Many Homemade Thumbnails: Program that will generate filename.jpg in same folder?
Apologies if this would be better suited for the add-on or another section.

I'd like to quickly generate thumbnails for lots of homemade clips (I'm also generating homemade .nfo files) that I'd like to add to a library. Seems the easiest way to get *useful* clips is to load up everything in a VLC playlist, hit the screen capture button at the correct spot, click next video, then move on. However, since I'm dealing with lots of files, I hate to move the screenshot directory to the proper folder and then have to rename the screenshot each time.

Is there a program available that...
1) Will take a screenshot?
2) Will let me name all screenshots <filename.jpg or filename.tbn>?
3) Will save these in the appropriate (same as the video file) folder?

Is this possible? Any advice? I'd also be curious if I could do it all via batch with ffmpeg or something. Again, I don't need to take a screenshot every 10 seconds, only need one per video.
It's possible to use both ffmpeg and VLC in a batch file and extract a thumbnail.

http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/Creat...he%20video

http://wiki.videolan.org/How_to_create_thumbnails
Same solution as in previous thread: MediaMonkey 4. MM4 will auto-generate a thumbnail, which can be replaced by creating a thumb from playing the video in MM4. There is a script, "Album Art Tagger" which will rename the thumb to a user-selected format (video path\filename, folder, etc) The thumbs are in png format.

scott s.
I've played with Media Monkey a little bit--guess I need to figure out how to use it a little better, wasn't sure where the thumbnails were stored. In the meantime, I came up with the following batch file that I use with VLC. Basically, you need to point it to your vlc path, and then it will load every video file (if you add the proper extension) in your folder and all of your subfolders. All you need to do is hit the default screenshot (Shift-S in windows) and it will save <filename.jpg> in the same folder. After you've taken the screenshot, close the video file, and it will launch the next one.

VLC-Screenshots.bat
be sure to change your VLC path. Requires videolan (obviously).
Code:
setlocal enableextensions enabledelayedexpansion

SET VLCPATH=%PATH%;C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC
REM SET YOUR VLC PATH HERE

SET PATH=%PATH%;%VLCPATH%
for /r %%f in ("*.flv", "*.mpg", "*.avi", "*.wmv", "*.mp4") do vlc --snapshot-format=jpg --snapshot-path="%%~pf%%~nf.jpg" "%%f"
pause

endlocal

EDIT: Updated because it was saving the .jpgs in the root directory instead of the same directory as the filename. Also forced vlc to save as type .jpg (instead of just naming a .PNG with a .jpg file extension).
An alternative using ffmpeg could be something like this:

Code:
@echo off

if not %1.==. goto proces

FOR %%d IN ("*.flv","*.3gp","*.avi","*.mpg","*.wmv","*.mp4") DO call CreateThumbs.cmd "%%d"

goto end

:proces

set tmp=%1
set noext=%tmp:~0,-5%

ffmpeg -y -i %tmp% -vframes 1 -ss 00:00:02 -an %noext%.tbn

:end

Save this file as CreateThumbs.cmd and run it once in every folder that has movies without thumbnails. Took it from a batch I made that created .nfo and fanart for all of my homemovies in one go. But this one should work.

FFY
Cool, I have something similar and it works ok but obviously sometimes randomly snapped screencaps leave much to be desired. I may integrate my two batch programs to do a first run with preview where the user deletes any .jpgs that aren't satisfactory and then runs the vlc screenshot batch file to manually fix any bad thumbnails.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Many Homemade Thumbnails: Program that will generate filename.jpg in same folder?0