Linux Choppy Video and No Audio
So I am having another issue with XBMC in Ubuntu 12.10. I have XBMC to auto start when turning the computer on. When I play my BR rips the video is choppy and there is no audio. No amount of restarts or exiting XBMC fixes the problem. The only way to fix this is by opening up the advancedsetting.xml file. Not even changing anything, just opening and starting XBMC fixes the issue. Any thoughts?

As a side note without all the problems I like using XBMC on Linux but with all the headaches I am seriously considering going back to Windows albeit the stupid video stutter from multiple sleep/wake session that I still don't think has been fixed in the Windows version.
ASUS F2A85-M PRO FM2 -- AMD A10-6800K -- 8gig DDR3 1600 -- Nvidia GTX 650 -- Samsung SSD 120gig -- GRANDIA GD05B Case -- Onkyo RC-HT260 -- Paradigm Atom Monitor S7 x4, Center 1, Surrounds 1 -- Panasonic 60ST60
So I am having an issue too.

There is this guy posting he has an issue and doesnt post enough information so anyone can help! Only some moan and random description what the perceived issue is. (not enough to process any help).

@djdcm0722 Can you help me?

I need to know what hardware this is.

I need a debug log

I need XBMC audio settings ( A SCREENSHOT) and the device the xbmc machine is connected to, e.g. TV or AVR.

uNi
Hardware is in the signature. I will post a debug log when I get home. I just find it weird that just by opening a file and not even changing anything makes everything work fine.
ASUS F2A85-M PRO FM2 -- AMD A10-6800K -- 8gig DDR3 1600 -- Nvidia GTX 650 -- Samsung SSD 120gig -- GRANDIA GD05B Case -- Onkyo RC-HT260 -- Paradigm Atom Monitor S7 x4, Center 1, Surrounds 1 -- Panasonic 60ST60
I need all the things I asked for on previous post (as in - not optional) and FYI if the hw is the same on your signature you need nvidia drivers for the GTX650 which probably means you need the xswat ppa since I doubt your Linux distro is pumping out drivers that support your card.

While we at this check out the last link on my signature.

Still definitely need all info I requested. Let me say this again, not optional.)

uNi
(2013-01-25, 12:41)djdcm0722 Wrote: The only way to fix this is by opening up the advancedsetting.xml file. Not even changing anything, just opening and starting XBMC fixes the issue. Any thoughts?

voodoo Huh
(2013-01-25, 13:42)wsnipex Wrote: voodoo Huh

My thoughts exactly, but I'll see whats up when I get home. Maybe I have something off in the advancedsettings.xml and by opening the file it stops xbmc from reading it, as in file is in use and cannot read? I'll post a debug log and see what turns up.
here is the debug log - http://pastebin.com/axjXQnhB

For some reason having XBMC auto start using the startup applications in Ubuntu is causing the Output devices to change. When turning off auto start and manually opening XBMC I get HDA NVidia, ONK HT-RC260 on HDMI #1 for both and everything works fine. Still confused however when having it auto start that opening advancedsettings.xml would make everything work again (probably will never figure that one out).

My wife pointed out another issue. I might be better off asking on an Ubuntu forum but I'll try here first. I am running Nvidia drivers 310.14 and for some reason the color space keeps changing to RGB (even though it is set to YCbCr4444). Everything is extremely dark and just by opening the Nvidia control panel I can see everything lighten up. Also, after doing this, after opening up XBMC the color space changed back to RGN and I have to open the control panel again to reset it.

audio settings
You're playing a file with DTS-HD MA audio yet got a SPDIF passthrough device selected, SPDIF is not capable of passing HD audio so you must deselect the Multichannel LPCM, TrueHd & DTS-HD options.

Any reason you're not using the HDMI? Not that their would be much benefit as even the HDMI is not reporting HD audio capability, so the above options would still need to be disabled.
Can you post the result of:

$ lspci -v
$ aplay -l
$ aplay -L
$ cat /home/andrew/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

Are you using pulseaudio?
If you dont get it fixed with the help of the above or other posters, may I suggest a painless solution? http://openelec.tv/. It will turn your PC in to an XBMC appliance with zero headaches.
If you need a full blown OS for other tasks, consider dual booting. Openelec boots in like 5 seconds. i love ubuntu, and I love XBMC, but I hate the combination Smile.
(2013-01-25, 16:36)jjd-uk Wrote: You're playing a file with DTS-HD MA audio yet got a SPDIF passthrough device selected, SPDIF is not capable of passing HD audio so you must deselect the Multichannel LPCM, TrueHd & DTS-HD options.

Any reason you're not using the HDMI? Not that their would be much benefit as even the HDMI is not reporting HD audio capability, so the above options would still need to be disabled.

Yes I am aware that you cannot play HD audio formats over SPDIF, which I think is the problem. If you read my previous post, this is what was coming up when having it auto start. When I manually start I get the correct audio output settings which says - HDA NVidia, ONK HT-RC260 on HDMI #1
(2013-01-25, 17:02)Vertigo Wrote: If you dont get it fixed with the help of the above or other posters, may I suggest a painless solution? http://openelec.tv/. It will turn your PC in to an XBMC appliance with zero headaches.
If you need a full blown OS for other tasks, consider dual booting. Openelec boots in like 5 seconds. i love ubuntu, and I love XBMC, but I hate the combination Smile.

Is Openelec the same as XBMCbuntu?
Quote:Is Openelec the same as XBMCbuntu?

Same as in they both do a similar job which is to provide a base OS for XBMC on Linux. However the similarities and level of tweakiness end right there.

Yes you have wrong passthrough device and very likely using wrong output device too, though its hard to say because i dont do full desktops+XBMC nor do I use pulseaudio. Its likely you have to disable composite also and if using any compiz disable it too.

A pulseaudio observation is that XBMC packages dont ship with pulseaudio support enabled and have to be compiled with --enable-pulse. The reason is because if it did it woulnt work for 99% of ppl which use alsa instead.

uNi
(2013-01-25, 17:55)uNiversal Wrote:
Quote:Is Openelec the same as XBMCbuntu?

Same as in they both do a similar job which is to provide a base OS for XBMC on Linux. However the similarities and level of tweakiness end right there.

uNi

Thanks, I like to tweak things so I am assuming if I were to switch I would go with XBMCbuntu. However, once I have these last few kinks worked out I should be good to go.
While the idea behind it is similar, Openelec is very different from XBMCbuntu. Its designed from the ground up to run XBMC, and XBMC only, whereas xbmcbuntu is ubuntu thats partially stripped down. As an illustration, Openelec is like 100Mb installed, XBMCbuntu needs a few gigabyte.
XBMCbuntu didnt really cure the problems I had with ubuntu, in fact it introduced a few new ones, like remote key mappings. Openelec is plug and play

Anyway; if you want to keep using ubuntu, at least try logging out and logging in using XBMC as desktop environment (click the little ubuntu icon next to your name in the login screen). You seem to be using the regular (3D?) Unity environment, which isnt a good idea for xbmc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choppy Video and No Audio0