New to This
Hi Guys i have XBMC on my main pc in the bedroom with about 4tb of movies tv music etc... Absolutely Love xbmc...
What i wanted to know is now i have my libary set up etc.. what is the best device i could use for watching the content on my living room Tv? Ie something like Gbox midnight? what i guess im asking is if i buy another device with xbmc for the living room is there a way it can see my libary so i can watch stuff on the living room tv or is there a better way for me to do this without another device?
I have my main pc running Windows 7 @ XBMC

my media is stored on a NAS box, I use a mySQL database which is also running on the NAS and which I update via my main PC.

In my lounge I have a Raspberry Pi running raspbmc, this is conencted via HDMI to my amp and the amp is conencted to the tv via HDMI...

I can use the TV remote to control XBMC.

Cheap setup and it works quite well.
Main = Intel 37770k - Win 8.1 x64 | Office PC = Intel Q6600 - Win 7 x64 | HTPC = Intel NUC - Ubuntu 14.10 | Tablet = Nexus 7 (2013) - Android 4.4.5 All running Gotham 13.2
Server = Dell Powededge 2850 - Ubuntu Server 14.04 - MySQL, SABNZBD+, Couchpotato, SickRage, Headphones, Apache | NAS = HP StorageWorks P4500 G2 SAN - Ubuntu Server 14.04 - 21TB RAID5 + Hot spare

Ok So if i use another device like a gbox with xbmc can i view the libary from xbmc on my pc? as i dont have networked drives
Yes, you just need to set your media HDDs/File to network shared on the "server/storage" device, then add those locations in the client device, by browsing to them.

I don't use any of these library managers, like mySql (Though I'm thinking about it), and the built in library system works just fine. I just need to make a change on each client when I update the media library.
Ok thank you guys will Look in to it.... Might just splash out and build a media pc though haha
there are pro's and con's to both methods...

for example if you share the folder on the main pc and configure xbmc on the media box you then have to maintain two xbmc installs.. i.e update library etc each time you add something new.

with mysql you make the change on one machine and it's automatically updated on the other at the same time as they are sharing the same database. another handy option is you start watching a movie in your lounge.. then stop it midway.. go jump in bed and resume where you left off.
Main = Intel 37770k - Win 8.1 x64 | Office PC = Intel Q6600 - Win 7 x64 | HTPC = Intel NUC - Ubuntu 14.10 | Tablet = Nexus 7 (2013) - Android 4.4.5 All running Gotham 13.2
Server = Dell Powededge 2850 - Ubuntu Server 14.04 - MySQL, SABNZBD+, Couchpotato, SickRage, Headphones, Apache | NAS = HP StorageWorks P4500 G2 SAN - Ubuntu Server 14.04 - 21TB RAID5 + Hot spare

(2013-01-28, 16:27)Ardalista Wrote: there are pro's and con's to both methods...

for example if you share the folder on the main pc and configure xbmc on the media box you then have to maintain two xbmc installs.. i.e update library etc each time you add something new.

In reality, not a difficult or even time consuming task.

Quote:with mysql you make the change on one machine and it's automatically updated on the other at the same time as they are sharing the same database.

Which is the main reason I'm looking at mySql.

Quote: another handy option is you start watching a movie in your lounge.. then stop it midway.. go jump in bed and resume where you left off.

This is what I need to look into. While on the surface this sounds great, in my house hold this is not. Currently I use one HTPC, while my girlfriend uses a different client to watch movies from the same library. This could cause issues when I leave a movie part way watched, due to needing to head to school or work, and she by chance wants to watch the same movie, it would want to start it part way through.
As long as this feature can be turned off, I'll be looking into this further.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New to This0