• 32(current)
Release Picture Slideshow Screensaver
Maybe I can find a way to build the extrafanart file list separately and insert the references into the table that the screensaver uses. Unless the files are expected to be in a specific directory or the default fanart pictures are stored in the database directly. Thanks again for confirming.
How hard would it be to have this play video as well?
(2015-05-11, 23:54)buddylee7 Wrote: How hard would it be to have this play video as well?

hmm... tough to answer.
sometimes there's only one way to find out, and that's to actually code it.

i'll try to find some spare time this week to have a go at it.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2015-05-11, 21:18)DrJogalog Wrote: Maybe I can find a way to build the extrafanart file list separately and insert the references into the table that the screensaver uses. Unless the files are expected to be in a specific directory or the default fanart pictures are stored in the database directly. Thanks again for confirming.

I assume the screensaver reads from the ART table and references back to the MOVIES or TVSHOW table to fetch the video name? The field URL in the ART table is full of weblinks to the pictures, which I also assume the screensaver reads then caches the image (along with the movie/showname?) if the cache is enabled? If I insert SMB share references to the extrafanart, along with all the other fields populated accordingly, would the screensaver be able to show them? Or would it only work with hosted URL's etc?
(2015-05-12, 00:28)DrJogalog Wrote:
(2015-05-11, 21:18)DrJogalog Wrote: Maybe I can find a way to build the extrafanart file list separately and insert the references into the table that the screensaver uses. Unless the files are expected to be in a specific directory or the default fanart pictures are stored in the database directly. Thanks again for confirming.

I assume the screensaver reads from the ART table and references back to the MOVIES or TVSHOW table to fetch the video name? The field URL in the ART table is full of weblinks to the pictures, which I also assume the screensaver reads then caches the image (along with the movie/showname?) if the cache is enabled? If I insert SMB share references to the extrafanart, along with all the other fields populated accordingly, would the screensaver be able to show them? Or would it only work with hosted URL's etc?

the screensaver doesn't directly access the database.
it makes a json-rpc call to kodi and asks for a list of all movies/tv shows and the path to their fanart image.
when it gets this list of paths to each fanart image, it passes the path one by one to kodi and requests to display the image.

so the addon does not access the database, does not download and does not cache images. all that is done by kodi.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2015-05-11, 23:54)buddylee7 Wrote: How hard would it be to have this play video as well?

turns out to be impossible.
when a video is started, Kodi will exit the screensaver.
(2015-05-12, 00:53)ronie Wrote:
(2015-05-12, 00:28)DrJogalog Wrote:

the screensaver doesn't directly access the database.
it makes a json-rpc call to kodi and asks for a list of all movies/tv shows and the path to their fanart image.
when it gets this list of paths to each fanart image, it passes the path one by one to kodi and requests to display the image.

so the addon does not access the database, does not download and does not cache images. all that is done by kodi.

Oh well, was worth asking anywhere. Thanks Ronie.
(2015-05-12, 20:36)ronie Wrote:

turns out to be impossible.
when a video is started, Kodi will exit the screensaver.

Thanks for looking into it
(2015-05-11, 17:12)ronie Wrote:
(2015-05-11, 16:52)buddylee7 Wrote: Would be cool if it could pull pictures from Dropbox so if you have family members that use the screen saver they can all pull from the same location. When pulling pull the copies and store them locally and periodically check to see if any have been added or removed from drop box. Also if it could play video Wink

wouldn't it be possible to use your local dropbox folder?
then there would be no need to download anything.

the addon already checks for updates/removals every 30mins.

So I ended up downloading the Dropbox plugin and it works well but doesn't seem to sync anything unless manually going into the folder structure...doesn't seem to sync periodically in the background. Thoughts?
(2015-05-14, 19:45)buddylee7 Wrote: So I ended up downloading the Dropbox plugin and it works well but doesn't seem to sync anything unless manually going into the folder structure...doesn't seem to sync periodically in the background. Thoughts?

it does for me. that's all i know :-)
you're more likely to find an answer on the dropbox forum i think.
(2015-05-14, 20:06)ronie Wrote:
(2015-05-14, 19:45)buddylee7 Wrote: So I ended up downloading the Dropbox plugin and it works well but doesn't seem to sync anything unless manually going into the folder structure...doesn't seem to sync periodically in the background. Thoughts?

it does for me. that's all i know :-)
you're more likely to find an answer on the dropbox forum i think.

I got it working but seems like I need to reboot every time I delete or add pictures for it to take effect.
Have been using this screensaver for years on a OpenElec installation. Everything worked perfect panning and zooming the backgrounds of my Movies and Series. Now switched to Raspberyy Pi 2 with OSMC, resulting into black bars in about every other background. Looks like it pans out of the photo. I already set scale to full-screen in the options, but did not have any result. Anyone has a clue why this is?
Love this addon, but not so much the latest change, 2.1.1 'add background image to reduce black borders'.

Is there any chance that could be an option that the user can toggle, rather than an enforced 'feature', because with some pictures it just looks plain ugly. I'd much prefer the black bars/borders with images that don't fit the screen, rather than seeing sections of an enlarged, faded background image.

Thanks in advance if you can achieve it. Smile
Agree with the above, I don't think the new look is successful. Optional would be great!
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
I also agree with the above - make this an option. As a photographer, I'd much rather have the black borders for my crafted pictures.
  • 32(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Picture Slideshow Screensaver4