading the wiki article on smart playlists (link in previous post). Hopefully, you have you anime content identfiied somehow, such as by genre in the library or by specific (sub)folder name(s) so that an appropriate filter can be specified in the smart playlist.

I have it all in a folder labelled Anime and then each show in sub folders labelled with the name of the show

(2013-01-24, 02:04)pletopia Wrote: prolly best will be to use a smart playlist rule along the lines "path" contains "anime" (i'm assuming your anime is in a folder called anime)

Thanks for the tip.

This is all completely new to me so I may be back with silly noob questions Smile
So I've created the smart playlist and after a lot of fiddeling around have got it working.

My problem now is that all the stuff in my Anime Movies playlist (the only one I've setup so far) is also showing up when I select Movies. Is it possible to stop this happening? as I really want to separate out the anime.

I'm also concerned that this will happen with the tv shows and anime series tabs when I get round to that.
(2013-01-25, 17:52)chushajo Wrote: My problem now is that all the stuff in my Anime Movies playlist (the only one I've setup so far) is also showing up when I select Movies. Is it possible to stop this happening? as I really want to separate out the anime.

I'm also concerned that this will happen with the tv shows and anime series tabs when I get round to that.

Yep, that's what I told you earlier:

(2013-01-24, 00:14)artrafael Wrote: If your anime content is already in your video library, it will remain visible under Movies and TV shows. The smart playlists/custom menu items simply allow you quick access to this particular type of content from the main menu.

You can create another smart playlist that displays everything other than anime. To reiterate, a smart playlist just provides a method to filter your library content; it doesn't change the behavior of the library itself (e.g., it won't remove content from your library).
Okay so now I have the following tabs displayed

Movies
TV Shows
Anime Movies
Anime Series

All of these are smart playlists. I have hidden all the standard tabs except settings and shutdown.

My problem now is that no new content is showing up and I have no way to manually add it.

What have I done wrong?
And shouldn't it scrape automatically as it did before and just add the new stuff?
Do you have XBMC setup to automatically update library at startup?
Also, you should probably leave the Videos menu option enabled so you can manually initiate library scans for new content when desired.
Yeah it scans on startup, but now doesn't find new stuff

Okay I'll put back the video option and report back........
Thanks artrafael got all functioning as I wanted.

Really appreciate all your help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Change the name of a home tab0