Enter a source which is unconnectable will freeze the GUI
topfs2 Wrote:Problem: Enter a source from videos/music which is unconnectable or slow in any way will freeze the GUI without any way to cancel

Solution: Busy dialog with cancel or busy icon by the source?
There should already be a busy dialog there (which is cancellable) ?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

It so happens I have some offline SMB sources, when I try to connect to them XBMC immediately pops up a "Could not connect to remote server" or "Path not found or invalid" dialog.
For slower sources there is a "Working" busy dialog in the lower right corner.

I wonder what the circumstances were in this case?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
I think the circumstances was the same as with you sho, it was probably just terribly slow. Either way, it should be cancelable if its slow?

EDIT: IIRC isn't there a busy spinner thing in CFileSmb or something weird like that? Or perhaps that was removed? I recall it being added at one point since smb can be real slow at times.
If you have problems please read this before posting

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
There's a busy spinner on all directory fetches. The only one where there isn't one is the first access of the directory when going from Home->Media window. Reason is due to other things (the UI gets left in a state of unknown as a list isn't available as yet to setup the views properly). Once that is fixed, that will also have a busy spinner.

Ah cool. There is another interaction problem though. I did try to back out of the busy spinner, which does work, so it is cancellable. It is however not apperant that you can back out of it IMO.

So we probably need to add something to the busy spinner so its apperant that its cancellable. E.g. by adding the text "Press back to cancel".

But its an interesting point you bring up, when going from Home to a window which is already deep within a source (which may be unconnectable). In this case a busy spinner in the list would not work. We could potentially have it in the list though? So you enter the window and within the list there is a spinner, i.e. don't have it as a popup?
If you have problems please read this before posting

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I don't like too much text, and the busy dialog is not always cancellable, but I agree that it would nice to have a way to indicate to the user that it is. Note that this normally corresponds to when the progress on the busy dialog is available, so it would be reasonably easy to add a control for this.

@Jezz_X/ronie etc: any ideas on how you could represent this?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Enter a source which is unconnectable will freeze the GUI0