Issues from Montellese
#1
I once did a test run where I installed a clean XBMC and just went about adding my sources etc and wrote down a few things that I found odd or confusing.

Problem: If a user adds more than one new video source, he will be prompted with a Yes/No dialog for every new source asking if it should be scanned into the library. But depending on the number of items in the source this does not always work because the scan of the previously added sources are still running. So the user has to either remember which sources have already been scanned and then wait for the running scan to finish and then manually start the scan for the remaining sources or go to the library view and manually start a scan of all the sources.
Solution: Queue these source scans as jobs and execute them one after an other automatically. Ideally if there are multiple scan jobs on the same source waiting to be processed, they could be reduced to a single one.

Problem: In the music library there is no automatic scanning of newly added sources at all. The user has to manually start it from the context menu (for which he needs to be aware of the fact that there actually is a context menu, which is IMO not obvious if you don't use a mouse and use right-click).
Solution: Add the same logic to prompt the user to scan the added source automatically. A possible problem could be that the scanning is started without giving the user a chance to customize any scraper / scraper settings. Maybe pop up the scraper selection dialog (available in the music library view as a context menu action) after adding the first music source?

Problem: In the music files view there is no direct access to the scraper settings as there is in the video files view (I guess because there's no need to set any content in the music library). It's accessible from the library view though.
Solution: Add the same context menu option available in the music library view to change/configure the album/artist scrapers to the music files view.

Problem: Entering the music window after having added some sources still brings you into the music files view and not into the library view because there's no default view yet for the music library. The user has to go one level up to be able to get into the music library views.
Solution: Go to the music library root view as soon as there is scanned content in the music library.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Reply
#2
Quote:Problem: If a user adds more than one new video source, he will be prompted with a Yes/No dialog for every new source asking if it should be scanned into the library. But depending on the number of items in the source this does not always work because the scan of the previously added sources are still running. So the user has to either remember which sources have already been scanned and then wait for the running scan to finish and then manually start the scan for the remaining sources or go to the library view and manually start a scan of all the sources.
Solution: Queue these source scans as jobs and execute them one after an other automatically. Ideally if there are multiple scan jobs on the same source waiting to be processed, they could be reduced to a single one.
Agreed. It would be relatively easy to do this as the scanner already has a vector of folders to scan, so just adding to it will do the trick.

Quote:Problem: In the music library there is no automatic scanning of newly added sources at all. The user has to manually start it from the context menu (for which he needs to be aware of the fact that there actually is a context menu, which is IMO not obvious if you don't use a mouse and use right-click).
Solution: Add the same logic to prompt the user to scan the added source automatically. A possible problem could be that the scanning is started without giving the user a chance to customize any scraper / scraper settings. Maybe pop up the scraper selection dialog (available in the music library view as a context menu action) after adding the first music source?
You've pointed out the main problem, but not defined the reason: The reason is that content is set for artists and albums (can can be re-set per genre or per artist/album). i.e. this has nothing to do with the file source. Thus, setting content can't be done on a path, and often doesn't make sense to be done on a path. Thus, if we want to prompt the user to scan, we have to allow them to configure content at a genre or artist or album level. Personally I'd much prefer that this was done automatically in some way, simply by having an overall preferred scraper for artists and then some fallbacks if no suitable information is found (for some definition of "suitable"). In the meantime, we could simply prompt for the preferred artist + album scraper (and whether or not the info should be scraped at all for this scrape). That would do the trick for most people, and those that want control over it can do it via context later.

Quote:Problem: In the music files view there is no direct access to the scraper settings as there is in the video files view (I guess because there's no need to set any content in the music library). It's accessible from the library view though.
Solution: Add the same context menu option available in the music library view to change/configure the album/artist scrapers to the music files view.
This is not possible due to the above.

Quote:Problem: Entering the music window after having added some sources still brings you into the music files view and not into the library view because there's no default view yet for the music library. The user has to go one level up to be able to get into the music library views.
Solution: Go to the music library root view as soon as there is scanned content in the music library.
This is a problem due to no music_files_in_lib branch. Fix that and the rest is solved. Note that when music is scanned the Library/Artists etc. buttons are on Home under the Music item.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.


Image
Reply
 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average



Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issues from Montellese00