No audio over HDMI
Ok, so my issue is I get no audio at all on my latest build...no matter what I do. I am now running XBMCbuntu using an Nvidia GeForce 8400. Does anyone have any clues? I have spent countless days looking at other people with the same issue, and trying so many things that I can't even think straight anymore...
Presuming we are going to entertain another NO Audio via HDMI thread, you have to at least post more information about your tried and failed things, so we can suggest something new and avoid going through all the same things you already tried.

For e.g. unmute spdif 1 in alsamixer and look at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...dio_issues

Nothing that hasn't been posted 50 million times tbh.

uNi

Ok, I think I have made more progress tracking the problem down, but it is just leading to more questions.

First I typed aplay -l to find out what I have. Here are the results:
Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ICH6 [Intel ICH6], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel ICH6]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: ICH6 [Intel ICH6], device 4: Intel ICH - IEC958 [Intel ICH6 - IEC958]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
I then typed the following:
Code:
amixer -q set Master 100% unmute
amixer -q set PCM 100% unmute
amixer -q set hw:1,3 unmute
This gave me an error on the hw:1,3 line of "amixer: Unable to find simple control 'hw:1',3". I have no idea because the device is listed.

I then tried cat /dev/urandom | aplay which had the effect of static noise coming from the computer in the garage.

I quit XBMC and logged into XBMCbuntu, right clicked on the volume and brought up the Volume Control Settings. The default is the Intel ICH6 card and there are a bunch of volume settings here, such as Master, Headphones, PCM, etc.
I hit F6 and select my HDA Nvidia card. Here are there are only four volume choices (S/PDIF, S/PDIF1, S/PDIF2, S/PDIF3) and they only have a square box above them with 00 in each. I cannot change them.

I am guessing that my sound is not being output through my Nvidia card but I have no idea how to fix it...
Those spdif devices in alsamixer - are any of them muted? Will show M at the bottom of the "slider" - if so unmute via the "M" button.

If that fails, try a full debug log (wiki) and also

cat /proc/asound/version
ls -l /proc/asound
ls -l /proc/asound/NVidia (capitalisation may be different)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
The wiki suggests that your devices may not EXACTLY be as the example code suggests.

so in your case this:

Code:
amixer -q set hw:1,3 unmute

Could very well be

amixer -q set hw:1,7 unmute
amixer -q set hw:1,8 unmute
amixer -q set hw:1,9 unmute

Edit scratch that since your trying to unmute devices that actually dont exist and or in the wrong format.

Either way you should run alsamixer on terminal and unmute all spdif devices usually spdif 1 is HDMI device but this may not always be the case for everyone. Again the wiki is attempting to generalize on a wide subject which is usually a muted device.

I guess the best way is to ask for a screenshot of the alsamixer when viewing all devices.

uNi

I have a full debug log at http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=30086

Here are the commands on /proc/asound
Code:
michael@OlsbergXBMC:~$ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.25.
michael@OlsbergXBMC:~$ ls -l /proc/asound
total 0
dr-xr-xr-x 9 root root 0 Jan 24 15:54 card0
dr-xr-xr-x 6 root root 0 Jan 24 15:54 card1
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 24 15:54 cards
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 24 15:54 devices
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 24 15:54 hwdep
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Jan 24 15:54 ICH6 -> card0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 24 15:54 modules
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Jan 24 15:54 NVidia -> card1
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Jan 24 15:54 oss
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 24 15:54 pcm
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Jan 24 15:54 seq
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 24 15:54 timers
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 24 15:54 version
michael@OlsbergXBMC:~$ ls -l /proc/asound/NVidia
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Jan 24 15:55 /proc/asound/NVidia -> card1

As for unmuting spdif on alsamixer, the problem is they are already unmuted, but the volume is stuck at 0. I cannot increase them. I am including some screenshots to show. The first two are some of the options for my on-board sound. The third image is of my Nvidia card which shows how I cannot change anything. The screenshot kind of sucks but in each box of the S/PDIF's is '00' and not 'MM' or 'M'.

You are not supposed to be able to adjust the output on digital devices, it is just mute and unmute so they are fine. I'll look at the log later, working now.

EDIT: sorry I mean you are not supposed to be able to adjust the volume on digital devices...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Code:
15:44:25 T:3007694656  NOTICE:     Device 5
15:44:25 T:3007694656  NOTICE:         m_deviceName      : hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
15:44:25 T:3007694656  NOTICE:         m_displayName     : HDA NVidia
15:44:25 T:3007694656  NOTICE:         m_displayNameExtra: SNY SONY AVAMP on HDMI #1
15:44:25 T:3007694656  NOTICE:         m_deviceType      : AE_DEVTYPE_HDMI
15:44:25 T:3007694656  NOTICE:         m_channels        : FL,FR
15:44:25 T:3007694656  NOTICE:         m_sampleRates     : 32000,44100,48000
15:44:25 T:3007694656  NOTICE:         m_dataFormats     : AE_FMT_LPCM,AE_FMT_S32NE,AE_FMT_S16NE,AE_FMT_S16LE
Looks like this is the device connected to something - a Sony amplifier? So is that the device you have chosen in xbmc's audio settings?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No audio over HDMI0