Live TV energy saving function
Activates the user shutdown function, under Setting->System->Power saving, after a given period of inactivity while watching live TV.

A lot of recent TVs have this function: e.g. three minutes before the timeout, the user has to press OK on the TV remote to cancel the shutdown timer.
so like auto-shutdown after you fell asleep in front of live TV for 2 hours?
Exactly. Happened to me last night: the TV has switched off (I set four hours), while the next morning XBMC was still there playing the live tv channel (proudly).
It survived - wohooo Big Grin
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Don't we already have this with the custom shutdown timer, accessible from the shutdown menu?
It should help you when you forget to set a custom shutdown timer. And it's slighty different: whatever you are doing, when the custom shutdown timer is reached the shutdown action is taken, while this one will occurs only after the given period of inactivity during a live tv session.
But how do you know what inactivity is when someone is watching TV...
Should be in the same way as XBMC detects the idle time: if you stay tuned in a channel for about four hours (timeout previously setted, usually longest than the idle timeout) without interacting with XBMC (no volume changes, no zapping, nothing) then XBMC will ask you if you are still there with a message "XBMC will shutdown/standby/hibernate (whatever is the user shutdown function) in 3 minutes. Press OK to continue watching live TV".
You also need to consider if the tv backend runs on the same box. If this is the case you can't shutdown when a recording is active or about to start in the next couple of minutes. A potential solution should also provide a hook for calling external scripts for programming timers or ACPI.
yes, good observations. Seems that XBMC already provides a hook for calling external scripts for programming timers http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR...wer_Saving
Alright, I think I'm getting it now. Someone in another forum suggested 3 hours for a timer with it also being configurable. I would probably go to 4, but minor detail.

So Live TV timer that only activates on live TV and not on videos. I would suggest making it so that instead of sleeping or shutting down, the live TV timer (if activated) would simply stop live TV playback. Then XBMC's or the HTPC's OS's energy saving settings would then kick in.
(2013-02-05, 01:33)Ned Scott Wrote: Alright, I think I'm getting it now. Someone in another forum suggested 3 hours for a timer with it also being configurable. I would probably go to 4, but minor detail.

So Live TV timer that only activates on live TV and not on videos. I would suggest making it so that instead of sleeping or shutting down, the live TV timer (if activated) would simply stop live TV playback. Then XBMC's or the HTPC's OS's energy saving settings would then kick in.

Would be rather annoying if your in the middle of the most epic scene ever Smile

A further suggestion, perhaps we could make this a tad intelligent with CEC. i.e. if the TV is off or not viewing xbmc then consider live tv "idle".
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
(2013-02-05, 09:58)topfs2 Wrote:
(2013-02-05, 01:33)Ned Scott Wrote: Alright, I think I'm getting it now. Someone in another forum suggested 3 hours for a timer with it also being configurable. I would probably go to 4, but minor detail.

Would be rather annoying if your in the middle of the most epic scene ever Smile

A further suggestion, perhaps we could make this a tad intelligent with CEC. i.e. if the TV is off or not viewing xbmc then consider live tv "idle".

Yep Big Grin due the fact that is an action taken by XBMC, maybe is needed ask an ack to the user (the message "XBMC will bla bla... press "ok" to continue watching live TV").

I think also if we could make this a tad intelligent with CEC, maybe will be there some false positive to be managed
In the case of CEC, shouldn't XBMC be receiving (or optionally receiving) a command for when the TV turns off?
(2013-02-08, 06:26)Ned Scott Wrote: In the case of CEC, shouldn't XBMC be receiving (or optionally receiving) a command for when the TV turns off?

Yeah that was my thinking aswell. So we disable any timer when we have CEC, as then we can assume that if TV is on and watching xbmc, user is watching xbmc.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live TV energy saving function0