question about profiles and sharing databases
I want to have all my movies available in my Master user profile, but only a subset of those available in a second, Kid's profile. The sources are separated. For simplicity, let's say I've got a Family source and an Action source. I'd like both Family and Action available in the master profile, but only Family available in the Kid's profile. I know this is possible using separate libraries, but I'd like to avoid having to scan the same movie into both libraries separately.

I know there's a "share with default" option in the profile for media sources and media info, but it's unclear to me exactly what that entails. If I select "shares with default - read only" in the Kid's profile, would I be able to only share the Family source?
"Shares with default" shares the default (master) libraries with this profile. "Read-only" prevents this profile from changing the library. Two options come to mind for your requirement:
  • Specify separate libraries for the kids' profile and define just the kids' movie folder as a source and scrape this into their own library. This is the option you've dismissed.
  • Share the default library in the kids' profile, but create a smart playlist that filters for just the content in the kids' movie folder. Choose a skin that lets you customize the main menu options so you can remove the default "Movies" option (which would let them see all movies) and replace it with your custom "Movies" option which would use the smart playlist to only allow them to see their movies.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
question about profiles and sharing databases0