Win Help with remapping MCE Remote Buttons (skip forward & right arrow in Video FullScr)
Hello - and thanks in advance for any help offered.

I'm evaluating XBMC Frodo version for my video playing needs on my Win32 Vista Ultimate OS. Everthing is looking GREAT, except for one issue. I'm a long-running MCE user where my instinct to advance 30 seconds in a video is to press the SkipForward button on my MCE RC6 Green Button Remote. While in Full Screen Mode under XBMC Videos, this button (Skip Forward >|) tries to skip to the next video in the playlist. I'd prefer it to mimic MCE functionality and allow me to SKIP ahead 30 seconds, rather then pressing the right arrow key (which works as expected). It's not really a bug in the software, but rather a configuration change need, and I'm at a loss on how to get this working correctly.

In reviewing this site: http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/support.html - I tried to make both <Global> and <FullscreenVideo> edits in my newly-created keyboard.xml file, and after stopping and restarting XBMC client, I'm not able to get my changes to take correctly... it's as though my keyboard.xml edits are not being read or are not overwriting the default behavior - i.e. the SKIP_FORWARD button (>|) tries to play the next video in the playlist rather then skip forward 30 seconds.

Below I have provided my specific edits to the default keyboard.xml file located here: https://raw.github.com/xbmc/xbmc/Eden/sy...yboard.xml
<keymap>
<global>
<keyboard>
<next_track>analogseekforward</next_track>
<prev_track>analogseekback</prev_track>
</keyboard>
</global>
</keymap>

Can I get some help and/or the specific edits that I would need to make in my keyboard.xml file? What's wrong here?

Furthermore, I'd prefer NOT to change the global setting of MCE remote (using MCE Remote Key Mapper) for all apps consuming the button press, but rather just in XBMC while using the Video Full Screen Mode.

On a scale of NOOB to Geek, I'm a NOOB here, but was able to make edits to the advancedsettings.XML and had them take effect no problem... I'm not having the same success in editing (creating) my keyboard.xml file though and really use some help in meeting my needs here.

I checked the forum (basic search) and could not locate a thread with the same needs, so sorry in advance if this has been answered and I couldn't locate it with my keyword searches.

Thanks,
Kevin
This will get you the back function.

http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/advset.html
Thanks - I'll review and give it a try... I've already added the advancedsettings.xml section to modify the default step back vaue as recommended, but I will now need to investigate the keyboard.xml edit provided...

Quick questions... Should I be editting the Default Keyboard.xml file or adding a new Keyboard.xml file to override default values? And lastly, is the filename value (Keyboard.xml file) case sensitive - such that Keyboard.xml is needed vs. keyboard.xml if I add a new file from the above question?

Ixnu - Thanks again for the pointer and help!

-Kevin
(2013-01-27, 20:03)TurboFluffy Wrote: Quick questions... Should I be editting the Default Keyboard.xml file or adding a new Keyboard.xml file to override default values? And lastly, is the filename value (Keyboard.xml file) case sensitive - such that Keyboard.xml is needed vs. keyboard.xml if I add a new file from the above question?

Ixnu - Thanks again for the pointer and help!

-Kevin

Make sure you are sending "Remote control sends keyboard presses" Basically, you are mapping keyboard to shortcuts from the remote.

When I was using Windows, I mapped keys via the registry, but it seems that you would like to keep the native reg hives for WMC...so you have to use the xml files.

I would save a copy of the Keyboard.xml as a backup. You should not edit the original. You should put a copy in:%appdata%\xbmc\userdata\keymaps\

and work off that one.

I don't believe that it is case sensitive in Windows, but it's always a good idea to keep case the same as original.

This worked for me... edit/create %AppData%\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\keymaps\appcommand.xml

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <appcommand>
      <next_track>StepForward</next_track>
      <prev_track>StepBack</prev_track>
    </appcommand>
  </global>
</keymap>

..and now everything in MCE/WMC and XBMC works the same for skipping, hooray.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with remapping MCE Remote Buttons (skip forward & right arrow in Video FullScr)0