[RC3] trouble with mono audio on video files (dropped frames, errors)
Hey guys,

I seem to be having trouble on video files with mono audio, all of those drop a lot of frames and keep throwing errors in the xbmc "o" overlay and in the log, while this is happening the fps keep fluctuating. I tried turning off deinterlacing, changing it's mode, turning off syncing display to screen or any other syncing in the xbmc options, to no avail. I tested this with an mpeg ts file (mpeg2 video, mono mp2 audio) and with the same file converted to x264 with mono aac audio, both show the same signs. As soon as I take the audio out of the equation, means removing audio from the file so I got just video it plays back perfectly.

Short description: In the "o" overlay: "error" keeps going from 0-700%, "pc" switches from 0 to 1 constantly, frames dropped
Ubuntu: 12.10 - XBMCbuntu, 3.5.0-19-generic i686
XBMC: 12.0-RC3 Git:34f503f
Debug log: http://pastebin.com/KupSHG5M
Screenshot: http://www.imgbox.de/users/public/images/Qd1e79FivR.png
Videosample: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B237cLvJ...RDTGs/edit

edit: Additional info

Sound: HTPC - SPDIF Cable - Logitech Z5500 5.1 System
Video: HTPC - HDMI - Samsung TV

Screens of my options:

Image Image Image
Have a peek at last link my signature and setup your xbmc as it indicates. Mostly the deiterlace settings to auto/off and then go from there.

Case closed if you done it all right.

uNi
Has nothing to do with deinterlacing or 23.97 nvidia troubles, picture is 25 fps pal signal deinterlaced with bob to 50fps. I can turn off deinterlacing or any syncing to screen and just go with 1080p 50 fps picture and got the same problems.

edit: Just to complete, any other 25 fps files deinterlaced to double framrate work perfectly fine, it's just the mono audio that is causing trouble.
De interlace has to be turned off or auto (at best) and all the settings I suggested were pretty much ignored or untried, so good luck as I have no more to offer except what perfectly works perfectly all around.

I would have to ask for a screenshot of audio settings menu in XBMC and where your device is connected to, e.g. TV or AVR.

uNi
Well, you don't seem to read my posts so it's kinda hard discussing with you. As mentioned in my first or second post I can turn off deinterlacing, set it to auto, switch between different modes, turn on or off syncing to screen it doesn't make a difference. And I actually used your settings to setup my htpc in the first place but as mentioned it's not about settings since they work perfectly fine as soon as my videos got stereo audio.

I can convert the audio to stereo mp2 in the sample I've posted while just remuxing the video and it suddenly magically plays perfectly fine, the original sample with mono audio on the other hand got the problems mentioned.
Mono files should be internally upmixed to 2.0 but I haven't tried one in a while.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
I read all your information (where you go off suggesting I dont read when I do), sure ok! You just didn't expand on what I suggested which I know works 100%. Not 99% or a little. now you say you did so we need phase2

However it is conditional on the Audio settings being correct as well, I asked again for a screenshot of said settings and instead got some clever reply Which explains ziltch. (trying to get info I deem relevant is like pulling teeth, intead I get what you think is relevant and is not. Wink

For that last part only matters if you finally tell me what your connected to TV or AVR and I get that screenshot.

I wont ask again if you want help, please help me first.

uNi
Sorry, I didn't want to come over that hostile, it just did sound like some standard support answer reading just half of what I posted. Sometimes it's hard getting all the subtle human elements over a post on the internet in a foreign language, lets just say we started off on the wrong foot and try again.

Now on to make this useful:

My setup is as following:

Sound: HTPC - SPDIF Cable - Logitech Z5500 5.1 System
Video: HTPC - HDMI - Samsung TV

Screens of my options:

Image Image Image
@DDDaminan: seems AE tries to transcode to AC3:
00:53:54 T:2499275584 DEBUG: FactoryCodec - Audio: passthrough - Failed
00:53:54 T:2499275584 DEBUG: FactoryCodec - Audio: libmad - Opening
00:53:54 T:2499275584 DEBUG: FactoryCodec - Audio: libmad - Opened
00:53:54 T:2499275584 NOTICE: Creating audio stream (codec id: 86016, channels: 1, sample rate: 48000, no pass-through)

00:53:54 T:2940234560 INFO: CSoftAE::InternalOpenSink - Transcode passthrough enabled
00:53:54 T:2940234560 INFO: CSoftAE::InternalOpenSink - keeping old sink with : AE_FMT_AC3, RAW,RAW, 48000hz
00:53:54 T:2940234560 DEBUG: CSoftAE::InternalOpenSink - Encoding using layout: FL,FR,FC,LFE,BL,BR

@Ursli: can you try to disable all passthrough? Or better set Analog instead of Optical/Coax.
@wsnipex - correct - and your workaround shoukd work.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Spot on, that seems to be the problem indeed, as soon as I turn off AC3/DTS pass-through everything works as expected. If I turn pass-through back on it doesn't matter what the other options are set to I always end up with plenty of errors and dropped frames. It's not a perfect workaround but at least I know what's causing it now. Thanks.

For completeness sake, printscreen of the working config without AC3/DTS pass-through.

Would you need more debug logs or was that enough to confirm the problem?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RC3] trouble with mono audio on video files (dropped frames, errors)0