Linux Latest nVidia driver
Hi all,
I installed the latest nVidia driver that is available today, that is, 310.32.
So far, so good. VDPAU works, processor use is at 4% for a x264 1080p MKV.

Fast-forward and rewind sucks big time (x264 1080p MKV), but I guess that's not a driver issue, probably came with the latest XBMC build I just installed.
Another hick-up was a crash when I pressed the 'Next' button in an MKV stream that had no chapters in it...

I thought I'd let folks know so you can update your drivers.
Someone ought to clean up stuff like this from the wiki.
Latest is not always best, thx though I will stick to 304.64 with none of the issues you describe.

uNi
(2013-01-28, 03:09)Csimbi Wrote: I thought I'd let folks know so you can update your drivers.
Someone ought to clean up stuff like this from the wiki.
Someone=you.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
That needs to be updated, I did a ton of work on wiki and those pages are on my todo list maybe next year.

However the FAQ, explain how to install newer dirvers and that matters. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...d_variants

Again I rather stick to 304.64 and avoid 310.xx and feel free to update the wiki I have some work done on that if you want it Ill plaster it on wiki for you to work from there. However Im versy busy with fonts roboto font adding all languages support and other things.

The wiki has improved a great deal but needs a few more dedicated volunteers to clean-up and updates things properly.

Please feel free to join in on this effort.

uNi
(2013-01-28, 03:28)uNiversal Wrote: Latest is not always best, thx though I will stick to 304.64 with none of the issues you describe.

uNi

Happened with 302.11, too. I'll check 304.64 next time.

(2013-01-28, 04:23)uNiversal Wrote: The wiki has improved a great deal but needs a few more dedicated volunteers to clean-up and updates things properly.

Please feel free to join in on this effort.

uNi
I thought I would but the thing is that someone would need to validate anything I write (i.e. apply an expert filter to spot errors) - to avoid problems.
There's a new driver out; 319.17.
After installing that, none of the movies play (not even YouTube movies).
I suspect HW acceleration is broken.
So, don't use this new driver just yet.
I find it easiest to install the drivers manually using Nvidias own installer. That way I can easily revert to older drivers if the new one doesn't work. The newest driver usually works fine though, I've had to revert maybe two or three times in the last 2-3 years, so the advice to "just install the latest driver" is mostly good.
(2013-05-05, 17:38)Csimbi Wrote: There's a new driver out; 319.17.
After installing that, none of the movies play (not even YouTube movies).
I suspect HW acceleration is broken.
So, don't use this new driver just yet.

I wish it was hardware acceleration that was broken however even software rendering gives the green screen. So far it looks like only XBMC is effected as all other players run fine using vdpau, openGL, etc.
I am having the same experience using the latest driver on Ubuntu.

I have a GeForce GTX560Ti with the Nvidia 319.17 driver.

I am running XBMC version 12.2.

Is there a dependency broken somewhere? Is there another build that I could use that fixes this issue?
What kernel? I have seen mentioned elsewhere that a recent (like 3.8+) kernel might be needed.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'm running 3.2.0-38-generic-pae with the 319.17 and getting green screen for all playback , going to try to switch back to 310, but was having troubles.
Go further back to 304.x versions and stick to them for the forseable future, or Nvidia fix backwards compatibility with older kernels with newer drivers properly.

uNi
Linux Mint Nadia amd64
kernel - 3.9.0-030900-generic
drivers - 313.18

no problems Smile

I will stick with these for a while b/c to install them was like pain in ... Shocked Big Grin

If somebody has feeling to set out adventure journey with linux prompt:
1. download debs from https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+arch...ld/4227542
2. unpack them see: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=60431
3. edit conftest.sh (to bypass nvidia ignoring higher kernels) see:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/251385/tr...from-3-7-5
4. generate new debs and install them
Nick,
Here is my output from uname -a:
3.8.0-19-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 1 16:35:23 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I am using Xubuntu 13.04.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Latest nVidia driver0