Struggling With Serving Over UPnP
Hi, I could really use some help with a UPnP problem. I've just about run out of things to try, or even google for!

Ultimately I think it should be possible for me to stream a show from the internet (like I can watch a Discovery Channel show in a browser) to my TV via the Xbox 360. I found a site that suggested I could add internet streams to the xbmc library using .STRM files but before I can even think about that, I can't seem to access any files at all on my xbmc V11 UPnP server. The server is running on Win XP on an Acer laptop with wireless access to the local network. I have another similar Dell laptop that is also wireless and has xbmc V10 installed on and I also have and Android running BubbleUPnP and the Xbox 360.
I can see the xbmc server on the UPnP network with everything but then
the Xbox 360 gives "No videos found"
the Android and the xbmc client on the laptop show the Music and Video Libraries with some more folders under the Music Library but the Video Library is empty.

My first searches suggested that there was no media in the xbmc library but I have added a local directory as a source with a test avi file that I can see and play locally on the server but still does not appear on anything else. I also have a network share added as a source and when I removed it, it asked if I wanted to update the library - so that suggests to me that it was in the library? I also have an add-on that allows me to view video streams over the internet, still nothing visible to any UPnP clients.
I have also tried setting up the second Dell laptop as a server with the same results.

Any help is most appreciated, cheers.
XBOX is very fussy about what it can and can't (mostly can't) play. Perhaps that is the problem?

upnp on your xbmc machine will not share your internet stream addons.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-01-24, 00:12)MaxTakeoff Wrote: My first searches suggested that there was no media in the xbmc library but I have added a local directory as a source with a test avi file that I can see and play locally on the server but still does not appear on anything else.

Welcome to the XBMC forums.

After adding the local directory (containing your test avi file) as an XBMC video source, did you scan this item into your video library? You can verify by drilling down this path: Videos > Library > Movies > Title > locate, select and play your test movie. If you can't navigate this path, then you don't have any movies in your library and, consequently, your UPnP clients won't see any movies either.

For instructions on how to add items to your video library, see this wiki article: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Vid...he_library

Guys, you were bang on!!! I feel like such an a$$! Once I told xbmc what the test movie was called, it found the metadata and now I can see it on all the UPnP clients - awesome, thank you!! I just can't believe that I didn't discover that during the many hours I've been faffing about with this.

It's a real shame that xbmc won't share the internet streams, looks like I'll have to keep digging for a solution to that. I have been playing about with streaming the desktop via VLC but I feel like that is a bit of an ugly way of doing it.

Thanks again.

Seems v12 Frodo will also share non-scraped/library videos as well.
(2013-01-24, 05:05)Ned Scott Wrote: Seems v12 Frodo will also share non-scraped/library videos as well.

I read the same thing in another post recently, but I can't seem to confirm this new behavior. As far as I can tell, the UPnP client still only sees library content from the UPnP host... at least that's the case when both host and client are running XBMC.

I added a new movie file to the movie folder of my XBMC UPnP host system. I intentionally did not scrape this new movie to the library, but all other files in this folder were previously scraped to the library. On my XBMC client system, I added my host system as a UPnP video source. On the client, I can access the UPnP source and see/play all the videos that are in the library of my host system. However, the unscraped movie is not visible on the client.

I also added a new video source on my host system that consists of a folder with movie files, but did not set content nor scan this folder into the library. On my client system, this non-library source is not visible.

Both the host and client are running Frodo RC3.

You should get an extra "Files" node along with Title, Actors, Years, etc.
Ah, okay, I was looking in the wrong place (mistakenly thought they would be listed together with the library content). I'm actually seeing the "Files" node one level up -- along with Movies, TV shows, Playlists, Recently added, etc. It works! I can access my unscraped host files. What's even cooler is that I can even access and launch host playlists now.
So I should give Frodo a try them, I'll go download it and see how I get on - sweet. This is great!
For awhile I have been using Serviio to stream my media using UPnP. Using XBMC/Kodi as a client on Android TV boxes. This works pretty well. However I have read that the Kodi devs are working on incorporating UPnP more closely with the library, so I want to try and switch from Serviio to Kodi as my UPnP server. I set it up the way the wiki shows, it is pretty simple. My clients can see the Kodi UPnP server and list all the media files, but will not play anything. When I click on a media file on one of the clients, nothing happens. When I was using Serviio, the file would play.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
There's some bugs in the current UPnP library sharing stuff. You might want to try out the experimental test builds for the new UPnP stuff: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=224794

Some of it is still very much in-progress, but a lot of the features are already usable. At least, more usable than some of the current UPnP stuff ;)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Struggling With Serving Over UPnP0