HOW-TO Update local thumbnails for Frodo
Disclaimer: DO NOT TRY THIS WITHOUT TESTING FIRST! I make no guarantees that this will work. I can only say that it *might* mess up your whole system - and that's not my fault!

Ok, I was reading in the Wiki the XBMC v12 (Frodo) FAQ about the new/different thumbnails names. I haven't updated my system since Dharma so there's a fair bit of changes for me. Here's my old setup:

TV/
-The Simpsons
--banner.jpg
--fanart.jpg
--folder.jpg
--logo.png
--season-all.tbn
--season-01.tbn
--The Simpsons.tbn
--Season 1/
---The Simpsons - S01E01 - Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire.avi
---The Simpsons - S01E01 - Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire.nfo
---The Simpsons - S01E01 - Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire.tbn

etc... Frodo wants it to look like this:

TV/
-The Simpsons
--banner.jpg
--fanart.jpg
--poster.jpg
--logo.png
--season-all-poster.jpg
--season-01-poster.jpg
--The Simpsons.tbn <--not needed
--Season 1/
---The Simpsons - S01E01 - Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire.avi
---The Simpsons - S01E01 - Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire.nfo
---The Simpsons - S01E01 - Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire-thumb.jpg

So I got together a few bash commands to do most of the work:

change .tbn to .jpg/png
Code:
find . -type f -iname "*.tbn" | while read FNAME; do mv "$FNAME" "${FNAME%.tbn}.jpg"; done

rename "folder.jpg/png" to "poster.jpg/png"
Code:
find . -type f -iname 'folder.*' -print0 | xargs -0 -n1 bash -c 'mv "$0" "${0/folder/poster}"'

Rename "season-specials.jpg" to "season-specials-poster.jpg"
Code:
find . -type f -iname 'season*.jpg' -print0 | xargs -0 -n1 bash -c 'mv "$0" "${0/.jpg/-poster.jpg}"'

Rename "Show - S##E## - name.jpg" to "show - S##E## - name-thumb.jpg
Having trouble with this one as OS X doesn't support -regextype in find and my QNAP doesn't even support -regex in find at all! I'm afraid it's going to take a perl script or something.

Remove "Show Name.jpg" from "Show Name/"
Haven't started on this one yet...

-----
Many of these can be adapted easily for other types of renaming (use png instead of jpg, etc...) and I have executed these listed above against my own TV folders FWIW.
Just want to point out that you don't have to do that at all - Frodo will use the old ones just as well.

It may be preferred, but that's preference - up to the user.

Only ones that HAVE to change is VIDEO_TS/BDMV stuff which should be in the main folder, not in the VIDEO_TS/BDMV folder.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2013-01-29, 04:33)jmarshall Wrote: Just want to point out that you don't have to do that at all - Frodo will use the old ones just as well.

It may be preferred, but that's preference - up to the user.

Only ones that HAVE to change is VIDEO_TS/BDMV stuff which should be in the main folder, not in the VIDEO_TS/BDMV folder.

Well that's great to know, thanks! I still prefer to use the new format as long as I'm setting up a new instance of XBMC too, might as well be forward-facing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO Update local thumbnails for Frodo0