Raspmbc install to SMB share?
In my experience network boot is a little slower than a usb install but it has other advantages as stated above.
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
(2013-02-01, 18:51)MilhouseVH Wrote:
(2013-02-01, 18:45)danmedhurst Wrote: So does automatic updating have problems with the latest OpenElec if you are running from USB or SMB or did i read that wrong?

Yes, and no you didn't read it wrong. It's issue #1653, and a patch is available.

USB too?

(2013-02-01, 19:35)danmedhurst Wrote: USB too?

Yes.

If you're interested in testing it, there's a modified KERNEL and KERNEL.md5 you can download. You'll need to seed your SD card with the modified KERNEL (rename it to kernel.img), boot it, then drop the same modified KERNEL+KERNEL.md5 and your current SYSTEM+SYSTEM.md5 in the Update folder and reboot again, which should then update your USB with the SYSTEM file, and the kernel and bootloader files should be written to the SD card (it's these latter files that go missing in action without the modified kernel). Any problems please let me know!
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I think this explains why i had network problems after reboot.

I didn't do an auto update, i did a manual so i downloaded the files and put them in the update share and rebooted.. then i had no network at all.. So i dumped the files onto the sd card (renamed kernel to kernel.img) and things started working again.. looks like i just did things backwards Smile

Good to know though for next time.. How do i know for 100% sure that i'm running everything up to date? (as in the 2.99.2 build)..

When i SSH in , it says im on openelec 2.99.2 and a uname -a shows that im running kernel 3.6.11
(2013-02-02, 13:15)danmedhurst Wrote: Good to know though for next time.. How do i know for 100% sure that i'm running everything up to date? (as in the 2.99.2 build)..

When i SSH in , it says im on openelec 2.99.2 and a uname -a shows that im running kernel 3.6.11

Did you copy the 3rdparty/bootloader files to your SD card also? They'd be the only other files that go AWOL during an OpenELEC USB/NFS/SMB auto-update. "vcgencmd version" will give you the version of your bootloader (firmware) files - not sure what was supplied with RC2 though.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-02-02, 13:36)MilhouseVH Wrote:
(2013-02-02, 13:15)danmedhurst Wrote: Good to know though for next time.. How do i know for 100% sure that i'm running everything up to date? (as in the 2.99.2 build)..

Did you copy the 3rdparty/bootloader files to your SD card also? They'd be the only other files that go AWOL during an OpenELEC USB/NFS/SMB auto-update. "vcgencmd version" will give you the version of your bootloader (firmware) files - not sure what was supplied with RC2 though.

I didn't no..

this is what i get when i run that command :

Dec 28 2012 11:22:54
Copyright © 2012 Broadcom
version 359904 (release)

I'm tempted to backup my config and database and do a fresh install.. although i'm having no problems what so ever at the moment..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspmbc install to SMB share?0