Can't seem to remove non-existent Genres from music library
One further bit of info if it helps-

I had one album with a mis-spelled genre, which of course displayed this in the XBMC genre list. I fixed the genre in mp3tag, updated library in XBMC, and the mis-spelled genre was removed. all seemed perfect. This album had typical ID3 tags.

I also had one mp3 music file that appeared tagged properly but was showing "Unknown" genre in XBMC. I reviewed the file in mp3tag, and it looked ok - mp3tag and also musicbrainz displayed the genre on the file correctly. I noticed the file was tagged with typical ID3 tags, and also an APEv2 tag. I stripped the tags off file and re-added ID3 tags with mp3tag. did an 'update library' in XBMC and now the music file properly shows the genre. However, the previous "unknown" genre introduced by this file will not go away. I tried another clean library, reboot, no luck.

Maybe the issue of persistent genre entries has to do with music files which have this combo tagging of ID3 / APE? I could try to dig up another one of these types of dual tagged files and send to you for review. Use case is, we often update genres on added music based on listening prefs. For example, Coldplay is by default tagged as "rock" by most music databases. But in our house, this is firmly "pop" music and is edited accordingly. These updates need to always be correct without an eventual littered list of disconnected genre entries.

I have also noticed that a number of artist list entires are not mapping to the corresponding music file. I will see an entry - click it - and get 'nothing found' - but the files are indeed there on the NAS server. I'm not seeing a common reason why some would do this and others work correctly. Definitely not a share issue or permissions issue, because these same files can be played via the album view or genre view.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can't seem to remove non-existent Genres from music library - by kurtlewis - 2013-01-30, 17:09
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't seem to remove non-existent Genres from music library0